Smatresk: UNT names Wren Baker as Vice President and Director of Athletics

Cerebus

Dear UNT community,

I’m excited to tell you that minutes ago UNT named a new vice president and director of athletics, Wren Baker. Wren, who will join us Aug. 22, currently serves as the interim Director of Athletics at the University of Missouri.

This is a great step forward for UNT and the Mean Green. Wren brings a wealth of experience in running a strong athletics program, ensuring that student-athletes succeed in competition and the classroom, and building and maintaining a strong fan and donor base. And as an Oklahoma native, he knows what sports fever is like in this part of the country. You can read more about his experience in our news release.

Wren has the passion and wherewithal to take our athletics program to the next level. With him on board, along with our new football coach Seth Littrell, we’re starting a new era in athletics and I’m excited about what’s to come. New leadership. New era. New opportunities!

I want to thank Hank Dickenson for serving as our acting athletics director. He’s been a devoted member of our athletics staff for more than two decades. Because of his Mean Green passion, his knowledge and relationships throughout the community, we’ve had a smooth transition these last few months as he has diligently worked to keep our program moving forward.

I also want to thank the search committee for the time, energy and care they put into finding and recommending Wren. His dynamic leadership experience makes him a great choice.

I hope to see you at games this fall, starting with the opening of our football season on Sept. 3! We take on hometown rival SMU at Apogee. Come cheer on the Mean Green!

UNT Proud,

Neal Smatresk

President