DRC: Apogee five years later Part II (Fans reflect on seat investments 5 years later)

Brett Vito

7 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

Yes I do find that statement ironic.  Or is it idiotic.  By all means let's tear down fans for their giving. I mean we have so many to spare we are just culling the heard.  

At the very first opportunity I had I donated my hard earned money to the stadium project.  I had no desire to sit in club seats or meet RV.  I desperately wanted UNT to succeed in athletics.  End of story.  So the stadium is built and my donation covered the commitment for club seats.  Hell yes I jumped all over it and the only access I wanted was to a Jack and Coke and some AC.  Your comment has me seeing red because no matter their resources everyone who gives to the school has a choice of what to do with their money.  We chose UNT.  So now the game is to finger point and chastise our own. That is insane. That is disgusting. 

Do you seriously think he was talking about every club member?

6 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

That is fine point until you deal with the reality that ticket buyers who is not reasonably invested into success of the program aren't sitting in their seats for even 5 of the 6 homes game we get a year.  So that 14,000 is inflated.  Even if we averaged 18,000 to 20,000 paid for tickets a game and had less than 10,000 in actual attendance that would still be a huge problem.  You don't change the perception of a program with a balance sheet.  Don't agree?  What if Seth get it really going and we get a Holiday Bowl bid (I know conference bowl agreements make this an impossibility now but bare with me)  If we could guarantee that UNT fans would sellout our allotment "Holiday Bowl" tickets but only half or less of our fans would actually show up the Holiday Bowl organizers would incompetent if they weren't looking for a replacement for us.  You don't impress recruits, students, or anyone with a good team in a half empty stadium no matter how many tickets you sold.  So yes the Graham Harrell fan club is welcome but if you think they are show up at a game in November that is damp, windy with temperatures in the 40s you are dreaming.  They will find other things to do cause it doesn't mean much to them.

NOTE: I count ACTUAL attendance as being in the stadium from the midpoint of the first quarter to at least 2 minutes into the 4th quarter of a game that is in doubt.  I have been attending games since Darrell Dickey days and in my experience our ACTUAL attendance figure I estimate is right at 10,000.  And If is an average bad season it is lower than 10,000.

Come on, now. All of our fans would be there.

Unless Alabama was playing in a bowl somewhere.

What are the odds of THAT happening?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

17 minutes ago, eppy4life said:

Even you must realize how silly a statement that is.

Probably just all that hatred I propogate...

16 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

@unt90 Yes he did.  That is how it is written.  Some of your comments are equally as bad towards donors. I guess for some giving is not good enough it's HOW you give.  

Good Lord, man. Get off the "you can't ever criticize how people donate" high horse. 

Giving money and expecting nothing in return is a problem. This mindset is the reason RV could coast for 10 years without consequences. 

So no, giving money and not caring about results is not acceptable to me.

And I really could care less whether you like that or not.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Good Lord, man. Get off the "you can't ever criticize how people donate" high horse. 

Giving money and expecting nothing in return is a problem. This mindset is the reason RV could coast for 10 years without consequences. 

So you know all of these donors?  You know their story?  They personally told you that they don't care about winning? 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

The reasons your access comment struck a nerve are: (i) the reason you get access are because the program is small time, thus it is taken to mean that you want the program to remain small time; and (ii) you juxtaposed it with Alabama  which (a) can only be taken as bragging, and (b) tells everyone you have essentially jumped ship when it comes to caring about success of a program. There were no positive reasons to mention (ii), so you should not be surprised that it makes some of us sick. I am so tired of bandwagon fans like all the Steelers fans all over the place who have never been to Pittsburgh for example. That's the kind of thing you're doing. 

For people who invested in the stadium Club level, I hope you enjoy your hobnobbing. Pandering to the few of you is what has the program in the toilet. No doubt you find that sentiment ironic given your support. The university thinking such few would dig it out is one of the fatal errors they made. 

