Not football, but guess who is #1

Eagleisland

'" Freshman have to live on campus, giving them a chance to become part of the fabric and learn all there is to take advantage of.  "

I don't know when this was implemented exactly.  But, it has been a great thing to help rid us of the commuter school tag.   The school has done wonders with getting freshmen involved since I was a student.    

• Upvote 3

I saw an article the other day about 2 new residence halls being planned.  In it the article mentioned that we currently have in the neighborhood of 6,300 beds and all but around 100-200 beds were occupied.  So we are basically at capacity.

Based on expected growth, there is a plan in place to increase the total available beds to 9,000.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

The waiting list for dorm space is currently over 100, and was near 200, for the Fall semester. They say the waiting list is usually accommodated in full, but more space and options will be welcomed.

GMG

Good to hear, but I don't think this takes into account students who don't even apply due to the fact there is a waiting list.  Don't get me wrong, it is better but in my opinion could still use improvement especially with our projected growth.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Good to hear, but I don't think this takes into account students who don't even apply due to the fact there is a waiting list.  Don't get me wrong, it is better but in my opinion could still use improvement especially with our projected growth.

Agreed.  Due to the shortage of space I am sure the university is still pretty accommodating for requests to commute for freshman that are local, but if there were more space available I am sure they would be more strict on requiring all freshmen to live on campus.

Eventually, I wouldn't mind seeing the university to actually purchase some near campus apartments and run them in a similar fashion to dorms, but they would actually be off campus.  The numbers would still count as university controlled housing (impacts some ranking systems).  It would also keep students from having to find roommates and worry about multiple people on the lease.  If a student did not have a roommate they could simply sign up for a bed and be matched up.  The simplicity of a dorm, but the experience of living in an apartment.  I have seen this approach at other universities.

• Upvote 3

We had to live on campus my freshman year. Think that started shortly before I started. I never felt like I went to a commuter school. There were folks who would go home every weekend but I never saw the point in that. I had everything I needed on campus and didn't even have a car at the time. It doesn't have to be a commuter school if you don't make it one. I always felt like I had the same experience as my A&M or Tech friends. 

• Upvote 4

I have no idea why anyone would give any credence to these ridiculous "rankings". What were the objective criteria?  Who did the site surveys? etc etc

The author is one Liz Naughton who also ranked CSU Long Beach the leading state university in California and ranked University of New Mexico fourth among four in NM. The most notable university in New Mexico according to Ms. Naughton? The Institute of American Indian Arts, of course.

Yes, we should really be proud of Liz's accolade.

Edited by letsgiveacheer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, untcampbell said:

The waiting list for dorm space is currently over 100, and was near 200, for the Fall semester. They say the waiting list is usually accommodated in full, but more space and options will be welcomed.

GMG

Damn!! I need to start Renting out the extra bedroom in my home

5 hours ago, akriesman said:

'" Freshman have to live on campus, giving them a chance to become part of the fabric and learn all there is to take advantage of.  "

I don't know when this was implemented exactly.  

It was the policy when I was a freshman in 2003. So at least that long.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Long, long ago, you had to have 60 hours to move out of the dorms unless you commuted.

Yowza.

I believe the policy by the time I was a frosh was all freshman had to live on campus unless their parents lived within something like 15 miles of campus. And you had to have enough credit hours to qualify as a sophomore (30 hours) to be allowed to live off campus. I think the credit hours may have been dropped from 60 to 30 when student population got big enough without building any new dorms that they needed to get some people out and off of campus. 

Kerr was built in 1969 and College Inn opened in 1970, but then no new dorms were built until Santa Fe opened in 1997. 27 years. Since 1997 they've opened Santa Fe, Mozart, Traditions, Victory, Legends, Honors and Rawlins, doubling the number of residence halls.

8 hours ago, TheWestie said:

Yowza.

I believe the policy by the time I was a frosh was all freshman had to live on campus unless their parents lived within something like 15 miles of campus. And you had to have enough credit hours to qualify as a sophomore (30 hours) to be allowed to live off campus. I think the credit hours may have been dropped from 60 to 30 when student population got big enough without building any new dorms that they needed to get some people out and off of campus. 

Kerr was built in 1969 and College Inn opened in 1970, but then no new dorms were built until Santa Fe opened in 1997. 27 years. Since 1997 they've opened Santa Fe, Mozart, Traditions, Victory, Legends, Honors and Rawlins, doubling the number of residence halls.

When were West, Crumley, Maple and Bruce built?

When I came to UNT in 2012 I don't remember there being anything about needing a certain number of hours to live off-campus. I'm pretty sure the rule is once you're not a freshman then you can live off-campus. 

As far as the wait list -- remember to factor in that probably many on that wait list are sophomores or above. I was on the wait list after my freshman year to continue living on-campus. 

42 minutes ago, meangreen16 said:

When I came to UNT in 2012 I don't remember there being anything about needing a certain number of hours to live off-campus. I'm pretty sure the rule is once you're not a freshman then you can live off-campus. 

Semantics.  You're saying the same thing.  Once you have accumulated 30 hours, you are no longer a freshman.

• Upvote 1

I wanted to live on campus when I was a freshman but, could not afford it. I thought that was for the rich kids. I was on my own and had to stretch every penny, because there were rumors that tuition was going to increase and I had to save for next semester from my part time job at Austin Shoe Store. That was 1961...same if you turn it upside down.