DRC: Apogee five years later Part II (Fans reflect on seat investments 5 years later)

Brett Vito

8 hours ago, UNT90 said:

So UNT needs more people who care more about access to the AD and the head coach than winning?

Hardly.

We will know we are a successful program the day when UNT90 can't afford the contribution level to maintain his Club Seats.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

To anyone who thought the stadium would 'vault the program forward', I take this fine opportunity to say 'I told you so.'  What we needed much more was a major level up in coaching.  Failure to direct the necessary funds to that is why there is no one in whatever stadium the Mean Green plays in.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Find a quote other than today where I swore just once. 90 has an agenda of criticizing and attacking anybody who disagrees with him. He attacked my comment which was supporting the program in a warped angle to further his agenda. I believe we all want a winning program, but if you don't follow lock-step with his hate speech, he attacks you as well. Cannot back anything up he said about what my goals and desires are for this team. For that, I will speak up. 

I didn't even know who you were until you cussed at me on this thread. I don't agree with your comments and think people who want access more than victories are a problem with this program and the reason we got RV for 15 freaking years. 

And I could give a crap if you like it or not. 

Grow up. This is a public forum where people disagree. If you can't take criticism, don't go on record with a reporter. 

57 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

We will know we are a successful program the day when UNT90 can't afford the contribution level to maintain his Club Seats.

Oddly correct.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

31 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I didn't even know who you were until you cussed at me on this thread. I don't agree with your comments and think people who want access more than victories are a problem with this program and the reason we got RV for 15 freaking years. 

And I could give a crap if you like it or not. 

Grow up. This is a public forum where people disagree. If you can't take criticism, don't go on record with a reporter. 

Oddly correct.

Show me where I said anything about wanting access more than winning. You make things up to fit your agenda....manipulation on your part. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

8 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Show me where I said anything about wanting access more than winning. You make things up to fit your agenda....manipulation on your part. 

Well, you say nothing about winning in your quote and instead talk about access and how you prefer it over Alabama (which is a winning program).

Sometimes what you don't say speaks Volumes. 

"I wish we had a winning team, but I'm not one of those people that get down about it. I enjoy the social aspect of the club section." 

Thats the most you say about winning in your entire comments before going on to talk about how you enjoy being treated special. 

Well, I care about winning, and think that those that "don't get down about it" don't really care about it and are a problem in this fan base, especially when they give statements indicating they care more about special treatment than winning football games.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, eppy4life said:

UNT90, got to give it to you.  The work you've done on this site to create such hatred has worked.  

Change is hard.

People who throw out terms as you just did are just bitter relics of times soon to be passed by. There is (hopefully) a new era coming to UNT. An era where UNT isn't the butt of every athletic joke among Texas High School Coaches. An era where UNT isn't the worst athletic department in America.

Hop on board.

Or don't.

I really don't care. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

8 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Change is hard.

People who throw out terms as you just did are just bitter relics of times soon to be passed by. There is (hopefully) a new era coming to UNT. An era where UNT isn't the butt of every athletic joke among Texas High School Coaches. An era where UNT isn't the worst athletic department in America.

Hop on board.

Or don't.

I really don't care. 

Too bad you carry all that anger from getting cut from every teams you tried out for....it's what you don't say, as you say. Life is actually a pretty good ride if you let it....

30 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Well, you say nothing about winning in your quote and instead talk about access and how you prefer it over Alabama (which is a winning program).

Sometimes what you don't say speaks Volumes. 

"I wish we had a winning team, but I'm not one of those people that get down about it. I enjoy the social aspect of the club section." 

Thats the most you say about winning in your entire comments before going on to talk about how you enjoy being treated special. 

Well, I care about winning, and think that those that "don't get down about it" don't really care about it and are a problem in this fan base, especially when they give statements indicating they care more about special treatment than winning football games.

Part of the fan experience you will never know with the bad attitude....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 7

5 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Too bad you carry all that anger from getting cut from every teams you tried out for....it's what you don't say, as you say. Life is actually a pretty good ride if you let it....