The comment from my wife being from Alabama, and us having season tickets, is the we still enjoy coming to UNT games and supporting this program.....we make 1-2 games a year with Bama.  If an Alabama fan can support UNT in it's current state, why can't everybody.  Many forget the BAMA had a very rough decade in the '80s when they didn't see a lot of success, but the fans remained loyal and didn't start turning on everybody and criticizing every move.  No bragging....  And yes, I do like the social aspect of the Club Seats....it is nice to be there with like minded fans supporting our program through good and ....BAD times....it is still our program.....  I WISH to the end of times we were like BAMA with a sold-out venue every game, and fans going crazy on every play.....  But I am still a UNT fan now and forever.....no need to criticize me and others for that....

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

At least UNT90 isn't in denial about our program, I give him props for keeping it real.

parental-guidance.jpg

5 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

So you know all of these donors?  You know their story?  They personally told you that they don't care about winning? 

They didn't have to. RV was left in place for 10 years of losing and they bought every excuse. 

Because RV was such a nice guy.

And it took a power struggle for the President to FINALLY fire RV.

I guess you haven't been paying attention these last 8 months? 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 10

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Oh trust me I have been paying attention.  What is abundantly clear is you know nothing of the people you speak of.  You don't know their position on RV.  You have never spoken to any of them. By all means sit on your internet perch and shout down the people that care because they fit the narrative you created in your head. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Just now, HoustonEagle said:

Oh trust me I have been paying attention.  What is abundantly clear is you know nothing of the people you speak of.  You don't know their position on RV.  You have never spoken to any of them. By all means sit on your internet perch and shout down the people that care because they fit the narrative you created in your head. 

Because you know who I have spoken to? Lol.

It would surprise you if you actually had this information. 

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

The problem is that MeanGreen_MBA never said he didn't want UNT to win, never said he picked Club Seats to rub elbows with the AD, didn't pick Alabama out of thin air as a comparison, etc...  You just twisted everything to fit your agenda.  He stated he liked to social aspect of being up there which to me is no different than saying I like my seats in Section 106 because I like the people that sit around me.  Sometimes it is best to just bite your tongue or maybe realize that a lot of people share your passion to see us succeed, but they go about it differently.

I quoted him directly. People can decide on their own. 

Biting tongues is what left RV in power for 15 F'n years!

#Neveragain!!!!!1!1!!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 9

2 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

I'm sure it would.

I know it would. 

Nanananabooboo. 

You see, unlike some people on here, I'm not afraid to have frank, in person conversations with those I disagree. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 8

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Because you know who I have spoken to? Lol.

It would surprise you if you actually had this information. 

I quoted him directly. People can decide on their own. 

Biting tongues is what left RV in power for 15 F'n years!

#Neveragain!!!!!1!1!!!!

you are now flat-out lying about quoting me directly.  I never said I didn't care about winning.  I do like the access, but never chose that over winning....are they mutually exclusive?  I have always supported this program.  I noted that I knew RV, I liked RV, but felt it was time for him to move on......check all of my posts.  YOU sir, are lying with your statement.  Just to manipulate discussions to meet you agenda.....  Simple as that....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Just now, MeanGreen_MBA said:

you are now flat-out lying about quoting me directly.  I never said I didn't care about winning.  I do like the access, but never chose that over winning....are they mutually exclusive?  I have always supported this program.  I noted that I knew RV, I liked RV, but felt it was time for him to move on......check all of my posts.  YOU sir, are lying with your statement.  Just to manipulate discussions to meet you agenda.....  Simple as that....

Try re-reading the thread. 

I quote you word for word. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 7

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Try re-reading the thread. 

I quote you word for word. 

I said I wished we had a winning team, but I am not going to let our current situation make me miserable.  I do enjoy the social aspect of the Club level......how are those 2 statements the equivalent of me wanting to have a good time at the games tantamount to not caring if we have a successful team?  MANIPULATION AS IT'S HIGHEST LEVEL HERE....  You keep touting how RV was a master manipulator....he has nothing on you my friend........

