HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) — Penn State coach Joe Paterno was told by a teen boy in 1976 that assistant coach Jerry Sandusky had molested him in the shower but responded that he didn't want to hear about it and had "a football season to worry about," according to court documents unsealed Tuesday.

The man identified as John Doe 150 said in 2014 that other boys in a shower heard him yell that Sandusky had just touched him sexually. The man said he told several adults about it, then sought out Paterno.

"Is it accurate that Coach Paterno quickly said to you, I don't want to hear about any of that kind of stuff, I have a football season to worry about?" a lawyer for Penn State's insurance carrier asked the man. "Specifically, yes," the man replied.

"I was shocked, disappointed, offended, I was insulted," John Doe 150 testified. "I said, is that all you're going to do? You're not going to do anything else?"

Yet the people of Happy Valley and a shit ton of Penn St alumni want their hero's statute put back in place. 

If Paterno had been coaching at UT, he might have been charged as a party to a whole bunch of sexual assaults. That's right, be charged for sexual assault because of aiding Sandusky and failing in his duty to stop the assaults. 

And he would have deserved every day in prison that he got. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

I wonder how many players he paid. If your are willing to overlook the sexual abuse of multiple children for your football team, self-justification for doing what everyone else is doing (paying players) probably came quite easy.

And he had the reputation of being clean to hide behind.  

A disappointment as a human. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

On July 13, 2016 at 4:58 PM, UNT90 said:

I wonder how many players he paid. If your are willing to overlook the sexual abuse of multiple children for your football team, self-justification for doing what everyone else is doing (paying players) probably came quite easy.

And he had the reputation of being clean to hide behind.  

A disappointment as a human. 

I doubt he paid any players. With as much dirt that has come out surely allegations of paying players would have come to light as well.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

I doubt he paid any players. With as much dirt that has come out surely allegations of paying players would have come to light as well.

I doubt it. Even knowing what we know now about Paterno, people still view him as otherwise clean and just can't get past their own preconceived idea of Joe Paterno.   The NCAA is made up of people. If no one looks, nothing will be found. 

No one is looking.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

• 4 weeks later...

I find this whole Penn State very disgusting and J.Paterno also ...  he had to know .. however at the end in an interview I saw of him ... he appeared to be in near  "LALA"  land... He seemed to be coach in name only ... he seemed rather soft in the head..... but earlier he likely knew and did nothing...  melt the statue down....Why would they want that around as as reminder of what he really was....  He was way past "win at any cost" ..... it was criminal acts  involving kids and they  were harmed....   He was a sorry excuse for a man.... 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

I find this whole Penn State very disgusting and J.Paterno also ...  he had to know .. however at the end in an interview I saw of him ... he appeared to be in near  "LALA"  land... He seemed to be coach in name only ... he seemed rather soft in the head..... but earlier he likely knew and did nothing...  melt the statue down....Why would they want that around as as reminder of what he really was....  He was way past "win at any cost" ..... it was criminal acts  involving kids and they  were harmed....   He was a sorry excuse for a man.... 

Yes but what is sadder is they basically got away with it.  Sandusky took the fall and the NCAA had to step down on their penalties because they went beyond their scope of punishment in the eyes of the law.  That program will be back and it will all be forgotten in time.  Money talks.