A challenge to SMU fans

Harry

So SMU is being mentioned as a possible Big 12 addition.  The Texas Attorney General and others have shown support for your candidacy.

How about you show the Big 12 how well your fans support the program through your attendance to games?  Last time we played you in Denton it was frankly embarrassing how few fans you brought.  There were plenty of excuses like the game time being too early, the heat, June Jones.  Programs that are looking to move up the food chain don't make these type of petty excuses.

We brought a respectable crowd to the Hilltop last year, so now is a good time to repay us.  This is essentially a home game for you guys.  You can do better than 150 fans!

5 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

"We brought a respectable crowd to the Hilltop last year, so now is a good time to repay us.  This is essentially a home game for you guys.  You can do better than 150 fans!"

It looked like a home game for UNT that day.

Thank you. 

48 minutes ago, Eastwood Eagle said:

I do not think anyone is seriously considering SMU as a Big 12 prospect.

This ^. 

However, Harry is onto something. If you want to be a big fish then you have to act like a big fish. Come support your whale of a football program in Denton on September 3rd. Don't talk too much shit to the wrong ppl tho, they might actually knuckle up. Then what? 

7 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

This ^. 

However, Harry is onto something. If you want to be a big fish then you have to act like a big fish. Come support your whale of a football program in Denton on September 3rd. Don't talk too much shit to the wrong ppl tho, they might actually knuckle up. Then what? 

Excerpt from Bob Bowlsby's Big 12 declination letter to SMU's Gerald Turner -- "Regrettably, your students and alumni could only muster 150 fans in attendance for a game only 30 miles away from your campus."

Idaho brought more fans then SMU. FREAKING IDAHO! SMU should be embarrassed that their fans can't be bothered to drive 30 minutes to see them play a game. Hell, they can't even be bothered to see them in Dallas. Look at the stands any time A&M, Tech, or we play at Ford. SMU feels like the visitor in those games. But yeah you guys are surely on the top of the Big 12 list. 

11 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

They don't care about playing UNT. Don't know how that isn't clear to some people.

The big12 cares that they do not care. Big contributing reason they will sit status quo for the foreseeable future. But let's be realistic, Baylor, ATM, etc takes over their stadium when they're in town. Also, when playing conditions aren't premium it's practically an empty stadium with opposing fans sitting grouped together by themselves. Their elitist mentality got them right where they belong, irrelevance. They are an eaay school to hate. Very easy. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

"We brought a respectable crowd to the Hilltop last year, so now is a good time to repay us.  This is essentially a home game for you guys.  You can do better than 150 fans!"

It looked like a home game for UNT that day.

f7FdEdG.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

SMU rarely shows up for anything.  I don't interpret their lack of fans versus UNT as anything specific to us, just an indication of a broader problem in Dallas.

I don't want to read too much into this.  Just whip them up good and go from there to a bowl game.

I don't think UNT fans are in any position to call out any program after having the worst home attendance in CUSA last year...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 12

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I don't think UNT fans are in any position to call out any program after having the worst home attendance in CUSA last year...

We are not in any position to call out any fans for any single thing. You are 100% right. We are a wavering program at best. I think Littrell, specifically the staff he has assembled, might be able to right a lot of previous wrongs and do it in a short time frame. College football is pretty similar to baseball, get on a hot streak with some internal and external momentum and good things can happen to a wavering program/organization. We just have to get on board, support, and enjoy the ride. I believe in this staff without even coaching a game yet and I was never able to say that about the McCarney regime (yes, even during 2013). 

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

We brought 10K to Gerald Ford last year...yawn.

SMU doesn't have football fans win or lose.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Attendance will be average around 20k this year. That's practically guaranteed. 

Wanna make a friendly wager? 20k- you take the over, I take the under? 

Candy and baby come to mind. 

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SMU "averaged" around 17k.

They averaged around 10k.

This is pretty-much understood by all.

Kind like UNT averaged around 8500, right? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Wanna make a friendly wager? 20k- you take the over, I take the under? 

Candy and baby come to mind. 

Kind like UNT averaged around 8500, right? 

The fact of the matter is UNT averaged terribly for a 1-11 coach that everyone wanted to fire already. SMU averaged whatever made up number for the first year of a new coach. Once SMU ends up 1-11 again they'll be giving away free tickets again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1