Sept. 3rd

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I know it would. 

Nanananabooboo. 

You see, unlike some people on here, I'm not afraid to have frank, in person conversations with those I disagree. 

Neither am I.  We have at least that one thing in common.  Though unlike some on here I can appreciate the fans we have instead of casting aspersions towards their perceived motivations.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

When it comes to the 90 hater, best option is the ignore bottom! You will enjoy the blog a lot more !

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

37 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I said I wished we had a winning team, but I am not going to let our current situation make me miserable

I think that is the difference between two types of fan.  

Some people can come up to Apogee, drink with their friends in the parking lot,  maybe rub elbows with the VVIP's, get some cotton candy during the game, talk to the people around their seats, wish we won, but not be miserable if we lose.

That is not how some of us are wired.  I don't care if I meet my long lost twin brother at the tailgate, get a backrub from Pres Smatty while eating pre-game prime rib, sit next to Elvis, and then have the hottest girl on the dance team send me her snapchat address.  If we then lose I am going to be miserable.  

Yes, I do feel good about donating to athlete scholarships, but I do that for other colleges at the University as well.  The football games are to win or lose.  If we lose, there is nothing to be happy about.   Win.  That is what I want to go see, winning.  

I am not saying my way is superior.  I probably would enjoy things a lot more if I could not care about winning.  But that isn't going to change, I hated losing when I played T-Ball, and it's never changed.  

You just have to realize that some people are NEVER going to be able to enjoy anything related to NT football if we consistently get our asses handed to us on the field, which has been more or less the rule for the last ten years, with one season of teasing exception.   Like I said about coach Mac, SL could walk onto the field at half time, point directly at me and call me a blithering idiot over the PA,  and I would be just fine with it if he got us a bowl bid 3 out of 4 years.   If he could get us to a CFB playoff game he could even insult my mother, she hates losing too.  

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I think that is the difference between two types of fan.  

Some people can come up to Apogee, drink with their friends in the parking lot,  maybe rub elbows with the VVIP's, get some cotton candy during the game, talk to the people around their seats, wish we won, but not be miserable if we lose.

That is not how some of us are wired.  I don't care if I meet my long lost twin brother at the tailgate, get a backrub from Pres Smatty while eating pre-game prime rib, sit next to Elvis, and then have the hottest girl on the dance team send me her snapchat address.  If we then lose I am going to be miserable.  

Yes, I do feel good about donating to athlete scholarships, but I do that for other colleges at the University as well.  The football games are to win or lose.  If we lose, there is nothing to be happy about.   Win.  That is what I want to go see, winning.  

I am not saying my way is superior.  I probably would enjoy things a lot more if I could not care about winning.  But that isn't going to change, I hated losing when I played T-Ball, and it's never changed.  

You just have to realize that some people are NEVER going to be able to enjoy anything related to NT football if we consistently get our asses handed to us on the field, which has been more or less the rule for the last ten years, with one season of teasing exception.   Like I said about coach Mac, SL could walk onto the field at half time, point directly at me and call me a blithering idiot over the PA,  and I would be just fine with it if he got us a bowl bid 3 out of 4 years.   If he could get us to a CFB playoff game he could even insult my mother, she hates losing too.  

that is fine...a good solid attitude....but I don't see you criticizing everybody that does not agree with your approach to winning.  I hope we win every game we play....football, basketball, tennis, soccer, softball, swimming.  Not a fan of losing myself.....  Is it a win that our teams are succeeding in academics?  That is the reason these kids are here to begin with.  I am on the Dean's Advisory Board for the College of Business, and part of our goal is to provide suggestions to the college on how to better prepare our kids for success after college.  That is winning as well.  My plate is too full to criticize the program, I would rather support those who are doing the work, and/or making changes for the programs to be successful.

I want to thank you for supporting UNT 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3