MGN Podcast 61: Summer Time

aztecskin

3 hours ago, Aldo said:

Offense is definitely going to mask some of our deficiencies, and make watching a little more fun.

Agree about Cade Pearson. Might make some noise in a few years.

I think with SL's '1 QB A Year' goal, we at least should have some depth there. Makes everyone better. 

12 hours ago, aztecskin said:

I can't imagine he'll toss INTs. He seems more like the type to toss incompletes when he fails. 

There is zero knowledge base to say either way. He could complete 65% of his passes or he could be MiniMac reincarnated.

We start finding out Sept 3

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

There is zero knowledge base to say either way. He could complete 65% of his passes or he could be MiniMac reincarnated.

We start finding out Sept 3

Arm  strength alone makes him different than McNulty....it changes what we are able to do on offense.

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Spring game numbers were very similar. 

Sept. 3rd

Everything else wasn't. His arm strength is better, but its not great. There is plenty of knowledge base to say he is better than McNulty. You have to trust those people that know what to look for when grading a QB. Any of the guys on here who are coaches could evaluate him as being better than McNulty. Myself an armature scout/analyst lol would also grade him out far ahead of McNulty.

You have every right to be skeptical though and I dont fault you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Everything else wasn't. His arm strength is better, but its not great. There is plenty of knowledge base to say he is better than McNulty. You have to trust those people that know what to look for when grading a QB. Any of the guys on here who are coaches could evaluate him as being better than McNulty. Myself an armature scout/analyst lol would also grade him out far ahead of McNulty.

You have every right to be skeptical though and I dont fault you.

Heard the same things about Berglund. A lot of fans (coaches included) look at UNT through green sunglasses.

Sept. 3rd.

He may be Jeff Driskel or he may be MiniMac. 

Sept 3rd

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

He may be Jeff Driskel or he may be MiniMac. 

Sept 3rd

He's certainly not Driskel. He's certainly not McNulty.

All we need is an avg CUSA level QB around here, and it will make things more interesting.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Aldo said:

He's certainly not Driskel. He's certainly not McNulty.

All we need is an avg CUSA level QB around here, and it will make things more interesting.

And your basis for this prediction is one collegiate pass?

Quite the evaluator. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, UNT90 said:

Quite the evaluator. 

It's not hard to find years of Alabama workouts, spring games in addition to what we have seen during his short time on campus. I'm talking about mechanics and talent, not in game experience.

No idea how he will handle a real game or how his talents translate on the field, but we can at least prognosticate based on what we see. He is not as talented as Driskel, and he has way more natural and physical gifts than McNulty ever did. Heck, McNulty looked indecisive and inefficient during spring practices last offseason.

It's reasonable to want to be cautious over the QB position at a place like UNT, but it is easy to see how the historically poor 2015 QB play and depth is elevated with Morris and a healthy Shanbour.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Aldo said:

No I'm telling you he's better than McNulty and not as good as Driskel. 

And basing that on one pass in live game action.

I mean, Driskel was a high caliber CUSA QB and Mini shouldn't have been playing the position at the FBS level, so chances are you are right.

But it's not because we have any idea one way or the other how he will perform. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It seems like you are suggesting that we should just shut down the board and all discussion about anything ever, given our inability to see into the future. 

Given I cannot control what other people said to you about Berglund and how much weight you placed that opinion, I'll defer to you as Thread Resident Evidence-Based Observation Police to tell me why what you heard some other dude say matters in this thread. 

July 22nd. 

39 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Quite the evaluator. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Just now, aztecskin said:

It seems like you are suggesting that we should just shut down the board and all discussion about anything ever, given our inability to see into the future. 

Given I cannot control what other people said to you about Berglund and how much weight you placed that opinion, I'll defer to you as Thread Resident Evidence-Based Observation Police to tell me why what you heard some other dude say matters in this thread. 

July 22nd. 

Don't get all b hurt because I disagree with you. Good Lord. 

Take solace. Sept 3 is but 7 weeks away. Maybe you will get to tell me "I told you so" at that time. 

That will make you feel better, right? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

And basing that on one pass in live game action.

I have never seen said pass, if it's any consolation.

Our conversation didn't start about how well Morris will perform, it's about where in the talent range Morris falls between Driskell & Ebert and AM05 version beta.

And according to the years of tape that has accumulated where you can see his throwing mechanics, ball placement, types of throws, his physical presence/natural size, he falls in the middle.

Like you said, it's a wide safe margin, but he's better than McNulty.

Edited by Aldo

3 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Our conversation didn't start about how well Morris will perform, it's about where in the talent range Morris falls between Driskell & Ebert and AM05 version beta.

And according to the years of tape that has accumulated where you can see his throwing mechanics, ball placement, types of throws, his physical presence/natural size, he falls in the middle.

Like you said, it's a wide safe margin, but he's better than McNulty.

yeah to clarify -- Given Alec's experience, background, training, and the dudes he has coaching him up now I don't think he'll take unnecessary chances with the ball -- like Dajon -- or have INTs that come from weak arm strength -- Mini Mac. He seems like he'll throw intentionally incomplete, or so far away from the defense that it will hit the ground or something. I feel like we'll see a lot of check downs. That's not terrible. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aztecskin said:

yeah to clarify -- Given Alec's experience, background, training, and the dudes he has coaching him up now I don't think he'll take unnecessary chances with the ball -- like Dajon -- or have INTs that come from weak arm strength -- Mini Mac. He seems like he'll throw intentionally incomplete, or so far away from the defense that it will hit the ground or something. I feel like we'll see a lot of check downs. That's not terrible. 

And he's had some good ($$) trainers. He needs to work on his fade throws, but his stuff over the middle is accurate, and his placement of throws is good.

His check down is the best out of him and Shanbour. I say that both humorously and sadly. We will be using the swing/wheel route pass frequently, and Shanbour has some work to do in that department.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Harry said:

Arm  strength alone makes him different than McNulty....it changes what we are able to do on offense.

Keep an eye out for Devin O'Hara as well. Big kid who can really spin it. We have to hope that he can push Morris to the point where it makes both better.

Have also heard that Mason Fine is an animal in summer workouts and can throw the heck out of it...

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, untcampbell said:

I enjoy the dulcet tones of Adam and Greg, and appreciate the off season baNTer. Always appreciate the efforts and insights of our NT podcasters. Thanks to all.

GMG

Thanks! Like I said at the end of the show, I really appreciate the feedback. It's always good to know we aren't (always) talking into the great void.