Part of the fan experience you will never know with the bad attitude....

You are really the one with the hatred, and have been since you signed up on here.

I hope at some point you care about UNT victories.

Till then? Well... Roll Tide.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4

11 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

I'm famous, I was quoted in the Denton Record Chronicle. On a side note, it's probably a good thing he didn't put my exact words in the paper. Cussing/ bashing the Athletic Department, Athletic Director, Dan McCarney and Mean Green Club wouldn't be the best press. 

You did good.

Im also glad to hear from Ms. Valchar.  She's a good one.

Rick

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Change is hard.

Hop on board.

Or don't.

I really don't care. 

image.png

30 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

You are really the one with the hatred, and have been since you signed up on here.

I hope at some point you care about UNT victories.

Till then? Well... Roll Tide.

I get your jealous....but the hate will give you a stroke or something. Never being invited to play the reindeer games can be tough on a boy.

you have no idea of Roll Tide

image.png

• Downvote 7

11 hours ago, UNT90 said:

So UNT needs more people who care more about access to the AD and the head coach than winning?

Hardly.

I did not interpret King's statements that way.

Also, virtual hat tip to Gladys Valchar.  That's some serious loyalty to the Green and White.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

image.png

I get your jealous....but the hate will give you a stroke or something. Never being invited to play the reindeer games can be tough on a boy.

you have no idea of Roll Tide

image.png

Can you go one post without an insult? 

Lets try it.

Roll Tide.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

10 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

I continue to be baffled about some members of this fan base obsession with "access" to the AD and coaches.

Who gives a crap if you can't get within 100 feet of Nick Saban, he wins football games.

You met Seth and Harrell, woop-dee-freakin'-do. I don't want their handshakes, I want them to win some damn football games.

Absolutely agree.  

Rick

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, GRN-WHT said:

I continue to be baffled about some members of this fan base obsession with "access" to the AD and coaches.

Who gives a crap if you can't get within 100 feet of Nick Saban, he wins football games.

You met Seth and Harrell, woop-dee-freakin'-do. I don't want their handshakes, I want them to win some damn football games.

As if we can afford to be picky about reasons people choose to be North Texas fans.  If y'all will read the article, you'll see that we have half as many contributors to the MG Club as lowly Texas-San Antonio has to their comparable booster organization.  We averaged less than 14,000 in attendance last year.  I don't care if some choose to be fans because they like the access.  I don't care if some choose to be fans because the breeze at the tip of the Wing Zone makes them feel funny.  If the entire Denton Ladies' Auxiliary buys club seats because they think Graham Harrell has a cute tushie, who are we to turn them down?  While I'd expect my wants as a Mean Green fan are much more in line with yours, anyone who will be a North Texas fan right now is a good fan, as far as I'm concerned.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

In 2015, UNT sold 3,900 season tickets and had 1,124 members in its Mean Green Club, a booster organization that helps fund the program.

A study published by Houston this summer listed the booster club membership for every school that competes on the Football Bowl Subdivision level in Texas with the exception of Texas A&M and UTEP. UNT ranked last in that study, trailing Texas-San Antonio (2,203) and SMU (3,541) by significant margins.

Those totals show why it is so important for UNT to hang onto donors like King — and find new fans to add to the fold — during a tough time for the program.

The school is looking for a new athletic director after Rick Villarreal stepped down this summer. UNT has enjoyed only one winning season in the past 11 years, which presents a challenge for John Nitardy.

Nitardy runs the Mean Green Club and said he sees some positive signs despite the program’s struggles. Last year, the club had its highest membership since 2011. UNT officials hope to have more than 1,500 members this year.

“It’s going well,” Nitardy said. “But are we where we want to be? No.

“My focus since I got here a little over two years ago is increasing the number of members. Obviously, we want to raise more money, and eventually we will, but we need more people involved.”

