MGB: It's time for the Get Your Rear on the Record contest

Brett Vito

1 hour ago, 10Eagle10 said:

I think UTEP is going to be tougher than some on this board are giving them credit for. This is Coach Sean Kugler's 5th year, and he has recruited decently well for his systems, especially considering the location.

UTEP will ride or die on the shoulders of Aaron Jones.   If he's healthy all year, you may be right.   I'm not banking on him being healthy by the last game of the year.

• Upvote 2

4-8 Bethune, SMU, UTSA and either Army or Middle Tennessee as our last win. 

Side note- If we can gain a good home field advantage reputation this year. These tough games against Marshall, Southern Miss, and LA Tech might not look as tough as predicted. 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Aldo said:

If you think we can beat MTSU, then our win total will be much better 

I deliberately pulled in the reins on my prediction (4-8) because of so many unknowns. With this offense, however, the team could all come together by mid-season and I could see us in a "on any given day" scenario with the last half of the schedule. There will surely be one of those games that everything clicks and we go off on somebody that we shouldn't have beaten. The thought is exciting.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

If you think we can beat MTSU, then our win total will be much better 

I think we need to rethink our priorities if we think we are going to lose to everyone in CUSA. I can understand chalking up Florida a loss, but (IMO) I'm not going to chalk up a CUSA opponent as a "If you think we can beat" team.

7 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I think we need to rethink our priorities if we think we are going to lose to everyone in CUSA. I can understand chalking up Florida a loss, but (IMO) I'm not going to chalk up a CUSA opponent as a "If you think we can beat" team.

USM and MTSU are the two teams I think has a shot at the conference title, even with the injury problems MTSU has faced this offseason.

It's not that I don't think we can beat any, but that we can beat them all if we can outmatch MTSU's offense.

8 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Did you watch us play last year? Do you know how few scholarship players we have on the roster, compared to every other G5 team we play? Besides this, don't worry about wins/losses this year. Just watch the guys play and see how they compete while learning a brand new system, as well as how the coaches handle themselves since we have a brand new head coach and OC that have never held these positions before.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

This prediction business is hard.  Here's the conundrum as I see it: the easiest patch of the schedule is the first two games.  They are both at home with one being a true tossup (rivalry game between two familiar and similarly situated foes) and the other being against the only opponent that, as of now, we will be favored against.  

And here's the rub--I don't know if the team will be ready by game one, which could set things in motion for disaster as the schedule reaches the unforgiving stretches and when the team knows they have nothing to play for.

So, I would say that if we win the first two, then I'd predict we cobble together 5-6 wins overall forged out of momentum and hope.  If we lose one or both of the first two, then we are looking at 1-3 wins total.

If I absolutely HAVE to get on record with a prediction, I'll say 3-9, but I think this could be a really fun season one way or another.

• Upvote 1

Last season I figured we'd be lucky to win 2 games. Everyone on here knows why we were terrible. There is no reason to call out names or re-argue old facts.

Having said that, this isn't that team. I think Littrell has added some much needed quality talent and depth to our team. The lack of a play book and the tempo of this offense should be a real advantage against C-USA level competition. I believe we are as talented as most of the other teams in our conference, and I think we have better coaching then most. I think our coaches will be able to handle the "in-game-adjustments" that will win us some of close games we have lost in past seasons. I'm going with 8-5. I think we get the first in week 1.

Go Mean Green!!!

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 2

On August 25, 2016 at 3:53 PM, untjim1995 said:

Did you watch us play last year? Do you know how few scholarship players we have on the roster, compared to every other G5 team we play? Besides this, don't worry about wins/losses this year. Just watch the guys play and see how they compete while learning a brand new system, as well as how the coaches handle themselves since we have a brand new head coach and OC that have never held these positions before.

Pretty useless post. It's a week before the season and everyone is plastered drunk on the green koolaid, thinking an offense can magically perform on its own without talented players (not that UNT doesn't have a few, just not enough) To hear these folks talk, you would think that UNT is rolling out a revolutionary offense that has never before been seen by FBS college opponents. 

Its the same thing every year. Ben Gooding predicted 8 wins last year with AM at QB. Just drunken stupidity. There is no way to combat it.

Lets chat about this again after Sept. 3.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

8 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Pretty useless post. It's a week before the season and everyone is plastered drunk on the green koolaid, thinking an offense can magically perform on its own without talented players (not that UNT doesn't have a few, just not enough) To hear these folks talk, you would think that UNT is rolling out a revolutionary offense that has never before been seen by FBS college opponents. 

Its the same thing every year. Ben Gooding predicted 8 wins last year with AM at QB. Just drunken stupidity. There is no way to combat it.

No post is worthless...unless it's from Ryan Munthe or CougarQueen 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

On 8/25/2016 at 3:41 PM, GreenTexan13 said:

Sooo so so much this. 

11 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I picked 8 wins bc we play in CUSA. Never in my furthest imagination did I think the old staff (as old in their ways as they were) would roll with Mini for as long as he did. He would've kept the train rolling had it not been that HC atrocity. That game may end up being a very disguised blessing. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Sooo so so much this. 

I picked 8 wins bc we play in CUSA. Never in my furthest imagination did I think the old staff (as old in their ways as they were) would roll with Mini for as long as he did. He would've kept the train rolling had it not been that HC atrocity. That game may end up being a very disguised blessing. 

I think we grossly overestimate the quality of our conference opponents.  They're not world beaters.  I think by virtue of the element of surprise we should easily beat SMU (and they're just not very good). BC and Army are games we should win.  The only game I see us not winning is Florida- simply because it's Florida.  

We would have won a few more games last year if we didn't give up right before the Portland State game.  The team flat out quit.  Right/Wrong/Indifferent, that is the truth.  Had the team not quit (and hadn't used the UTEP game as a participation trophy game) we would have won another few games.  While enthusiasm is not a capability, shear effort will allow a few toss ups to go our way.  Yeah, I know we are grossly undermanned, but I don't think we're nearly as outgunned as some people think we are.  I think 4 or 5 wins is achievable, which (1) will solidify SL as a kick ass hire and (2) generate some solid buzz in the metroplex on which we can capitalize- a new concept lost on our previous, work-ethically challenged  athletic director.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Silent Eagle said:

I think we grossly overestimate the quality of our conference opponents.  They're not world beaters.  I think by virtue of the element of surprise we should easily beat SMU (and they're just not very good). BC and Army are games we should win.  The only game I see us not winning is Florida- simply because it's Florida.  

We would have won a few more games last year if we didn't give up right before the Portland State game.  The team flat out quit.  Right/Wrong/Indifferent, that is the truth.  Had the team not quit (and hadn't used the UTEP game as a participation trophy game) we would have won another few games.  While enthusiasm is not a capability, shear effort will allow a few toss ups to go our way.  Yeah, I know we are grossly undermanned, but I don't think we're nearly as outgunned as some people think we are.  I think 4 or 5 wins is achievable, which (1) will solidify SL as a kick ass hire and (2) generate some solid buzz in the metroplex on which we can capitalize- a new concept lost on our previous, work-ethically challenged  athletic director.  

Ding!