Not really meant to be insane.  Just kind of stunned to learn of it.  I guess the debate will be: continue gunfight against person who will not surrender, and in this case said he has explosives, versus send in the bomb robot. 

I'm of the mind that the only reason they used it is that he said he had planted bombs and they, perhaps, weren't sure whether he had one on him at that moment.  We'll find out sooner or later. 

I can't really wrap my mind around this actually becoming a regular thing, though.

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Not really meant to be insane.  Just kind of stunned to learn of it.  I guess the debate will be: continue gunfight against person who will not surrender, and in this case said he has explosives, versus send in the bomb robot. 

I'm of the mind that the only reason they used it is that he said he had planted bombs and they, perhaps, weren't sure whether he had one on him at that moment.  We'll find out sooner or later. 

I can't really wrap my mind around this actually becoming a regular thing, though.

In some commentary I have watched, the primary reason to use the robot was in case the rat bastard had booby-trapped the area where he was holed up. They didn't want to risk more lives.

2 minutes ago, EagleMBA said:

In some commentary I have watched, the primary reason to use the robot was in case the rat bastard had booby-trapped the area where he was holed up. They didn't want to risk more lives.

Ah...haven't been able to watch the news or listen to the radio today.  Kind of figured it was something along those lines.  Did seem kind of extreme to kill a guy you already had surrounded and pinned down with gunfire.  Makes sense that they'd be trying to see whether his bomb threat was real.

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Ah...haven't been able to watch the news or listen to the radio today.  Kind of figured it was something along those lines.  Did seem kind of extreme to kill a guy you already had surrounded and pinned down with gunfire.  Makes sense that they'd be trying to see whether his bomb threat was real.

Reportedly, before negotiations were suspended he also threatened to kill himself and detonate some explosives in the process. The bomb (IED) threats may turn out to be a bluff but prudence was warranted. This whole thing was very well planned and organized; this guy had served a tour in Afghanistan. My opinion is that this was too effective to be carried out by one guy and so there is a "cell" out there.

2 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

Reportedly, before negotiations were suspended he also threatened to kill himself and detonate some explosives in the process. The bomb (IED) threats may turn out to be a bluff but prudence was warranted. This whole thing was very well planned and organized; this guy had served a tour in Afghanistan. My opinion is that this was too effective to be carried out by one guy and so there is a "cell" out there.

Well, there are three other suspects in custody, so you are probably right.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Rudy said:

DPD and SWAT did an outstanding job of dealing with this guy.  He wasn't going to let them come anywhere near him without taking more lives.

I need to buy those guys a round.

Amen! I am going to make a point of seeking out Emmitt on September 3 and delivering a cold Shiner.