Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

DMN Editorial: Dallas' university, SMU, has a case for Big 12 membership


Harry
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

We have the same option, no? And I'm at the point of if they can't bring more than 500 nose raised fans then opt out. Bring in a regional fan base that will travel to us like, check out this crazy concept, like we travel to them. Whoa. 

Agree. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, UNT90 said:

They have an option to opt out after next year, move to the Big 12 or not. 

I thought I read somewhere that the original deal was through this year's game and that both AD's are contractually obligated to enter into "Good Faith talks" to extend the series up to 7 more games.

With RV at the helm, I would have thought the series would die after 9/3/16 and be replaced with home/homes VS A&M-Commerce, but maybe Baker can keep it moving... at least 5 more years.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I thought I read somewhere that the original deal was through this year's game and that both AD's are contractually obligated to enter into "Good Faith talks" to extend the series up to 7 more games.

With RV at the helm, I would have thought the series would die after 9/3/16 and be replaced with home/homes VS A&M-Commerce, but maybe Baker can keep it moving... at least 5 more years.

Not unless the last AD managed to get SMU to agree to an out clause after what would be a 2 for 1 for UNT. I think we all know that guy wasn't capable of hoodwinking a 5 year old.

The out clause is after next year's game, as I believe @Brett Vito reported?

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Not unless the last AD managed to get SMU to agree to an out clause after what would be a 2 for 1 for UNT. I think we all know that guy wasn't capable of hoodwinking a 5 year old.

The out clause is after next year's game, as I believe @Brett Vito reported?

I think that was part of the deal.  Want out of a 10-year deal?  then give UNT a 2-for-1.  
UNT shouldn't want out of this series.   SMU may think they're too big for it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think that was part of the deal.  Want out of a 10-year deal?  then give UNT a 2-for-1.  
UNT shouldn't want out of this series.   SMU may think they're too big for it.

I don't think so. Pretty sure the out clause was after 4 years. I don't think SMU would sign anything like you are suggesting. Unlike the last AD, they understand college football is a constantly changing business and realize this wouldn't benefit them. Plus I distinctly remember it being after the 4th year (when Vito found out about it, because it wasn't announced at all at the time the contract was done).

Maybe Vito can give us the answer. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I don't think so. Pretty sure the out clause was after 4 years. I don't think SMU would sign anything like you are suggesting. Unlike the last AD, they understand college football is a constantly changing business and realize this wouldn't benefit them. Plus I distinctly remember it being after the 4th year (when Vito found out about it, because it wasn't announced at all at the time the contract was done).

Maybe Vito can give us the answer. 

I was told the out clause is after four years, too. With the expansion mess, I haven't heard anything recently from Morris or Hart on our OOC schedule other than keeping TCU on the schedule. This is our last year with Baylor.

One last thing on what we offer to the Big 12. This was just released by ESPN. SMU is the toughest building for opponents the AAC. This saying something in a basketball conference with UConn, Cincy, Memphis and Temple.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17200933/american-venues-ranked-according-difficulty

Also, I just read about your new AD. I think you guys made a good hire - young, energetic and from a P5 school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MJavierSMU said:

I was told the out clause is after four years, too. With the expansion mess, I haven't heard anything recently from Morris or Hart on our OOC schedule other than keeping TCU on the schedule. This is our last year with Baylor.

One last thing on what we offer to the Big 12. This was just released by ESPN. SMU is the toughest building for opponents the AAC. This saying something in a basketball conference with UConn, Cincy, Memphis and Temple.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17200933/american-venues-ranked-according-difficulty

Also, I just read about your new AD. I think you guys made a good hire - young, energetic and from a P5 school.

"From a P5 school" isn't impressive to me at all. Much less of a challenge than he will face at UNT.

His involvement with the Memphis  turn around, his work at NW Mizzou St, and his starting up the Rogers St. program is far more impressive than his stop at Mizzou. What he will face here may be more difficult than what he faced at Rogers St. The AD here is completely dysfunctional. 

The Big 12 don't care about basketball. If they did, TCU would still be in the MWC.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MJavierSMU said:

I agree with you. The Big 12 suddenly deciding to expand now is the worst thing for SMU. Unfortunately, we didn't get to choose the timing of the promotion process. We could either sit quietly in the corner and get left behind, or throw a Hail Mary and hope for the best. Of course, we'd prefer this was on the heels of a Houston type season.

