Raveon and EJ Ejiya

MGNation92

9 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

At this point I wonder if Mr Hoston is just in denial, or if he thinks he has a legitimate case of playing here. I'm willing to bet the former, although if there's someway he'll be on the sideline Sept 3rd then that would be fine by me

It is certainly possible that there is some missing paperwork that is being submitted.  Probably a long line to review, and we are two weeks away from the season... but I have seen delayed paperwork make it through the clearinghouse before.  Hoping for him and us there is still a chance.  Kid loves this place.  Breaks my heart he can't play here.

41 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

At this point I wonder if Mr Hoston is just in denial, or if he thinks he has a legitimate case of playing here. I'm willing to bet the former, although if there's someway he'll be on the sideline Sept 3rd then that would be fine by me

If by some miracle he is cleared, I would hope he is redshirted at this point. Focus on getting academics in order here, and not waste a season of eligibility with almost no pre-season practice. Although I really doubt Littrell himself would say he's no longer in the plans if there was still a chance.

• Upvote 5

7 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

If by some miracle he is cleared, I would hope he is redshirted at this point. Focus on getting academics in order here, and not waste a season of eligibility with almost no pre-season practice. Although I really doubt Littrell himself would say he's no longer in the plans if there was still a chance.

One of our conference mates, Marshall, has historically figured out a way to get partial/non qualifiers enrolled in school.  I assume they are using need based scholarships to cover the cost of school (pretty sure you can't be on athletic scholarship if you don't qualify, but maybe it is just that you can't play if you are a partial/non qualifier).

Marshall has an example of this situation this year.  They signed a 4 star athlete in their 2016 class, but it turns out that he did not qualify.  However, it looks like the player is at Marshall and will be taking classes and assuming he gets his academics in order he will be in spring practice and/or play next fall.

My question is this:  does UNT allow partial/non qualifiers to be enrolled to the university?  Can we still provide an athletic scholarship (i.e. financial aid) to a player that has not academically qualified.  The assumption in this scenario would be a redshirt year and then play next year. 

Does anyone know UNT's stance on this topic?

45 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

One of our conference mates, Marshall, has historically figured out a way to get partial/non qualifiers enrolled in school.  I assume they are using need based scholarships to cover the cost of school (pretty sure you can't be on athletic scholarship if you don't qualify, but maybe it is just that you can't play if you are a partial/non qualifier).

Marshall has an example of this situation this year.  They signed a 4 star athlete in their 2016 class, but it turns out that he did not qualify.  However, it looks like the player is at Marshall and will be taking classes and assuming he gets his academics in order he will be in spring practice and/or play next fall.

My question is this:  does UNT allow partial/non qualifiers to be enrolled to the university?  Can we still provide an athletic scholarship (i.e. financial aid) to a player that has not academically qualified.  The assumption in this scenario would be a redshirt year and then play next year. 

Does anyone know UNT's stance on this topic?

I think it's different with a high school student-athlete. I believe this is the first year the NCAA has activated the rule where freshmen have to mandatorily redshirt if they fall in between the gap of qualifying yet not meeting that minimum end-of-high-school GPA requirement. 

For some schools, like Rice, that gap is non-existent. I believe it is a 2.4 non-weighted high school GPA. Either way, I don't think that is an option for Raveon since he is a JUCO transfer.

49 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

Giving scholarships to non-qualifiers... that sounds like a great idea.

Marshall has done pretty well with the approach, but it does pose a risk of the player eating a scholarship and never qualifying.

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think it's different with a high school student-athlete. I believe this is the first year the NCAA has activated the rule where freshmen have to mandatorily redshirt if they fall in between the gap of qualifying yet not meeting that minimum end-of-high-school GPA requirement. 

For some schools, like Rice, that gap is non-existent. I believe it is a 2.4 non-weighted high school GPA. Either way, I don't think that is an option for Raveon since he is a JUCO transfer.

Do you know if UNT has a stance on the topic with HS players?

It appears that some conferences do not allow it, but some conferences leave it up to the individual schools (e.g. CUSA).

I hope Raveon Hoston is cleared at the last minute.  I don't think we'll need him immediately, inasmuch as we have three seniors (Roberts, Combs, and Dilonga) and a redshirt junior (Flusche) already in the mix.  That's a pretty good set of experienced guys in a 3-man front. 

Plus, I think you'll find that the 3-3-5 is a linebacker intensive scheme.  We need the DEs to handle the gaps and allow the LBs to bring pressure off blitzes, and to occasionally drop off into short to medium range coverage to cover for blitzing safeties and LBs.

We will need more experienced players at DE next year when Roberts, Combs, and Dilonga are gone.  So, for that reason alone, I hope Hoston can stay on - or, near (community college) - and get his grades righted enough to play out his final season of eligibility here in 2017.

32 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

can one really stalk an omnipresent entity? 

find me a thread you haven't posted in. 

Yes officer.  I park outside his house everyday for 3-4 hours and he won't quit looking at me sometimes.  Is there nothing that can be done about the stalking???

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

On 8/18/2016 at 11:47 AM, Harry said:

It is certainly possible that there is some missing paperwork that is being submitted.  Probably a long line to review, and we are two weeks away from the season... but I have seen delayed paperwork make it through the clearinghouse before.  Hoping for him and us there is still a chance.  Kid loves this place.  Breaks my heart he can't play here.

UNT can get the stuff quick, I applied on a Monday, had my previous colleges send in the paperwork and I knew by Thursday and was able to do Orientation the next day(this was 2 weeks ago). What I'm wondering is, if he doesn't get into UNT for the fall, would he attend NCTC for the semester then transfer into UNT in December, so he doesn't use up another year of his playing time?

On 8/19/2016 at 8:29 PM, baberuthbomber8 said:

so he doesn't use up another year of his playing time?

Your clock starts as soon as you enroll in one institution full time.  It doesn't matter if you never attend a second semester, five years after that first enrollment your time is up.

• 2 weeks later...