Who is UNT's football rival?

GM1998

Who are rival really is... UTSA.

Who we think our rival is... SMU

Who I would like our rival to be... La Tech

Hear me out... UTSA: we dont like them and they dont like us.  We dont like them bc they came up fast and have a seat at a table that has take us years to get to. So, some of us look down on them and dont think they are qualified to be our rival.  They are.

SMU: Kind of the reverse of the above.  SMU thinks they are way better than us and probably views us the we we view UTSA.  However, they are in our backyard.  They are snobby, we are a state school, they have the $$, we are using an old high school for some of our facilities.  In the series... they OWN us.  We need a few more wins before we can call this a true rivalry.  Also, they are not in conference.  So, once this agreement for games is over... theres no promise they will reup. 

La Tech:  This one make a lot of sense.  They win.  They are the next state over.  We should care about beating them and they should about us.  However, I just dont see the rivalry there.  Why is that?

Anyway... those are my thoughts 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

Hear me out... UTSA: we dont like them and they dont like us.  We dont like them bc they came up fast and have a seat at a table that has take us years to get to. So, some of us look down on them and dont think they are qualified to be our rival.  They are.

SMU: Kind of the reverse of the above.  SMU thinks they are way better than us and probably views us the we we view UTSA.  However, they are in our backyard.  They are snobby, we are a state school, they have the $$, we are using an old high school for some of our facilities.  In the series... they OWN us.  We need a few more wins before we can call this a true rivalry.  Also, they are not in conference.  So, once this agreement for games is over... theres no promise they will reup. 

La Tech:  This one make a lot of sense.  They win.  They are the next state over.  We should care about beating them and they should about us.  However, I just dont see the rivalry there.  Why is that?

The longer we stay in a conference with LaTech the more that rivalry is going to develop, impo.  They field a competitive football team year in and year out.  Very few others at the G5 level can say the same.  As long as we stay competitive we are going to continue to run up against them in the race to win the west division. 

UTSA would not even be considered were it not for their propensity to treat the game against us as a grudge match and the resulting hyper-tense, close games every year.  As long as the games are close it is going to get harder and harder for us to deny this developing rivalry.  It sure would be nice if they'd step it up, though.  Get some dang facilities built, increase their academic prestige, or do something in the sports realm so they aren't so easy to under-value and dismiss.  I totally agree with the point MrStrange made.  Me not wanting to be associated with them is no different than how the smu'ers view us.

• Upvote 2

On 5/28/2019 at 8:03 AM, MrStrange18 said:

When UTSA first started with their program, the reality was that there was the rivalry atmosphere when we played. The new car smell of their football program has worn off a bit, but you're right. We play them in the part of the year where we need a win for first or second in the conference, and we have both spoiled each other's seasons. every other year. ex, we beat them the 1-11 season, the spoiled our 2013 season to the championship, etc, etc. Rivalries develop through the intensity and grudging each year. 

SMU- I wish I could argue about the "In the series... they OWN us." But it is true.  Besides that, I think a lot of us UNT fans enjoy going to Dallas for games. We bring a bigger crowd to their stadium every other year lol. There is no promise they will reup the series, but i sure hope another deal is made. Because as a fan, I enjoy going to Dallas to see my team play every other year, But we need to beat them at Ford..  Boo SMUt

"La Tech:  This one make a lot of sense.  They win.  They are the next state over.  We should care about beating them and they should about us.  However, I just dont see the rivalry there.  Why is that?"

^ Last year's game it felt like a rivalry to me. I think we need to keep having winning seasons. We aren't going to develop a rivalry with a winning program like LA Tech, if we don't match the success. So to answer that question IMO, I believe we are developing a rivalry and keeping Seth around is showing we're putting in the effort to do so.  Plus, I like LA Tech's fans that come on our board. A rivalry, but sportsmanship at the end of the day. 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 4

It's entirely fine for a school to have more than one rival in athletics. My other (FCS) school has almost an entire conference of rivals. UNT's fall into a few broad categories.

Historical possibilities would be our conference mates. TIAA starts us off with Rice, TCU and Texas State. After the TIAA died we formed the Lone Star Conference (in Denton) with Texas State, and made a titanic mistake in allowing Houston to join. Being jackasses, we and Houston left that one to form the Gulf Coast Conference (also in Denton). Houston then had the brilliant idea to leave that and join the Missouri Valley Conference, which was a great idea we jumped at when they had to replace Oklahoma State. The MVC gives us a list of interesting possibilities: Louisville, Cincy, Memphis and NMSU. Southland and beyond is sufficiently modern, so let's stop there. 

Number is also important, of course. Here we come up against an anomaly. There's one team, the team we've played the most, who we've never been in a conference with. That suggests that both schools see each other as some sort of special case, which in turn suggests a rivalry. If you play each other every 2-3 years for nearly a century, despite never being in the same conference but because everyone in your locality knows everyone else, that's a rivalry. So there's #1: SMU.

For number of times we've played, it's an easy list. NMSU, UTEP, Tulsa and Arkansas State round out the top 5. But wait - we've heard about one of those teams before. Let's keep listening.

Balance is there, and has a role to play. So who have we played more then 12 times and kept the series within 20%? That's some familiar names, because conferences. Louisville, Cincy, Southern Miss, MTSU, Houston and 3 Louisianas. 

