If MWC loses a team, UNT could be in play...

Harry

17 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

When we were in the Big West in the 90s we traveled out that way all the time. MWC has much better programs than those days too. As a player everyone was just upset when we couldn't buy beer when the busses got back to Denton because it was later. (Yes, college players drink beer after games sometimes.) As a fan, I like the distance of several CUSA opponents but the MWC would be better for the University. There's a reason TCU jumped ship on CUSA for MWC. I don't know if it matters in the long run. I'd like to see us in the AAC or MWC because CUSA is essentially the Sunbelt.

As long as SMU is in the AAC we won't be. 

I've been advocating for the MWC since the moment we stepped foot in CUSA. You should always try and better yourself. Doing that takes sacrifices (late games, longer travel). TCU, it's fans, and the City of Fort Worth got this. 

Meanwhile in Denton, the last regime trumpeted CUSA entrance as their crowning jewel and just quit trying to improve.

Then we finally get rid of the guy behind that problem, and the City of Denton (including misguided business owners who have been personally manipulated) wants to hire that guy's protege as AD.

The dysfunction in all aspects of this place is truly amazing. Let's hope this is the first step in solving THAT problem. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I have always believed that our way upward would be to go out west to the MWC, but that ship sailed. 

If the MWC wants to get into Texas, they can add UTEP, Rice, or UTSA and get everything that we can offer and more. That's three cities with a bowl game to get a tie-in with.

In reality, the MWC is just waiting to get the Big XII leftovers when it falls apart. That is TCU, Baylor, Tech, and probably Houston to consider adding. Those are much higher than anyone else in the AAC or CUSA. 

If we could have ever received an invite to the MWC, it was when TCU left. But we were in the Dodge Doldrums and then our basketball program fell apart very quickly. Today, we just don't have anyone jumping up and down to have us in their conference above where we sit today. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

As long as SMU is in the AAC we won't be. 

I've been advocating for the MWC since the moment we stepped foot in CUSA. You should always try and better yourself. Doing that takes sacrifices (late games, longer travel). TCU, it's fans, and the City of Fort Worth got this. 

Meanwhile in Denton, the last regime trumpeted CUSA entrance as their crowning jewel and just quit trying to improve.

Then we finally get rid of the guy behind that problem, and the City of Denton (including misguided business owners who have been personally manipulated) wants to hire that guy's protege as AD.

The dysfunction in all aspects of this place is truly amazing. Let's hope this is the first step in solving THAT problem. 

I agree AAC thing wouldn't happen because of SMU and the television coverage. Moving to the MWC conference would show an actual commitment to athletics. It wouldn't hurt the conference either because it would expand its exposure into one of the largest metropolitan areas in the country with serious talent to visit when they play here. I'm really ready for this ship to get back on course. I'm not getting younger...

38 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I have always believed that our way upward would be to go out west to the MWC, but that ship sailed. 

If the MWC wants to get into Texas, they can add UTEP, Rice, or UTSA and get everything that we can offer and more. That's three cities with a bowl game to get a tie-in with.

In reality, the MWC is just waiting to get the Big XII leftovers when it falls apart. That is TCU, Baylor, Tech, and probably Houston to consider adding. Those are much higher than anyone else in the AAC or CUSA. 

If we could have ever received an invite to the MWC, it was when TCU left. But we were in the Dodge Doldrums and then our basketball program fell apart very quickly. Today, we just don't have anyone jumping up and down to have us in their conference above where we sit today. 

If they added two Texas teams it would be us and probably utsa. Rice is too close to utsa and utep doesn't bring anything to the table. Adding utsa and us allows the MWC to gain exposure in north and south Texas.

Edited by eagle2014
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, eagle2014 said:

If they added two Texas teams it would be us and probably utsa. Rice is too close to utsa and utep doesn't bring anything to the table. Adding utsa and us allows the MWC to gain exposure in north and south Texas.

And what does UNT bring to the table? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

3 minutes ago, eagle2014 said:

UTEP brings more than you think. They are decent match for them geographically, decent sized city with no competition, rich basketball history.

Are there also some issues with them (and even in the three off the cuff pluses from above)? Yes, buy there's more there than you think.

• Upvote 1

Just now, eagle2014 said:

Being in North Texas. That is much more than utep could bring.

I think it's going to take more than a TV market.

UTEP brings a branded basketball program that has won a national title. 

UTEP brings s hell of a lot more than 13k to home games.

UTEP is a recognizable brand. UNT isn't. And that's far more important than a TV market in which UNT will bring you a close to zero share. 

I hope and pray you are right, but I fear this AD hire comes 5 years too late. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

52 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I think it's going to take more than a TV market.

UTEP brings a branded basketball program that has won a national title. 

UTEP brings s hell of a lot more than 13k to home games.

UTEP is a recognizable brand. UNT isn't. And that's far more important than a TV market in which UNT will bring you a close to zero share. 

I hope and pray you are right, but I fear this AD hire comes 5 years too late. 