I copied this from Vito's article. This number is embarrassing. We had 1,124 MGC members?? So with the mandatory MGC membership for club seats (and I assume suites upstairs)  we sold what MAYBE 700 MGC memberships?? Why is Nitardy being paid by our university? That's pathetic.  If I underperformed that bad I'd be fired in a heart beat. 

Hopefully he won't be for long. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

The reasons your access comment struck a nerve are: (i) the reason you get access are because the program is small time, thus it is taken to mean that you want the program to remain small time; and (ii) you juxtaposed it with Alabama  which (a) can only be taken as bragging, and (b) tells everyone you have essentially jumped ship when it comes to caring about success of a program. There were no positive reasons to mention (ii), so you should not be surprised that it makes some of us sick. I am so tired of bandwagon fans like all the Steelers fans all over the place who have never been to Pittsburgh for example. That's the kind of thing you're doing. 

For people who invested in the stadium Club level, I hope you enjoy your hobnobbing. Pandering to the few of you is what has the program in the toilet. No doubt you find that sentiment ironic given your support. The university thinking such few would dig it out is one of the fatal errors they made. 
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

12 minutes ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

The reasons your access comment struck a nerve are: (i) the reason you get access are because the program is small time, thus it is taken to mean that you want the program to remain small time; and (ii) you juxtaposed it with Alabama  which (a) can only be taken as bragging, and (b) tells everyone you have essentially jumped ship when it comes to caring about success of a program. There were no positive reasons to mention (ii), so you should not be surprised that it makes some of us sick. I am so tired of bandwagon fans like all the Steelers fans all over the place who have never been to Pittsburgh for example. That's the kind of thing you're doing. 

For people who invested in the stadium Club level, I hope you enjoy your hobnobbing. Pandering to the few of you is what has the program in the toilet. No doubt you find that sentiment ironic given your support. The university thinking such few would dig it out is one of the fatal errors they made. 

??

Having people that only cared about access is what sank this program in the Villarreal era.

Amazing some don't get this. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 8

24 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

As if we can afford to be picky about reasons people choose to be North Texas fans.  If y'all will read the article, you'll see that we have half as many contributors to the MG Club as lowly Texas-San Antonio has to their comparable booster organization.  We averaged less than 14,000 in attendance last year.  I don't care if some choose to be fans because they like the access.  I don't care if some choose to be fans because the breeze at the tip of the Wing Zone makes them feel funny.  If the entire Denton Ladies' Auxiliary buys club seats because they think Graham Harrell has a cute tushie, who are we to turn them down?  While I'd expect my wants as a Mean Green fan are much more in line with yours, anyone who will be a North Texas fan right now is a good fan, as far as I'm concerned.

Don't you come in here making sense.  Take that elsewhere, this is the UNT90 board. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

That is fine point until you deal with the reality that ticket buyers who is not reasonably invested into success of the program aren't sitting in their seats for even 5 of the 6 homes game we get a year.  So that 14,000 is inflated.  Even if we averaged 18,000 to 20,000 paid for tickets a game and had less than 10,000 in actual attendance that would still be a huge problem.  You don't change the perception of a program with a balance sheet.  Don't agree?  What if Seth get it really going and we get a Holiday Bowl bid (I know conference bowl agreements make this an impossibility now but bare with me)  If we could guarantee that UNT fans would sellout our allotment "Holiday Bowl" tickets but only half or less of our fans would actually show up the Holiday Bowl organizers would incompetent if they weren't looking for a replacement for us.  You don't impress recruits, students, or anyone with a good team in a half empty stadium no matter how many tickets you sold.  So yes the Graham Harrell fan club is welcome but if you think they are show up at a game in November that is damp, windy with temperatures in the 40s you are dreaming.  They will find other things to do cause it doesn't mean much to them.

NOTE: I count ACTUAL attendance as being in the stadium from the midpoint of the first quarter to at least 2 minutes into the 4th quarter of a game that is in doubt.  I have been attending games since Darrell Dickey days and in my experience our ACTUAL attendance figure I estimate is right at 10,000.  And If is an average bad season it is lower than 10,000.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1