Chris Cosh lands at Richmond

Harry

This is old news but I had missed it.  Man this guy has been some places!  Anyway good luck to Coach Cosh at Richmond.  It will be interesting to see how his defense fares.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. – Nick Saban, Lou Holtz, Bill Snyder, Ralph Friedgen and now Danny Rocco. Those are the head coaches that Chris Cosh, the new defensive coordinator of the University of Richmond football team has worked under during his expansive coaching career.

Rocco named Cosh to his staff on Thursday afternoon, the day after locking up 15 new signees for the Spiders on National Signing Day.

“We are all very excited to announce the hiring of Chris Cosh as our defensive coordinator and secondary coach,” Rocco said. “Chris has earned an outstanding reputation as a top level defensive coordinator and recruiter throughout his career. I have followed his career path and have great respect for his accomplishments and experiences. We feel fortunate to be able to welcome Chris and his family to the University of Richmond.”

Cosh comes to Richmond with a wealth of knowledge, serving as a defensive coordinator for 17 of his 31 seasons in coaching, including time at South Carolina, Kansas State, Maryland, South Carolina, Michigan State and Illinois.

He has served as a defensive coordinator in five of the six BCS conferences (Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Big East)

Last season, he was the defensive coordinator at North Texas after spending the 2013 and 2014 at the University of Buffalo and 2012 at the University of South Florida.

From 2009-11, Cosh was the defensive coordinator at Kansas State, where he helped rebuild the Wildcat defense culminating with a Cotton Bowl appearance in 2011. During his time in Manhattan, his defense ranked in the top-40 in the country twice, had six All-Big 12 performers, including Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year Arthur Brown and two All-Americans.

Prior to his time at Kansas State, he served as the defensive coordinator at Maryland for three seasons, twice ranking in the top-40 defensively. He tutored six All-ACC performers, including Dre Moore, who was a fourth-round draft choice in the 2008 NFL Draft, and Josh Wilson, who was taken in the second round in the 2007 NFL Draft.

Prior to his stint at Maryland, Cosh made his first stop at Kansas State for two seasons, 2004-05, under head coach Bill Snyder as linebackers coach. The Wildcat defense ranked 30th nationally in 2005. Junior linebacker Brandon Archer was an honorable mention All-Big 12 selection in 2005, an accolade which came a year after Cosh helped coach the newcomer to second-team honors in his first year as a starter.

In the five years prior to his first stop in Manhattan, Cosh served under Lou Holtz as linebackers coach (1999-2002) and defensive coordinator (2003) at South Carolina.

While at South Carolina, he helped produce some of the Southeastern Conference's top linebackers, including Kalimba Edwards (two-time first team all-league, Butkus and Lombardi Awards finalist in 2001). His resume as a position coach also includes tutoring New York Jets' first-round pick and Pro Bowler John Abraham (1999) and freshman All-American Lance Laury (2002). During his time in Columbia, S.C., the Gamecocks won back-to-back bowl games for the first time in school history.

In addition to serving under coaching legends Snyder and Holtz, Cosh was the defensive coordinator at Michigan State under current Alabama head coach Nick Saban. In his lone season (1998) in East Lansing, Mich., the Spartans upset No. 1 Ohio State and knocked off Notre Dame. Cosh's unit helped spark those wins with the 10th-ranked pass defense in the nation.

A former linebacker who earned his bachelor's degree in physical education from Virginia Tech in 1984, Cosh got his start coaching in Blacksburg, Va., where he was a student assistant during the 1983 season. He then made five different stops (Wisconsin-Oshkosh, Southeast Missouri State, UNLV and two tours at Minnesota) before settling in at Illinois.

Cosh and his wife, Mary, have two sons, J.J., who played football at the United States Naval Academy, and Billy, who just completed his playing career as a quarterback at Houston. 

15 minutes ago, Harry said:

This is old news but I had missed it.  Man this guy has been some places!  Anyway good luck to Coach Cosh at Richmond.  It will be interesting to see how his defense fares.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

UNIVERSITY OF RICHMOND, Va. – Nick Saban, Lou Holtz, Bill Snyder, Ralph Friedgen and now Danny Rocco. Those are the head coaches that Chris Cosh, the new defensive coordinator of the University of Richmond football team has worked under during his expansive coaching career.

Rocco named Cosh to his staff on Thursday afternoon, the day after locking up 15 new signees for the Spiders on National Signing Day.