You're right that our Scout rep's opinion is meaningless but it I have a couple of contacts in the administration and I've never once heard them say anything about SMU trying to keep UNT out of a conference. Plus, we only have one vote like all of the other schools.  Now that TCU has made it back to P5, they have publicly stated they would like to have SMU in their conference again. They know there are a lot of benefits of having a true natural rival in the conference.  

The one and only thing that has kept UNT from advancing to new/better conferences is UNT themselves so yes I do believe that and always have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

"From a P5 school" isn't impressive to me at all. Much less of a challenge than he will face at UNT.

His involvement with the Memphis  turn around, his work at NW Mizzou St, and his starting up the Rogers St. program is far more impressive than his stop at Mizzou. What he will face here may be more difficult than what he faced at Rogers St. The AD here is completely dysfunctional. 

The Big 12 don't care about basketball. If they did, TCU would still be in the MWC.

Yeah, they really don't care about basketball...even though it's been the toughest league by RPI standards for the last few years. 

TCU is here because they NEEDED another team in Texas to replace A&M that the northern schools could use to get DFW exposure.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, untjim1995 said:

Yeah, they really don't care about basketball...even though it's been the toughest league by RPI standards for the last few years. 

TCU is here because they NEEDED another team in Texas to replace A&M that the northern schools could use to get DFW exposure.

You can play anyone at Jerryworld  for DFW exposure. That is a non-issue. 

When the average person thinks of the Big 12. They think football. Ask any big 12 grad that isn't a Jayhawk which is the more important sport and you will get your answer.

TCU won their way into the Big 12. Plain and simple. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

You can play anyone at Jerryworld  for DFW exposure. That is a non-issue. 

When the average person thinks of the Big 12. They think football. Ask any big 12 grad that isn't a Jayhawk which is the more important sport and you will get your answer.

TCU won their way into the Big 12. Plain and simple. 

No doubt, but your crazy if you think they don't care about it. It's a giant revenue source for their league. TCU hired Jamie Dixon because of that, otherwise, they could have continued with their Benford coach (Trent Johnson) who lost a lot. Instead, they bought him out, then paid handsomely for a name coach.

  • Downvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Future football schedules shows that the series runs through 2025 based on information furnished by UNT and confirmed by SMU.  There could be an out clause but I haven't been able to find it.  I'd guess that if there is it's likely based on one of us changing conferences.  So, unless SMU goes to the Big 12 or we go to the AAC I'd expect it to continue.  There should be decent attendance with little travel costs.  What's not to like?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

Future football schedules shows that the series runs through 2025 based on information furnished by UNT and confirmed by SMU.  There could be an out clause but I haven't been able to find it.  

 

MGB: A quick point on UNT-SMU contract, games are only set through 2017

Quote

The original contract that was signed by UNT and then by SMU in 2008 has the teams playing annual games through 2017.

The contact has additional dates set aside from 2018 to 2025 and dictates that the teams enter into “good faith negotiations” to extend the series. A UNT spokesman confirmed that the UNT-SMU contract has not been updated since.

Next year is last contractually obligated game.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SMU can't fill their own stadium if they gave away tickets. Last time they played here they didn't have a thousand show up in Denton.  We had 8-10,000 at their house last year. They won't have any attendance this year.  How can you even dream about being in the B12 when your attendance is less than our big high schools.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On August 4, 2016 at 3:32 PM, Cerebus said:

 

MGB: A quick point on UNT-SMU contract, games are only set through 2017

Next year is last contractually obligated game.  

The single best thing SMU could do for us is to stop this series and allow our new AD to actually attempt to schedule someone that might be ranked above 100 at some point in a preseason poll.

Let SMU go...they don't want to play us anyway, unless it helps them. Right now, they need the wins, but if they become a winner this year or next, they will drop us in a heartbeat. And that would be the chance for an improving Littrell team to actually schedule and beat a team at home that would bring some much needed attention to the program

  • Downvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

The single best thing SMU could do for us is to stop this series and allow our new AD to actually attempt to schedule someone that might be ranked above 100 at some point in a preseason poll.

Let SMU go...they don't want to play us anyway, unless it helps them. Right now, they need the wins, but if they become a winner this year or next, they will drop us in a heartbeat. And that would be the chance for an improving Littrell team to actually schedule and beat a team at home that would bring some much needed attention to the program

Have to disagree.  We should play the other Metroplex schools.  SMU is a natural fit on our schedule with the animosity between the students and the bragging rights for the local players.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.