2016 Season Preview

aztecskin

Mistake on the DBs.  Ashton Preston only started one game when Davis was suspended for a "bad attitude" Davis played almost every snap at corner on defense other than WKU.  

He made 3 of the few big plays that were made last season.  Not sure how this season will play out, but anyone who knows dbs and paid attention...nevermind...

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Mistake on the DBs.  Ashton Preston only started one game when Davis was suspended for a "bad attitude" Davis played almost every snap at corner on defense other than WKU.  

He made 3 of the few big plays that were made last season.  Not sure how this season will play out, but anyone who knows dbs and paid attention...nevermind...

Yeah I meant to write 'in that WKU game' when I said he started. Also that 'there were games that he started'. There was another Preston started too. I forget which off the top of my head. 

I'm generally higher on Ashton Preston than Chad Davis. But yeah Chad made a bunch of nice tackles throughout the year and had that return v UTSA. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Yeah I meant to write 'in that WKU game' when I said he started. Also that 'there were games that he started'. There was another Preston started too. I forget which off the top of my head. 

I'm generally higher on Ashton Preston than Chad Davis. But yeah Chad made a bunch of nice tackles throughout the year and had that return v UTSA. 

Higher on preston based on what play?  Must be practice.  Cant be spring game, scrimmages or actual games.

Preston was first off the bench SMU.  Brooks started taking the reps and looked better.  Preston did not even play much.  

Nice tackles?  I guess forcing a fumbe vs iowa and picking off tenn in the red zone doesn't ring a bell...Several PBUs in the endzone.  They're on all the highlights...Davis has a lot to work on, but the analysis is not even close as far as corner.  Nate was nice as a freshman. I think he will be the next UNT player drafted.  He could possibly become the best corner on the team this year...but he was no where close to being more productive than Davis, and preston was even farther.

Davis had issues but in 11 games, playing the whole game he gave up less than 100 total yards all season and probably less than 10 passes.  Gave up a 7 yard slant for a TD vs rice.  Gave up 2 yard out for a TD vs MTSU.  Only thing memorable.  Nothing deep at all.

Too much contact on some PIs, didn't get off wrs blocks on some plays, didn't jump some routes, but also forced to play and practice 10 yards off most of the season.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Higher on preston based on what play?  Must be practice.  Cant be spring game, scrimmages or actual games.

Preston was first off the bench SMU.  Brooks started taking the reps and looked better.  Preston did not even play much.  

Nice tackles?  I guess forcing a fumbe vs iowa and picking off tenn in the red zone doesn't ring a bell...Several PBUs in the endzone.  They're on all the highlights...Davis has a lot to work on, but the analysis is not even close as far as corner.  Nate was nice as a freshman. I think he will be the next UNT player drafted.  He could possibly become the best corner on the team this year...but he was no where close to being more productive than Davis, and preston was even farther.

Davis had issues but in 11 games, playing the whole game he gave up less than 100 total yards all season and probably less than 10 passes.  Gave up a 7 yard slant for a TD vs rice.  Gave up 2 yard out for a TD vs MTSU.  Only thing memorable.  Nothing deep at all.

Too much contact on some PIs, didn't get off wrs blocks on some plays, didn't jump some routes, but also forced to play and practice 10 yards off most of the season.

I firmly believe secondary (following QB's) play will be greatly improved year over year.

• Upvote 1

@GOMG2013 I'll happily concede Chad played better last year. I don't want to drag the dude, but a lot of the targets went to the freshman or Zac Whitfield, all notoriously bad on deep stuff. I thought Chad played well but nothing very amazing. Like @UNT Mean Green says, we'll see greatly improved secondary play. With that (admittedly big presumption) I think we play some young guys for the experience. Thus, more Ashton and why I'm higher on him than Chad (who will get plenty of playing time). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aztecskin said:

@GOMG2013 I'll happily concede Chad played better last year. I don't want to drag the dude, but a lot of the targets went to the freshman or Zac Whitfield, all notoriously bad on deep stuff. I thought Chad played well but nothing very amazing. Like @UNT Mean Green says, we'll see greatly improved secondary play. With that (admittedly big presumption) I think we play some young guys for the experience. Thus, more Ashton and why I'm higher on him than Chad (who will get plenty of playing time). 

I can agree with some of this. 

I'm still don't see any evidence that it will be preston though, unless it's based on practice. I would give a juco just as good of a shot as I would preston.  

If we have any seniors who are playing average and the season is starting to go down the drain, then the young players should get in and prepare for the following season.  It's up to the seniors to make sure the team has something to play for.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

I can agree with some of this. 

I'm still don't see any evidence that it will be preston though, unless it's based on practice. I would give a juco just as good of a shot as I would preston.  

At the very least, because our base D has 5 dbs rolling out there, opportunity will be there. 

• Upvote 1