SMU 2016 football preview: Mustangs believe they can win, now they have to back it up

Harry

The first year of the Chad Morris era at SMU didn't exactly go as planned.

SMU showed flashes of potential, but the Mustangs mustered just victories and finished near the bottom of the American Athletic Conference standings.

Still, there is plenty of optimism moving forward. Morris has hit the recruiting trail hard, especially in the state of Texas, reeling in back-to-back classes filled with potential difference makers.

Morris has also instilled a new attitude and has the Ponies believing they can win. He is slowly changing the culture on the Hilltop.

On the field, SMU returns senior quarterback Matt Davis and stud wide receiver Courtland Sutton, who earned a number of preseason accolades after a breakout freshman campaign.

The defense was downright awful a year ago but should be much improved with an influx of young talent and a familiarity with the system.

If SMU can grow up quickly, the Mustangs will have an opportunity to open some eyes this season.

Here's a look at the 2016 SMU Mustangs:

Read more:  http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2016/08/24/smu-2016-football-preview-mustangs-believe-can-win-now-back

9 minutes ago, Paulie Walnuts said:

I was just taking a glance at the SMU board. They have a thread called "Say something nice about our week 1 opponent" or something similar. Barely resisted the urge to create a profile so I could say "no dead hooker cover-ups". 

I'd create a profile asking if SMU fans exist? Because... Unless SMU fans wore green shirts last year, we had a home game in Dallas.

• Upvote 3

...from the article:

Best-case scenario: SMU knocks off rival UNT to kick off the season as quarterback Matt Davis and wide receiver Courtland Sutton hook up for multiple scores. SMU keeps it close against Baylor before destroying Liberty at home. The defense shows steady improvement and helps SMU pull off the upset against TCU in the Battle of the Iron Skillet. SMU also makes a statement by knocking off Temple to open conference play and move to 4-1. The Mustangs, however, come back down to earth with losses against Tulsa and Houston. SMU rebounds with wins over Tulane and Memphis but falls to South Florida and Navy to close out the season. Still, SMU finishes 6-6 and reaches a bowl game.

Wait, what is that word in the first sentence?

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

...from the article:

Best-case scenario: SMU knocks off rival UNT to kick off the season as quarterback Matt Davis and wide receiver Courtland Sutton hook up for multiple scores. SMU keeps it close against Baylor before destroying Liberty at home. The defense shows steady improvement and helps SMU pull off the upset against TCU in the Battle of the Iron Skillet. SMU also makes a statement by knocking off Temple to open conference play and move to 4-1. The Mustangs, however, come back down to earth with losses against Tulsa and Houston. SMU rebounds with wins over Tulane and Memphis but falls to South Florida and Navy to close out the season. Still, SMU finishes 6-6 and reaches a bowl game.

Wait, what is that word in the first sentence?

According to @UNT90 it is not rival. 

• Upvote 1

If SMU is truly on the rise, the will win 4 or more games. I can see them winning against us, Liberty and Tulane, so they need to steal one more against the other teams on their schedule. They aren't anywhere near competing with Baylor, TCU, and UH on paper. So that leaves Temple, Memphis, USF, ECU, Navy, and Tulsa--if they win one or more of these, I'd expect that SMU will enter 2017 as a favorite in the AAC and will probably see Chad Morris coach his final year in Dallas before going upward to a P5 school. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNT90 said:

That's correct. Actually, it's a one way rivalry, which is worse than both sides realizing it isn't a rivalry. 

Did you think you were breaking news with this statement? 

I don't write for the Dallas News. I didn't call us/them anything in that article. Apparently someone outside of the greater Denton area thinks that we are that big R word that you refuse to use. 

9 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If SMU is truly on the rise, the will win 4 or more games. I can see them winning against us, Liberty and Tulane, so they need to steal one more against the other teams on their schedule. They aren't anywhere near competing with Baylor, TCU, and UH on paper. So that leaves Temple, Memphis, USF, ECU, Navy, and Tulsa--if they win one or more of these, I'd expect that SMU will enter 2017 as a favorite in the AAC and will probably see Chad Morris coach his final year in Dallas before going upward to a P5 school. 

smut is not beating UH, Temply, USF, ECU or Navy. They might steal one from Tulsa. They will beat Liberty and Tulane. The game against UNT is a toss up. I wouldn't consider any of this "on the rise." 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I don't write for the Dallas News. I didn't call us/them anything in that article. Apparently someone outside of the greater Denton area thinks that we are that big R word that you refuse to use. 

smut is not beating UH, Temply, USF, ECU or Navy. They might steal one from Tulsa. They will beat Liberty and Tulane. The game against UNT is a toss up. I wouldn't consider any of this "on the rise." 

And they are wrong.

The SMU vs UNT game isn't a "toss up." The betting lines are between SMU minus 9.5 to 10.5.

That isn't a "toss up," young Ben. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

54 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Hence the reason I used "if" before that collection of words...

I hope they lose every game, but I suspect that they are a 4 win team, with the talent they have and the coaching mindset that Morris is trying to instill in them. Either way, 2017 is his last year there--he's either moving on up or he's getting bought out by the smut cash.