“We are all very excited to announce the hiring of Chris Cosh as our defensive coordinator and secondary coach,” Rocco said. “Chris has earned an outstanding reputation as a top level defensive coordinator and recruiter throughout his career. I have followed his career path and have great respect for his accomplishments and experiences. We feel fortunate to be able to welcome Chris and his family to the University of Richmond.”

Cosh comes to Richmond with a wealth of knowledge, serving as a defensive coordinator for 17 of his 31 seasons in coaching, including time at South Carolina, Kansas State, Maryland, South Carolina, Michigan State and Illinois.

He has served as a defensive coordinator in five of the six BCS conferences (Big Ten, SEC, ACC, Big 12 and Big East)

Last season, he was the defensive coordinator at North Texas after spending the 2013 and 2014 at the University of Buffalo and 2012 at the University of South Florida.

From 2009-11, Cosh was the defensive coordinator at Kansas State, where he helped rebuild the Wildcat defense culminating with a Cotton Bowl appearance in 2011. During his time in Manhattan, his defense ranked in the top-40 in the country twice, had six All-Big 12 performers, including Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year Arthur Brown and two All-Americans.

Prior to his time at Kansas State, he served as the defensive coordinator at Maryland for three seasons, twice ranking in the top-40 defensively. He tutored six All-ACC performers, including Dre Moore, who was a fourth-round draft choice in the 2008 NFL Draft, and Josh Wilson, who was taken in the second round in the 2007 NFL Draft.

Prior to his stint at Maryland, Cosh made his first stop at Kansas State for two seasons, 2004-05, under head coach Bill Snyder as linebackers coach. The Wildcat defense ranked 30th nationally in 2005. Junior linebacker Brandon Archer was an honorable mention All-Big 12 selection in 2005, an accolade which came a year after Cosh helped coach the newcomer to second-team honors in his first year as a starter.

In the five years prior to his first stop in Manhattan, Cosh served under Lou Holtz as linebackers coach (1999-2002) and defensive coordinator (2003) at South Carolina.

While at South Carolina, he helped produce some of the Southeastern Conference's top linebackers, including Kalimba Edwards (two-time first team all-league, Butkus and Lombardi Awards finalist in 2001). His resume as a position coach also includes tutoring New York Jets' first-round pick and Pro Bowler John Abraham (1999) and freshman All-American Lance Laury (2002). During his time in Columbia, S.C., the Gamecocks won back-to-back bowl games for the first time in school history.

In addition to serving under coaching legends Snyder and Holtz, Cosh was the defensive coordinator at Michigan State under current Alabama head coach Nick Saban. In his lone season (1998) in East Lansing, Mich., the Spartans upset No. 1 Ohio State and knocked off Notre Dame. Cosh's unit helped spark those wins with the 10th-ranked pass defense in the nation.

A former linebacker who earned his bachelor's degree in physical education from Virginia Tech in 1984, Cosh got his start coaching in Blacksburg, Va., where he was a student assistant during the 1983 season. He then made five different stops (Wisconsin-Oshkosh, Southeast Missouri State, UNLV and two tours at Minnesota) before settling in at Illinois.

Cosh and his wife, Mary, have two sons, J.J., who played football at the United States Naval Academy, and Billy, who just completed his playing career as a quarterback at Houston. 

Really bro? I mean how much time did you spend looking for this?

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

He is known for his hard-hitting, innovative defensive play. The Richmond players are enthusiastic and already learning some drills from him, with emphasis on improving their toughness in game situations:

200.gif

• Upvote 6

I think it goes like this,...the Dodge/McCarney affect.

Head Coach Who Must Hire A DC:.."Hi, I'm infatuated with throwing/running the ball, and I've been doing this a long time and know best what I'm doin, but they tell me I must find someone who coaches defense, you interested?"

Cosh: "Yes.  In fact, I've coached defense for all of these head coaches..(Unfurls a scroll of names produced from back pocket)."

Head Coach Who Must Hire A DC:  "Ok...your hired."

Cosh: "Uh, don't you want to ask me any questions?"

Head Coach Who Must Hire A DC: "Nope, I'm just interested in throwing/running the ball."

Cosh: "But don't want to hear about my defensive scheme or philosophy?" 

Head Coach Who Must Hire A DC: "Nope, I just love throwing/running the ball."

Cosh: "But aren't you interested in  my track record?"

Head Coach Who Must Hire A DC:  "Nope...you coach when we don't have the ball,..I'll be drawing up our next three-N-out pass/run play series. I'm the greatest and know best"

Cosh: "Don't you want to check my references?"

Head Coach Who Must Hire A DC: "Nah...your good.  See you tomorrow".

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3