Poll: MWC or stay put?

Mountain West Conference Poll  

137 members have voted

1. 1. If you were offered a Mountain West Conference invite tomorrow, would you take it?

OK, there has been quite a bit of talk lately about UNT & the Mountain West Conference.  
I'd love to see where everyone is on this point-blank question:

If you were Wren Baker, and were offered a Mountain West Conference invite tomorrow, would you take it?

Key assumption:
1. All C-USA & MWC teams remain the same as they are today, meaning UTEP/Rice/UTSA aren't coming with us, and no teams are leaving the MWC.
2. No other schools are "invited" to MWC and UNT is not "invited" to any other conference (be-it AAC, Big12, NFCEast, whatever)

EDIT: *For the sake of clarity, this is a public poll.  Don't be scurr'd*

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would take it. Not because the MWC is sooo great. I don't relish game times, and travel will be even worse. My taking it would be more of an indictment of the state of C-USA. I fear what will happen next to C-USA. If any Texas team gets to leave for the AAC or MWC, the one great thing about C-USA, which is that we get to play a lot of texas teams, will be diminished or be gone. Many of the teams not in Texas are grumbling about the current state of C-USA. At least MWC will offer more money and is definitely well organised, something I am not yet convinced about C-USA. Banowsky definitely was not a great commissioner (better than Benson, but that isn't saying much). The new one has yet to convince me either (I have a hard time believing that this was the best TV deal possible).

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I put yes but the caviat would be that we bring the other Texas schools with us and form a separate division. 

You may want to reconsider then Harry.
Read the first "assumption": All C-USA & MWC teams remain the same as they are today, meaning UTEP/Rice/UTSA aren't coming with us, and no teams are leaving the MWC.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

When is the last time the MWC took in a FCS move up?

When was the last time CUSA did? 

That should answer your question.

SMU, TCU and Houston were all invited to the WAC/MWC. Houston never accepted and the other two bolted as soon as they could. The answer to the question should be, what is the end game? If it's as a stair-step and the goal is to make it to a P5 conference, then probably, yes. If it is change for the sake of change, I say no because who can make a road game on a consistent basis? We just need to win and win consistently. If we do that, we'll get our share of attention just as Marshall and WKU have. Throw in a win or two over P5 teams and there you have it. Otherwise, what difference does it make in the big picture?

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

SMU, TCU and Houston were all invited to the WAC/MWC. Houston never accepted and the other two bolted as soon as they could. The answer to the question should be, what is the end game? If it's as a stair-step and the goal is to make it to a P5 conference, then probably, yes. If it is change for the sake of change, I say no because who can make a road game on a consistent basis? We just need to win and win consistently. If we do that, we'll get our share of attention just as Marshall and WKU have. Throw in a win or two over P5 teams and there you have it. Otherwise, what difference does it make in the big picture?

SMU was never in the MWC & TCU left the MWC to join the Big12.  I wouldn't really call upgrading from G5 to P5 as "bolted".  Houston was a charter member of C-USA... a much different version than today's C-USA.

I think you're right about winning... but we're not going to get attention from a P5 right off the bat, rather we'll get attention from MWC or possibly AAC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

The answer to the question should be, what is the end game? If it's as a stair-step and the goal is to make it to a P5 conference

No question.  I would certainly hope our ultimate goal is not to languish in a conference that is moving in the wrong direction by every conceivable measure.  Fire Wren now if that's his goal.  I don't know if we'll ever get there, but our goal needs to be P5.

1 hour ago, Hunter Green said:

then probably, yes. 

Yep.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SMU was never in the MWC & TCU left the MWC to join the Big12.  I wouldn't really call upgrading from G5 to P5 as "bolted".  Houston was a charter member of C-USA... a much different version than today's C-USA.

I think you're right about winning... but we're not going to get attention from a P5 right off the bat, rather we'll get attention from MWC or possibly AAC.

Actually, both were invited to the WAC after the SWC broke apart. You're right about TCU though. However smu was left out of the mix when the MWC came into being. Nobody really wants the stangs anyway. They are yesterday's news.

4 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Actually, both were invited to the WAC after the SWC broke apart. You're right about TCU though. However smu was left out of the mix when the MWC came into being. Nobody really wants the stangs anyway. They are yesterday's news.

The AAC wanted them. More than they wanted UNT. 

And the Big 12 would take them in a NY minute if the only 2 choices were SMU or UNT. 

Dont think we are in any position to talk smack. 

Which sucks. Cause I like talking smack. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

I voted yes for purely personal reasons.  I live in the Denver area and I could see the teams play more often. Wyoming, Air Force and CSU are all within two hours of my home.

When I retired from my regular sales job, I took a part time gig at an airport parking facility near DIA. I drove a shuttle bus and had the pleasure of meeting a customer that was headed to a WAC meeting,  He was a WAC official.  

I started talking to him about UNT and he told me that UNT had been on their radar several times and there had been interest.  He liked the location, size of the school and the fact that we had shown the incentive to build a new stadium.  

I know, he was saying what I wanted to hear but he was honest about us having some good things going for us. 

We shall see.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ntexeagle said:

I voted yes for purely personal reasons.  I live in the Denver area and I could see the teams play more often. Wyoming, Air Force and CSU are all within two hours of my home.

When I retired from my regular sales job, I took a part time gig at an airport parking facility near DIA. I drove a shuttle bus and had the pleasure of meeting a customer that was headed to a WAC meeting,  He was a WAC official.  

I started talking to him about UNT and he told me that UNT had been on their radar several times and there had been interest.  He liked the location, size of the school and the fact that we had shown the incentive to build a new stadium.  

I know, he was saying what I wanted to hear but he was honest about us having some good things going for us. 

We shall see.

Same- In 2 months I'll be back in San Diego. Conveniently San Diego State is in San Diego. San Diego State plays in the mountain west (along with Fresno State, San Jose State- I'd get to see our guys in person on the reg. plus they have a better TV deal than us, I think. I would get to see more TV games. 

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You may want to reconsider then Harry.
Read the first "assumption": All C-USA & MWC teams remain the same as they are today, meaning UTEP/Rice/UTSA aren't coming with us, and no teams are leaving the MWC.

Ya caught that after I'd already pressed the button.  Damn iPhone.

Go West young men/women, go West. To me, it's simply a half notch upgrade with more stability. If we do somehow find a way to become significant on a national level, I suspect that the MWC would be a much better jumping off point to get to where we ultimately want to be. Plus I personally do love it out there in the mountains.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

The AAC wanted them. More than they wanted UNT. 

And the Big 12 would take them in a NY minute if the only 2 choices were SMU or UNT. 

Dont think we are in any position to talk smack. 

Which sucks. Cause I like talking smack. 

You talk plenty of 'smack' '90, but it's always directed at UNT.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, GTWT said:

You talk plenty of 'smack' '90, but it's always directed at UNT.

Rah rah rah sis boom bah is all I ever hear from you.

I'm a realist. To you that means I'm negative. I'm not. You just don't wanna hear anything but rah rah rah sis boom bah. 

UNT isn't marketable to anyone right now. Doesn't mean we shouldn't try. But to state "no one wants SMU" suggests someone isn't very self aware.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, ntexeagle said:

So, you're saying that you drove bus?

• Upvote 2