I'm paying more attention to this fall camp than I have in years...

meanrob

20 hours ago, edcollopy said:

it's the sense of having someone with a touch on today's game and today's kids...that is where I am feeling hope.  My fear is the return to Todd Dodge offensive numbers but get crushed defensively...I hope having a competent defensive staff will prevent a Dodge repeat.

Ekeler will not let this happen. He has too many skins on the wall unlike the HS defense Dodge rolled out there

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

Ekeler will not let this happen. He has too many skins on the wall unlike the HS defense Dodge rolled out there

Color me somewhat skeptical of Ekeler still.   Especially with moving to a 3-3-5 scheme.  There's going to be a lot of 'learning' going on this season defensively.
Recall, one of his "skins on the wall" as a DC (not just as a LB coach, where he's fantastic) is a 24-21 loss to a 5-win UNT team where his defense got torched by Lance Dunbar for over 250yds.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Color me somewhat skeptical of Ekeler still.   Especially with moving to a 3-3-5 scheme.  There's going to be a lot of 'learning' going on this season defensively.
Recall, one of his "skins on the wall" as a DC (not just as a LB coach, where he's fantastic) is a 24-21 loss to a 5-win UNT team where his defense got torched by Lance Dunbar for over 250yds.

Just with his recruiting, it "feels" like Coach Ekeler has already done more this offseason to improve the team than Cosh did the entire time he was here.

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

Just with his recruiting, it "feels" like Coach Ekeler has already done more this offseason to improve the team than Cosh did the entire time he was here.

Coach Cosh cannot be the bar.  His defense was awful.  We need to expect more from Ekeler.   I hope he comes through.  I'll be cheering for him.

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Don't forget Reffett is HEAVILY involved in game planning and calling the defense. This combo is tough to prepare for in a week's time, and could wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Don't forget Reffett is HEAVILY involved in game planning and calling the defense. This combo is tough to prepare for in a week's time, and could wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

I honestly have more confidence in Reffett as a DC than I do Ekeler as he did rather well at ULM of all places.  But I bet Ekeler has learned a little since his time as DC at Indiana, and deserves our support even if there is some initial suffering this season during transition.

On 8/2/2016 at 1:24 PM, Aldo said:

I feel like all Cosh did was pour gasoline on this dumpster fire and watched it burn