If MWC loses a team, UNT could be in play...

Harry

Both the American and Mountain West likely would replace at least some of their losses from C-USA. Old Dominion, UNC Charlotte, Southern Miss, and Marshall are potential replacements for the American from C-USA. Rice and Texas-San Antonio could join that list if the Big 12, as expected, takes Houston.

Rice, UTSA, UTEP and North Texas could all be in play to move to the Mountain West if that leagues loses a school or two.

read more:  http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/harry-minium/conference-usa-kicks-off-two-day-football-media-event-today/article_84319471-6923-5e34-bea3-bb108e7b6e2a.html

Boy could the timing be worse for us?  We need our new AD out there shaking hands and kissing babies right now.  Maybe Hank is filling the void?

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

read more:  http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/football/harry-minium/conference-usa-kicks-off-two-day-football-media-event-today/article_84319471-6923-5e34-bea3-bb108e7b6e2a.html

Boy could the timing be worse for us?  We need our new AD out there shaking hands and kissing babies right now.  Maybe Hank is filling the void?

Hard to believe if Hank is out the door(which according to others, is the case) he's doing anything other than collecting a paycheck at this point

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I would jump at the Mountain West in a New York minute, but I'm biased.  I'm from the west, and the teams are more recognizable to me than Charlotte or Old Dominion (which I'm entirely unsure of what state it's even in).

As an aside, a major plus for UNT is that only seven of 11 current MWC full members have baseball and most of that is pretty crappy baseball, so they most certainly wouldn't hold it against us that we keep tripping over our own feet on that front.

Extra super secret sauce bonus:  The entire Mountain West Conference was founded upon a bunch of WAC teams fleeing the incompetent desperation of one Karl Benson.  No freaking way he ever comes knocking if we're in that conference.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Why would NT even want to be in the MWC?  A marginally better conference now, but may not be long.  I guess not many remember the Big West. 

Sure it is a consideration, if the MWC develops an Eastern presence; but that is just speculation at this point.   

Much more stable conference, better bowl tie ins. 

PERCEPTION

PERCEPTION

PERCEPTION

Thinking like this is what has made/kept UNT the butt of athletic jokes throughout Texas.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

37 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Why would NT even want to be in the MWC?  A marginally better conference now, but may not be long.  I guess not many remember the Big West. 

Sure it is a consideration, if the MWC develops an Eastern presence; but that is just speculation at this point.   

Maybe the better question is...   Do you?  The existing MWC =/= BigWest.  It's much better, and much more recognized/respected than C-USA is now.  It's just how it is.

A "marginally better" conference?   I suppose the AAC is also a "marginally better" conference?   

Look, we're not getting into the big12 any time soon.    If we want to get up there eventually, we need to take steps up to "marginally better" conferences until we get there...  A-la TCU.  A-la Houston (possibly).

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Harry said:

Again could see them loose BYU and CSU... Only option would be Texas schools.

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So we've made a step up to a better conference once.  We've not done well sans 1 season.   Going to need to win if we're going to step up again.

Getting rid of a guy who was looked at as a huge joke by other programs and conferences is a big step in the right direction (unless you hire his 15 year understudy), but winning HAS to occur, and occur quickly.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

The AAC and the MWC are considered the 2 best G5s. The next tier is CUSA and the MAC, followed by the lowly Sun Belt. 

The CUSA gets better ratings, more viewership, better and stronger markets, etc. than the MAC. I would put CUSA in their own G5 tier. The MAC is more closely associated with the belt than it is CUSA. 

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

The CUSA gets better ratings, more viewership, better and stronger markets, etc. than the MAC. I would put CUSA in their own G5 tier. The MAC is more closely associated with the belt than it is CUSA. 

I'm going strictly by football reputation. 

• Downvote 1