New kicking net and pulley system getting installed at Apogee

Harry

16 hours ago, Maduro said:

The pic looks like another stationary net is being put into place.  That thing is so irritating... makes the images on the big screen look awful.  I doubt we can afford a mechanical device with the ability to raise itself up when needed, and also has a separate button to press which lowers it.

The tweet states "net and pulley system."

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Marty said:

Please don't put one in the north end zone. That's part of the fun of sitting there!

Yes.  My kids and all others scurrying around for the extra points and field goals.  Oh, well...if we start winning, there won't be as much room for the kids to mess around in the north end zone anymore anyway.

1 minute ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

The follow up tweets state that the new system will allow fans a clear view of the Jumbotron.  

Just unscrew the Jumbotron and set it up a couple of feet higher.  I'll bring out a set of screwdrivers, wrenches, and a rachet set, and we'll work on it during practice. 

I'll need someone to hold one end after I unscrew it and go to unscrew the other side.  Volunteers?

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Marty said:

Please don't put one in the north end zone. That's part of the fun of sitting there!

6 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Why?  It looks to me like the kids have a hell of a good time catching kicks in the north end zone.

34 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Yes.  My kids and all others scurrying around for the extra points and field goals.  Oh, well...if we start winning, there won't be as much room for the kids to mess around in the north end zone anymore anyway.

OK, OK, leave the north end zone without a net!  But, back to my first question - why does it seem that we are the only 1-A school without the Allstate "Good Hands" logo on our net?!

49 minutes ago, Stix said:

OK, OK, leave the north end zone without a net!  But, back to my first question - why does it seem that we are the only 1-A school without the Allstate "Good Hands" logo on our net?!

That would be a question for our, hopefully soon to be former, head of corporate sponsorship, Hank Dickenson.

Now that RV is gone, I hope we partner up with IMG or Learfield to land some of these big national sponsorships.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/05/26/In-Depth/Allstate.aspx

As of 2013 here are the schools with the Allstate nets, plenty of G5, low exposure schools on the list:

Akron, Alabama, Arizona, Arizona State, Arkansas, Ball State, Baylor, Boise State, Bowling Green, Brigham Young, California, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Clemson, Colorado, Colorado State, Connecticut, East Carolina, Florida, Florida State, Fresno State, Georgia Tech, Hawaii, Houston, Idaho, Iowa, Jacksonville State, James Madison, Kansas State, Louisville, LSU, Maryland, Memphis, Miami, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, N.C. State, Northern Illinois, Northwestern, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Pittsburgh, Princeton, Purdue, Rice, Rutgers, San Diego State, San Jose State, SMU, South Carolina, South Florida, Southern Miss, Syracuse, TCU, Temple, Tennessee State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Toledo, Tulane, Tulsa, UNLV, USC, Utah, Utah State, Vanderbilt, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Washington, Washington State, William & Mary, Wyoming

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Marty said:

marcorubio.gif

1 hour ago, Army of Dad said:

Which wouldn't necessarily mean they can raise and lower the net in a timely enough fashion...

How long do you all think it takes to raise and lower a net?

9 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

How long do you all think it takes to raise and lower a net?

It shouldn't take long at all.  
But if someone isn't paying attention or something, a kicked football could crack that scoreboard.   It's not a matter of how fast the pulley system works, it's how fast the person utilizing the pulley system works.

little-leager-not-paying-attention-baseb

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

It should only take, what, 20 seconds?

Now, does the new system have what it takes to quickly raise or lower the net? Seems like we don't know that just yet.

See, I've been watching pulley systems all summer, and given all the evidence, it should raise up for 4,000 yards and 45 touchd- oh wait where am I?

• Upvote 1

The jumbo tron is made of emitter panels I bet they are hard to crack and if they do they just change one small panel last I looked they are getting the emitters down to .7mm and they close the gap on them and you can make relatively small 4k screens now. My AV guys just installed one and he sent photos really cool stuff. 

The refs in Pro ball will hold a kick until the net is up. Seems like I have heard them ask for the net to be raised before during a pro game. 

14 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

The jumbo tron is made of emitter panels I bet they are hard to crack and if they do they just change one small panel last I looked they are getting the emitters down to .7mm and they close the gap on them and you can make relatively small 4k screens now. My AV guys just installed one and he sent photos really cool stuff. 

The refs in Pro ball will hold a kick until the net is up. Seems like I have heard them ask for the net to be raised before during a pro game. 

How much are those panels?

I have about as much faith in the C-USA referees to hold the ball as I do the pulley system operators getting the net up in time.   Should be do-able, but you never know.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

This thread is entertaining and proves that some of us will worry/complain about anything.  They could show us getting new urinals for the restrooms and some of you would be concerned about piss getting on them.

Funny you should mention that because...

...if we do ever get to sellout stage, they will quickly realize that the restrooms behind the north end zone are too small.  The restrooms in our office building are larger, and we don't have 30,000 people in the building on all six floors combined. 

Just, you know, making a prediction of what can be bitched about once we have the nice problem of handling sellout crowds week in and week out.

The system should always have been in place to bring the net up and down, the net interfering with the view to the screen should never happened in the first place. Whoever came up with what we had was riding the short bus.