Judging by the negative feedback people don't like the cold, hard truth. Because that's what this is right here. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Harry said:

read more:  http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/harry-minium/conference-usa-kicks-off-two-day-football-media-event-today/article_84319471-6923-5e34-bea3-bb108e7b6e2a.html

Boy could the timing be worse for us?  We need our new AD out there shaking hands and kissing babies right now.  Maybe Hank is filling the void?

No doubt.  The new guy needs to hurry and work a little magic with "all of his connections."  :)

NT has been left behind. The MWC won't even give UNT a sniff. Historically bad in football and a disaster in both football & basketball the last 5 years. UTEP would be a top candidate, imo...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Let's let the Big XII implode, pick up the pieces and form our own conference, The New Southwest Conference, UNT, TCU, Tech, OSU, Rice, UTEP, Southern Miss, LaTech, Baylor, Tulsa and UH.

Very unlikely. TCU, Tech, OSU and Baylor would be more likely to lobby into the PAC, Big 10, AAC, or MWC. And if they did form a new conference it would be a slim chance UNT gets invited. We always want to look at it as what's most beneficial to us, but if you put yourself in their shoes, say you were OSU or TCU, and could have your pick of members to form a new conference without biases who would you pick? UNT would be far down the list.

• Upvote 3

If you don't think it can happen then please stay clear of the AD office.  This guy or gal needs to come in with the mindset Seth did when he recruited GH - it's a goldmine here. Add some political charisma and sell the fact that we are within earshot of the hottest market in Texas and one of the premier growing destinations in the world.  

Can do attitude a must.  Get us into the MWC.  We get there with Texas State (Austin), UTSA (San Antonio), UNT (DFW).  We don't command those markets but recruiting from these areas to places like ABQ, Laramie, Vegas, SDSU and SJC would have some legs.

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't believe SMU has that much power in the aac. Sounds like an excuse the old AD would use.

If they didn't want to be associated with us,  why would they agree to a long term series? 

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 4

49 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

NT has been left behind. The MWC won't even give UNT a sniff. Historically bad in football and a disaster in both football & basketball the last 5 years. UTEP would be a top candidate, imo...

I've been around UTEP for a lot of my life. UTEP has a lot of issues. They were once a great basketball school but those days are in the the rear view. It's a really hard sell to recruits in any sport, teams don't like to go there, it has almost zero up side in recruiting, and the school is an academic joke. There are good folks in EP but people from there, like me, know the issues it has. So do people in athletics. 

UNT is in a great location, great media marketing area, great recruiting area, and people like coming to the metroplex. Our school is a disaster of late but we are a big good school in a good area. UTEP fans that are family and friends of mine say the same.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

A 6pm Kick-off in Denton is a 4pm kick-off out West.....Now, if kick-off was 8pm West, that would put it 10pm here in Denton....that would be tough....

The MWC covers two time zones.  They all won't be 2 hours diference.

6 hours ago, greenminer said:

Personally, I'm not excited about the burden of travel the MWC presents to UNT.

And traveling to Marshall, Western Kentucky, Old Dominion, and F_U is easier?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

The MWC covers two time zones.  They all won't be 2 hours diference.

And traveling to Marshall, Western Kentucky, Old Dominion, and F_U is easier?

Touché, but the TV schedule is potentially, what, 2 hours different?

i actually like the MWC teams better. I can be talked into this.

Everyone forgets when TCU joined the MWC they were given a special deal to minimize late games. The MWC really wanted TCU at the time and was willing to deal to get them. TCU wanted to get away from SMU and Rice and really wanted out of CUSA for that reason. The MWC schools aren't desperate anymore will no longer make exceptions for the Central Time Zone. And games in the Mountain and Western time zones hurts coverage for the Stars, Rangers and Mavericks. They all complain about it often. If it hurts professional teams, do you really think it won't hurt a college team? 

There is a very big assumption the MWC wants members in the Dallas, Houston and/or San Antonio markets, but they have NEVER cared about markets before. They want teams THEIR EXISTING teams want to play. That was the reason for TCU, the DFW market was a minor bonus. 

If the MWC loses Colorado State - and that's a huge if - the addition that makes the most sense based on the history of the MWC is UTEP. And that assumes then choose to backfill and the NCAA now has rules that don't make that necessary. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mgfan said:

I don't believe SMU has that much power in the aac. Sounds like an excuse the old AD would use.

If they didn't want to be associated with us,  why would they agree to a long term series? 

Leave SMU out of it. Why would AAC want 2 teams that are 30 miles from each other?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, UNT90 said:

To clarify a point of the narrative here: the Denton CVB, along with the woman who runs it and who penned that supporting OpEd, is not the City of Denton. There are indeed many who love Hank among those ranks, but it cannot certainly be classified as the civic powers-that-be or likewise. 

17 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

To clarify a point of the narrative here: the Denton CVB, along with the woman who runs it and who penned that supporting OpEd, is not the City of Denton. There are indeed many who love Hank among those ranks, but it cannot certainly be classified as the civic powers-that-be or likewise. 

It was the entire business community. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1