What if we expand balance to 40% spread... still reasonable. What happens then? I hope you like Marty Robbins and Marty Robbins of the Suburbs.  NMSU and UTEP, again. 

Memorable games show up here. Bowls are important, and yet again three teams show up - Cincy, Southern Miss and Memphis. But it's the 1959 Sun Bowl that's the most instructive, so say hello to #2 NMSU and #3 UTEP. Double bonus: UNT fans from the 2000's will recognize NMSU's frequent propensity to lose when it mattered to us, and UNT opened the Sun Bowl Stadium in 1963. 

What about a non-numerical, entirely subjective standards... the "they're just like us" standard and the "they dun lapped us" standard. Can anyone else recall another major metro team in the state which wrongly spent years being overshadowed by a private school that is now on the same-ish level? I can. What about a school whose program we helped start that now has surpassed us? If you're gonna consider UTSA, you first have to consider Houston.

SO... in sum I've got 3 definite rivals - SMU, NMSU and UTEP. Honorable Mentions go to Houston and Texas State. Insufficient information but it sure looks like it will be is UTSA's category - ask me in a decade.

Parting thought: us, Rice, Cincy and Memphis should form a music conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Any university in America can google their largest attended games on google images and post misleading information...

And these are 4 of the poorly supported football programs in America. So, uh, what's your point? 

Not to mention that he's posted a marketing mock-up of a new basketball arena.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2019 at 10:36 AM, CK2 said:

UNTs other rival is the anti-sports sentiment from the student body

What do you get out of trolling multiple message boards as you have admitted to in another thread?

You spend hours perusing different forums trying to get a rise out of G5 schools fans and you don't think your wasting valuable time you have on this planet?

Why not use your trolling powers where they are suited best on twitter against hardcore republicans or democrats where you can easily get a reaction out of people?

When is the last time you were laid? Do you have a micropenis? When you look down do you see said micropeen or is a mountainous belly in the way? I just think...you know... if I were to get off work, fire up the old desktop and tell my girl hold on I can't be bothered I have got to get on the Ball State football forums and tell them that their new stadium is shit and these jokers over on the UTSA board made a post about their dominant defense I have to log on and tell them the Houston defense is better I would be alone, quickly. That is a very strange habit. 

Maybe try some anti depressants bud

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, CK2 said:

TDECU-Stadium-600x300.jpg

Image result for houston cougars football

Image result for houston cougars footballImage result for houston cougars football

Posting pictures of full stadiums off the first three Google images lol. Do that for any G5 stadium and you'll get the same FULL attendance image you can use to show off. Want me to post some empty TCU stadium pics too? I know I'm feeding the troll here, but you need to get out this delusion that UH is SEC status and get off your high horse on telling our board members to choose another sport other than lacrosse..   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 5/26/2019 at 9:35 AM, drex said:

UNT's biggest rival is Texas Woman's University.  The Pioneers divert resources and sense of community from UNT sports teams.

Now NCTC. You go downtown and its almost like there isnt a big badass campus 2 minutes away. NCTC banners flying everywhere

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Now NCTC. You go downtown and its almost like there isnt a big badass campus 2 minutes away. NCTC banners flying everywhere

That's because NCTC is building its new campus buildings downtown right now. Old DRC buildings and properties around Hickory and Industrial Streets.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

That's because NCTC is building its new campus buildings downtown right now. Old DRC buildings and properties around Hickory and Industrial Streets.

Yes, but so what. UNT is the largest, most respected and only D1 university in the Denton area. Also, one of the top employing entities in the county. The "include everyone" montage the city of Denton is employing here is bogus BS and needs to be addressed. UNT is not on even playing fields with those other 2 schools and it's not even renotely close. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

20 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Im well aware of it but who gives a rip about a community college thats down town. Show respect where its due and not putting your attention on the new flash in the pan

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Any team played or recruited again is a rival, stating the obvious.     My vote for current biggest rivalries are SMU and La Tech because NT both plays and recruits against them.   La Tech is a conference foe, so they are the number one rival.  

Yes!!

The tide is turning folks!   Leave the birds that don’t fly to play with their UT-system buddies out in El Paso & jump on board a REAL rivalry.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

Any team played or recruited again is a rival, stating the obvious.     My vote for current biggest rivalries are SMU and La Tech because NT both plays and recruits against them.   La Tech is a conference foe, so they are the number one rival.  

Yes. I can totally get behind that. I wish North Texas played SMU more across all sports but SMU is too cowardly for that. La Tech is always a fight against North Texas, across many different sports. Not interested in any rivalry with any UT franchise. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2019 at 7:55 AM, CK2 said:

Imagine being delusional enough to think anybody gives a shit about lacrosse. Go play a real sport.

Lacrosse is a great sport, a great Native American tradition for northeastern tribes,  part of their religion.  Tribes like the Cherokees...and the Iroquois.  Granted it will never have the success of the NFL or NBA or whatever, but it’s a great sport.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

In no particular order:

smut - because of proximity and recruiting battles

utsa - because they are upstarts who we had trouble beating for a couple of years

La Tech - quality program - makeable travel game and recruiting battles

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

In no particular order:

smut - because of proximity and recruiting battles

utsa - because they are upstarts who we had trouble beating for a couple of years

La Tech - quality program - makeable travel game and recruiting battles

We're 7-10 versus the Bulldogs.  Seems like we have more trouble beating them.

• Upvote 2