Cincy, Brigham Young, Houston and UConn to Big 12 for 2017

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

So Marshall, Southern Miss, and FIU go.  Then we get Arkie St, LaLa, and what, Georgia Southern?  One step forward, fifteen steps back.

Also, we need an athletic director.  Stat.

If THAT happens, there better be annual 10 win seasons.

• Upvote 2

I hate to be a negative nelly but once this goes down we are unofficially 1-AA into perpetuity.  We did not have the right AD or President at the helm over all these years to get it done for us.  If we can start winning I will remain a fan and a donor.  I will show up to games and have a blast.  With that said, I was attending UNT when we made the move to 1-A and I was so excited as I had visions of us playing on Saturdays with the big boys.  I was naïve to the college landscape at that time and did not realize how ill-prepared and underfunded we were for the move higher.  Still I have always held out hope and put my money were my mouth was.  I don't hold that hope anymore.  At this point all I want to see is winning sports at a clean program. We still have a long way to go to achieve that relatively low bar. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, Coach Bill Lewis said:

You heard it here first.  Looks like the AAC has to replace three.  Probably Southern Miss, FIU and Marshall is my best guess.  Maybe Rice or SMU for academics. 

I don't see FIU. Bottom of the AAC is already too weak. I would expect USM and the AAC to stay at 10.

Either way realignment doesn't affect us, we're left out of this round. We just need to be a consistent powerhouse in the next iteration of CUSA.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My bets are Cincy as travel partner for W.V., then both UCF and USF.BYU brings too many scheduling problems plus their own t.v. programing, and Houston doesn't open any new markets.U.Conn. bring very little to the table except good basketball in a  bad location. My compromise choice would be Memphis backed by big bucks F.X.

18 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

So Marshall, Southern Miss, and FIU go.  Then we get Arkie St, LaLa, and what, Georgia Southern?  One step forward, fifteen steps back.

CUSA will only add 1 if they lose 3 to go to 12 members.  If lose only 1 then will only add 1 to get back to an even number of members.  If 2 members are lost CUSA will not add any new members and stay at 12.  ArkSt and Georgia Southern will not move to CUSA due to the fact that the move will be seen as a lateral move.  CUSA best bet to accept an invitation is Texas State or Georgia State.  Just my opinion. 

Just now, ValleyBoy said:

CUSA will only add 1 if they lose 3 to go to 12 members.  If lose only 1 then will only add 1 to get back to an even number of members.  If 2 members are lost CUSA will not add any new members and stay at 12.  ArkSt and Georgia Southern will not move to CUSA due to the fact that the move will be seen as a lateral move.  CUSA best bet to accept an invitation is Texas State or Georgia State.  Just my opinion. 

It'd be fun to have Texas State (say what y'all will)

Not a lateral move to CUSA. Money money money.

• Upvote 2

On July 20, 2016 at 6:02 PM, oldguystudent said:

We needed one for the last 10 years.

Failure to have one may mean returning to the Sun Belt Conference by another name. 

On July 22, 2016 at 11:07 PM, Ben Gooding said:

We need to set our aim on MWC. No if or but about it. Act rather than react for once North Texas. 

I said this when everyone was celebrating joining CUSA and was chastised for it. Maybe even by you. 

Nothing in this world stays static. Something utterly lost on the last AD and many in this fan base and on this board. 

On July 22, 2016 at 10:22 PM, Rudy said:

If Marshall is gone, then we need to bolt this has been conference.

And go where?

We aren't what one would call marketable at this moment.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If the AAC wants to remain viable they will likely stay at 12.  That might keep them together for awhile.  If they only add one that could possibly void the current TV contract and ten teams would result in a lesser payout resulting in less distribution to each team since the top three would be gone.

Otherwise, with much larger travel expenses for Tulsa and SMU and increases for Memphis and Tulane, they could be amenable to forming a new regional conference.  Add UTEP, North Texas, UTSA, Rice, Louisiana Tech and Southern Miss from CUSA and Arkansas State and Louisiana from the SBC for a 12-team conference.    

On 7/21/2016 at 0:46 PM, ValleyBoy said:

Unless things have changed quickly and dramatically, ASU would jump immediately.  I know that a couple of years ago the coaches wanted into C-USA--badly.

7 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Unless things have changed quickly and dramatically, ASU would jump immediately.  I know that a couple of years ago the coaches wanted into C-USA--badly.

It would depend on if we charged them the 2 million entry fee.  That gets lost in translation.  We had to pay in full and didn't end up with what we thought we were paying for in some respects.

On 7/21/2016 at 2:10 PM, DeepGreen said:

If this plays out, I wonder what it will feel like for Texas, OU, and Tx Tech to drop down to the old Missouri Valley Conference level?

Sounds like you're getting "deep" into that bottle of crown royal again!