Who is UNT's football rival?

GM1998

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Moot point. They don't even show up in Ford vs anyone. They are outmanned in their own stadium vs ANY regional opponent. What makes you think that would change away from their own campus? 

They had more fans than UNT last year at their stadium. And UNT had about 7k there. 

Please deal in facts, Ben.

They don't care about this game and will have anything better to do on Labor Day weekend. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

They had more fans than UNT last year at their stadium. And UNT had about 7k there. 

They don't care about this game and will have anything better to do on Labor Day weekend. 

7k is a number you just pulled out of your ass. You use "about" in one sentence while telling me to use facts the very next sentence. And let them not care, please. That doesn't change anything. If anything, them not caring kind of solidifies who they are. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

7k is a number you just pulled out of your ass. You use "about" in one sentence while telling me to use facts the very next sentence. And let them not care, please. That doesn't change anything. If anything, them not caring kind of solidifies who they are. 

No, them not caring solidifies your inadequecies as a college football fan and proves this is not a rivalry. 

Good Lord, the beaten down pyschi of this fan base is just astounding sometimes.

Most of this board needs college football fan therapy.

• Downvote 11

35 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

No, them not caring solidifies your inadequecies as a college football fan and proves this is not a rivalry. 

Good Lord, the beaten down pyschi of this fan base is just astounding sometimes.

Most of this board needs college football fan therapy.

You make 0 sense. None. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

You make 0 sense. None. 

Really? because reading back through your continually shifting arguments to first justify a one sided "rivalry" and then to claim that the "rivalry" isn't one sided, among many other inconsistencies, one could fairly draw that exact conclusion from your statements. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

I grew up in Ft. Worth, following and loving SWC Football in the 70s and 80s. Trust me, TCU fans loathe SMU, even though they look down on them today. Trust me, when I was a kid, SMU was the exact opposite of TCU, hating them while dominating them.

In this region of the country, you have several rivalries that have deep-seeded hate. It requires you to know college football beyond 200, though.

Texas-OU

Texas-A&M

OU-OSU

Tech-A&M  (this used to be really ugly)

TCU-SMU

A&M-LSU (this is an old rivalry that has been rekindled by the SEC--they used to play each other to open the season pretty regularly in decades past)

Texas-Arkansas--this was, by far, the best rivalry in the old SWC days--Arky HATES Texas

Baylor--TCU--really heated up in the last few years, but it is deep-seeded in old SWC hatred.

Rice-UH --Bayou Bucket Rivals

UNT-SMU--its mostly one-sided, because we hate that they have had so much influence on keeping us down from a conference standpoint, but SMU hates us because they have fallen so much that they aren't rivals with Texas anymore, but North Texas instead. I don't blame them for feeling this way because:

UNT-UTSA--they got a free rivalry with us because of CUSA membership built on being in a big city and being supported by that market. While we tripped all over ourselves for decades, when UTSA decided they wanted to be a player at this level, it went very smoothly, with no one there to block their progress. Meanwhile, we cannot believe that they are where we are after we have played football for 100 years and they have played it for about 5-6 years. I actually think its a solid rivalry to have for us, but I also believe that Texas State should be playing us and UTSA every year. When SMU drops us here in that series, Wren Baker should call Texas State immediately.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Really? because reading back through your continually shifting arguments to first justify a one sided "rivalry" and then to claim that the "rivalry" isn't one sided, among many other inconsistencies, one could fairly draw that exact conclusion from your statements. 

The rivalry may be more one sided than it needs to be. But that will change when we start beating their heads in. But you are just all over the place in most topics. You slant your viewpoints all the time pending the topic to push whatever trumped up agenda you have on this board. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

No, they didn't. 7K isn't an accurate number either.

They don't care about their team no matter who plays.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I grew up in Ft. Worth, following and loving SWC Football in the 70s and 80s. Trust me, TCU fans loathe SMU, even though they look down on them today. Trust me, when I was a kid, SMU was the exact opposite of TCU, hating them while dominating them.

In this region of the country, you have several rivalries that have deep-seeded hate. It requires you to know college football beyond 200, though.

