Wren Baker heavy favorite to be new AD at North Texas

Harry

Much like new Mean Green head football coach Seth Littrell, Baker is a young Oklahoma native who views the North Texas job as an opportunity to move closer to home while taking over a program with a high ceiling. Littrell hails from Muskogee, Okla., and played for Bob Stoops at Oklahoma, while Baker is a Valliant, Okla., native that jumped into college sports administration as a basketball operations assistant under Eddie Sutton at Oklahoma State.

At North Texas, Baker would inherit a retooling football program and a men’s basketball program that has seen both its attendance and win totals drop following Johnny Jones’ 2012 departure for LSU. The Mean Green finished 245th in the 2015-16 Learfield Sports Directors’ Cup standings, second-to-last among FBS institutions. Baker’s first key decision would be whether or not to retain interim AD Hank Dickenson, a quarter-century veteran of the department and candidate for the full-time AD job who is extremely popular both within the department and in the community.

Read more:. http://footballscoop.com/news/sources-wren-baker-heavy-favorite-new-ad-north-texas/#

5 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

I am for keeping Hank.  I know a lot of you don't think that is a good plan, but I think it helps not hurts.  He is very connected around town, loves this University and well respected.

I prefer results, not what a good guy someone is.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4

28 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Cut Hank loose or he will cut you off at the knees.

Hank has a good qualities but there's something to be said for cutting lose those who could undermine your authority.   I think we'll see lots of changes in staff but it'll be interesting to see how fast those changes come. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

I like results as well, but spend a lot of time in Denton and you will see how well respected and liked he is.   What has he not done that you want him gone?  Do you want them get rid of everyone in Athletics?

Everyone but Cinnamon Sheffield and Reggie Johnson

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

That website gave me cancer

If you think Seth's "awful" site is bad.  This one, this one... is unbelievably bad.  Someone should be flogged.  It loaded about 58,000 different images and basically never finished loading/ reloading/ jumping to different sections.  WOW.  

3erCjCYAjEcTe.gif

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stan R said:

If you think Seth's "awful" site is bad.  This one, this one... is unbelievably bad.  Someone should be flogged.  It loaded about 58,000 different images and basically never finished loading/ reloading/ jumping to different sections.  WOW.  

3erCjCYAjEcTe.gif

I thought it was just my phone that was having a heart attack. Glad to know it's just an awful site.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

I like results as well, but spend a lot of time in Denton and you will see how well respected and liked he is.   What has he not done that you want him gone?  Do you want them get rid of everyone in Athletics?

Stand up to old what's-his-name for 15 years and try to influence decisions...or worse, he might have! I think he is a good soldier who just went along to get along. He must go now.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

How are promotions going? That's a Hank responsibility. How was that Georgio arm twist at the fan meeting? That was a Hank promotion. How was that Hank campaign for AD? That was a Hank promotion. 

It seems Hank is better at promoting himself than he is UNT. Just got rid of one of those. Don't want another anywhere near the program.

Anytime there is a disagreement with Baker, bet your ass Hank will run to C Dan Smith in an attempt to undercut Baker's authority. 

Want a calamity (again) of a divided AD? Let Hank keep collecting a check. 

George Dunham stood up and said Hank made excuses for "the last guy" for 15 years. I don't want anyone's 15 year excuse maker anywhere near this AD. I don't want anyone that has the ability to make excuses near this AD. 

Clear 'nuff?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

24 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

It's official, guys.

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Ain't nothin' official til it's official.  

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the school has not officially announced the hire.

The school's board of trustees is expected to approve the hire by the end of the week.

Recall the Ticket calling Fran the basketball coach THE MORNING OF THE DAY THEY HIRED BENFORD.

PTSD tells me to wait until I see an official UNT press conference with a microphone and green sweater vests.

• Upvote 6

200.gif

8 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Recall the Ticket calling Fran the basketball coach THE MORNING OF THE DAY THEY HIRED BENFORD.

PTSD tells me to wait until I see an official UNT press conference with a microphone and green sweater vests.

200_s.gif

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 4

I know we've already had the first-reporter/real reporting conversation.  I just want to say I'm surprised how far the media has taken this considering everything is supposed to be hush hush, and nothing is official yet.

Keeping Hank is questionable.  His results thus far have had mostly negative reviews.  I've read several posters talk about negative encounters with him.

I think we can all agree that this trend cannot continue.  So, at best, you're hoping he learns to adjust to the new faculty and can repair/mend these burned bridges.

I am usually one to choose to see the best in people, but I also know that - in general - most people don't change.  Especially that many years into a department/venture.

I'd rather see new blood and wish Hank the best.  I'm willing to hear out counterarguments.

• Upvote 1