Streaming the Football Games

wizade

I'm going to cut the cord on cable and just use Internet + Sony Vue for all my TV needs (plus Prime and Netflix) ... I noticed some of the games this year are on strange channels like ASN and CBS sports which I don't think are on Vue. 

There used to be a mean green premium service that streamed the games for like $10/month .. does anyone know what the deal is with this?  I just spent 10 minutes looking and I can't find any information on where it is, the login page, rates, etc.  

I found a link in a thread here on this forum : http://www.meangreensports.com/collegesportslive/?media=528533   ... Is this CBSi service the replacement? 

Are all of the games streamed online .. or do we have to get them via strange TV channels?  (only interested in the 12 football games)

thanks!

1 hour ago, wizade said:

Are all of the games streamed online .. or do we have to get them via strange TV channels?  (only interested in the 12 football games)

thanks!

Hm. Conference USA (conferenceusa.com) has a subscription service so you can watch this. It looks like they're revamping their site (or I did a poor job searching) so I couldn't grab the link for live games and old videos.

Also, some folks around here have talked about SlingTV with the sports add-on in another thread. I am considering this as well. (T-Mobile customers get a small discount, apparently).

Edited by Aldo

34 minutes ago, wizade said:

Did that mean green premium streaming service get shelved ?

That service I think is what I am talking about as well. Each school has/had one.

It was through CUSA, using CBS Sports Interactive, so it depends on that contract I guess. I could be misinformed, maybe @VideoEagle can provide better insight.

All schools will get a new streaming page inserted into to existing websites, until schools that are in contract with CBS are able to fully switch over. The conference has changed preferred website partners and are currently building their site. Mean Green sports streaming sites subscription will no longer go through CBS interactive, but will be streamed to the school page if the games aren't on linear tv. Those that have purchased or have purchased subs in the past should hav been notified by cbs that their subscriptions were cancelled. As I understand it, you will be able to buy one subscription, let's say through the AD website and use it on any conference school's website. However, if the team is away and the host schools has the ability to stream, the game will automatically populate on the North Texas page and the CUSA TV page. Save for anything on espn3, which for this year will only be 10 conference game which are chosen by the conference. All details and legal are still being worked out that's why nothing has been sent out yet.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, filmerj said:

All schools will get a new streaming page inserted into to existing websites, until schools that are in contract with CBS are able to fully switch over. The conference has changed preferred website partners and are currently building their site. Mean Green sports streaming sites subscription will no longer go through CBS interactive, but will be streamed to the school page if the games aren't on linear tv. Those that have purchased or have purchased subs in the past should hav been notified by cbs that their subscriptions were cancelled. As I understand it, you will be able to buy one subscription, let's say through the AD website and use it on any conference school's website. However, if the team is away and the host schools has the ability to stream, the game will automatically populate on the North Texas page and the CUSA TV page. Save for anything on espn3, which for this year will only be 10 conference game which are chosen by the conference. All details and legal are still being worked out that's why nothing has been sent out yet.

Am I following this correctly?  Does this suggest that a subscription gets me streaming of every CUSA game?  Home, away, Western Kentucky to Old Dominion?  

2 hours ago, filmerj said:

@oldguystudent That's what I understand. I would add, that I I also understand that where you sign up matters to schools, as they will get a bigger piece of the cut if you sign up through the school's page.

I really like that. The schools will be able to go to ESPN et al in two years and give specific number of people willing to plunk down actual cash to watch their games. I think they have a formula to get if X are willing to pay $y to specifically watch their school, the z people are likely to want to watch as part of a cable/satellite package. It's FAR better to work from an actual number, even if it's smaller, than some wild ass guess based on total former students as a percentage of an ADI. 

Plus, it gives the schools something to work from should they want to continue their own streaming service. 

I think G5 conferences would be smart to put together their own services, yes subcontracted but still primarily controlled be the conferences. 

And the system provided by CBS Interactive was far below what could be done! 

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

I really like that. The schools will be able to go to ESPN et al in two years and give specific number of people willing to plunk down actual cash to watch their games. I think they have a formula to get if X are willing to pay $y to specifically watch their school, the z people are likely to want to watch as part of a cable/satellite package. It's FAR better to work from an actual number, even if it's smaller, than some wild ass guess based on total former students as a percentage of an ADI. 

Plus, it gives the schools something to work from should they want to continue their own streaming service. 

I think G5 conferences would be smart to put together their own services, yes subcontracted but still primarily controlled be the conferences. 

And the system provided by CBS Interactive was far below what could be done! 

I should be clear, the schools that are able to get on ESPN 3 will get a small cut from ESPN, those game will not be available on CUSA TV as far as I know. That has yet to be worked out, since ESPN 3 requires you are subscribed through them. The new streaming service web page will be handled by the same folks who handle TExas, OU and many others.

Edited by filmerj