Texas-OU

Texas-A&M

OU-OSU

TCU-SMU

A&M-LSU (this is an old rivalry that has been rekindled by the SEC--they used to play each other to open the season pretty regularly in decades past)

Texas-Arkansas--this was, by far, the best rivalry in the old SWC days--Arky HATES Texas

Baylor--TCU--really heated up in the last few years, but it is deep-seeded in old SWC hatred.

UNT-SMU--its mostly one-sided, because we hate that they have had so much influence on keeping us down from a conference standpoint, but SMU hates us because they have fallen so much that they aren't rivals with Texas anymore, but North Texas instead. I don't blame them for feeling this way because:

UNT-UTSA--they got a free rivalry with us because of CUSA membership built on being in a big city and being supported by that market. While we tripped all over ourselves for decades, when UTSA decided they wanted to be a player at this level, it went very smoothly, with no one there to block their progress. Meanwhile, we cannot believe that they are where we are after we have played football for 100 years and they have played it for about 5-6 years. I actually think its a solid rivalry to have for us, but I also believe that Texas State should be playing us and UTSA every year. When SMU drops us here in that series, Wren Baker should call Texas State immediately.

I personally like the idea of playing Texas State, but I think it's a downward move to have them on the slate in a long term deal and I say that resenting my own self bc I sound smu-ish. But we need to be looking for more name brand opponents and I'm not sure Texas St fits that bill at all. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I would like to revise my answer Alex.  I believe UNT90 is the rival of UNT Football.

And I believe people like you with your terrible expectations and rah rah feel goofiness 3 weeks out of the year are the rival of UNT football. 

I expect you to be all rosey with a 2 or 3 win season this year. Actually, I expect you to never expect anything.

23 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

No, they didn't. 7K isn't an accurate number either.

They don't care about their team no matter who plays.

Yes, their fans out numbered UNT fans by several thousands. ?

They REALLY don't care when their team plays UNT. 

Then again, maybe these are your RV athletic department counting skills on display again...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And I believe people like you with your terrible expectations and rah rah feel goofiness 3 weeks out of the year are the rival of UNT football. 

I expect you to be all rosey with a 2 or 3 win season this year. Actually, I expect you to never expect anything.

Yes, their fans out numbered UNT fans by several thousands. ?

They REALLY don't care when their team plays UNT. 

No, their fans didn't.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I personally like the idea of playing Texas State, but I think it's a downward move to have them on the slate in a long term deal and I say that resenting my own self bc I sound smu-ish. But we need to be looking for more name brand opponents and I'm not sure Texas St fits that bill at all. 

Believe it or not, it would probably serve our program more to be playing Texas State regularly, even with SMU on the schedule, too. I would rather be playing Texas State than the FCS schools, even if it meant playing 5 home games in the seasons we play at SMU.

Texas State has a $hit ton of alumni and they would bring more fans to the games at Apogee than SMU ever will. Plus, we recruit heavily against Texas State across the state, more than we do against SMU, both right now and in previous seasons.

• Downvote 1

51 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Texas-OU

Texas-A&M

OU-OSU

TCU-SMU

TXST and UTSA have a signed multi-year deal. If UNT were to sign, it would be interesting to watch that develop. It would help them play up and UNT\UTSA have a winnable D1 game to prepare for conference.

Edited by UTSA Fan

1 minute ago, UTSA Fan said:

TXST and UTSA have a signed multi-year deal. If UNT were to sign, it would be interesting to watch that develop. 

I saw that and I think its great for both of them. And you don't have to worry about Texas State buying out the contract.

I can only imagine what its gonna look like around here when SMU stops this series after four games. Only way it doesn't occur is if they cannot get any better than they are right now, which is possible. If Chad Morris fails there, they will still need us for a winnable opponent and a decent draw to their games. Otherwise, I fully expect that we will see this series go away after 2017, allowing us the opportunity to get with Texas State and schedule them in OOC.

29 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Still waiting on you to find one post of mine that shows these are my expectations.  Just one.  Must be nice to live off of assumptions and speculation.  You don't ever have to be right, just right in your own mind.

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Believe it or not, it would probably serve our program more to be playing Texas State regularly, even with SMU on the schedule, too. I would rather be playing Texas State than the FCS schools, even if it meant playing 5 home games in the seasons we play at SMU.

Texas State has a $hit ton of alumni and they would bring more fans to the games at Apogee than SMU ever will. Plus, we recruit heavily against Texas State across the state, more than we do against SMU, both right now and in previous seasons.

Never again 5 home games. Never. Now I can get on board with replacing FCS with an opponent like Texas St. But if it reduces us to 5 homes games then never. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I put him on ignore, but then I see quotes in other people's post where he is in attack mode.  Back to ignore. 

Right, because refusing to listen to any opinion but your own is intellectually honest. Lol. 

I have no one on ignore, not even that troll Cougar Queen, because, who knows, maybe someday he will say something worthwhile. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

Never again 5 home games. Never. Now I can get on board with replacing FCS with an opponent like Texas St. But if it reduces us to 5 homes games then never. 

What if it means replacing Army with Texas State and then leaving the FCS games for opponents in a home-and-home series like BYU, AFA, or Boise State? Because, to me, I will never attend a game at Apogee that involves an FCS opponent, unless we are FCS, too. But I would gladly accept 5 home games if it means that I can travel to Dallas for a pseudo home game against SMU, while getting BYU or Boise State at home.

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

What if it means replacing Army with Texas State and then leaving the FCS games for opponents in a home-and-home series like BYU, AFA, or Boise State? Because, to me, I will never attend a game at Apogee that involves an FCS opponent, unless we are FCS, too. But I would gladly accept 5 home games if it means that I can travel to Dallas for a pseudo home game against SMU, while getting BYU or Boise State at home.

I get it, but I want us on the path of least resistance to W's. 5 home games, even with the semi home game at Ford, doesn't bode well. Playing 7 true road games is a recipe for a losing season. If we want to invite Tx St to our house to replace a FCS then that's fine, but the return game would have to either not happen or be far off in the distance. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:27 PM, Side Show Joe said:

SMU is our rival. Just because they live in denial doesn't change the facts.

We certainly aren't their only rival, but I believe we are the best one they have right now. They have lost most of their old rivals since the death penalty. TCU has moved on since joining the Big12. Now Houston is trying to make a move and seems to be viewing SMU as being beneath them. Sure they still have rivalries with the likes of Tulsa and Tulane, but our battle in DFW certainly means more to their fans then games against those private schools. I can't remember any SMU coach stepping down after a loss to Tulane or Tulsa.

SMU needs to realize they have a unique football history. They need to learn to separate the pre-death penalty years from the post-death penalty years. They just are not that program anymore. They want to pretend they are still that old Southwest Conference program, with rivals like TCU, but they just aren't.

In the past 10 seasons North Texas is 2-2 versus SMU. We compete with them for attention in DFW. And, we also target many of the same recruits.

SMU is our biggest rival, and we are theirs, regardless of what they think.

I don't think you can tell someone you're their rival and suddenly it is true. I'm not sure if you are joking about UNT being SMU's biggest rival, or not? But what do you base that on, seriously? If you asked any SMU fan (current student, young alum, old alum) who are SMU's rivals, I don't think anyone would say UNT. And that is nothing against UNT. It's just that we have never been in the same conference and we've rarely played each other. If I had to name SMU's top 5 rivals they would be TCU, UH, Baylor, Rice and maybe Texas Tech since we have continued to play them post SWC.

TCU has moved on and they are doing well but we continue to play them every year in most sports and just as important is the schools are very similar - private, compete for the same students, similar student bodies, 40 miles apart and we were in a conference together for over 80 years. Also, despite the recent success of TCU football the all-time records in football and basketball are still close. Football - TCU leads 48-40-8. Basketball - SMU leads 109-89. 

After visiting your board for awhile now, there are many posters on here who seem to really hate SMU for whatever reason, and I'm not asking why as I've read the many stereotypes posted about SMU over and over. Honestly, before visiting this board I had no clue there was any animosity between the school's fans. Most of my SMU friends I stay in contact with love Denton and have nothing bad to say about UNT. Also, the UNT people I know and work with have never once mentioned that they dislike SMU in anyway. I'm not trying to change your opinion of SMU because I know I'm not going to but I have no idea where all the hate comes from, and we have never blackballed you from a conference since I've been at SMU (mid-2000s). That's a myth.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2