Dave Campbell's Texas Football 2016: UNT worst in Texas

in cusa if we get decent qb play we will do well.  We are not in a super conference.  We had a terrible QBS last year.  If we get decent qb play 3-4 wins is possible.  I don't see us getting five or six but I hope I am proved wrong.  I always hope for the best with this team. 

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 2

Until I hear about our scholarship situation being better (maybe I'm overreacting), I think we will be hard-pressed to win more than 2 games.

I want to believe in this system (as long as we don't dismiss Defense) and think so highly of Litrell, but none of these x-and-os can overcome a lack of Jimmie-and-Joes.

GMG

• Upvote 3

On July 9, 2016 at 1:21 PM, greenminer said:

Until I hear about our scholarship situation being better (maybe I'm overreacting), I think we will be hard-pressed to win more than 2 games.

I want to believe in this system (as long as we don't dismiss Defense) and think so highly of Litrell, but none of these x-and-os can overcome a lack of Jimmie-and-Joes.

GMG

This is exactly what I think, too...just don't see how this is going to get better until Littrell can get in scholarship players here that fit his system. This year is a pure throw away on the field--we might not even get two wins. Most media outlets don't think we will. We are considered one of the three worst teams in FBS for a reason. McCarney and company left us with no talent...the hole we are in is at least double what Dodge and Dickey left is in, combined...

2016 is all about wins in the recruiting battles.

2017 is where we look to compete with other G5 teams.

2018 is where we hope to compete for a bowl berth and division championship. 

2019 is Littrell's make it or break it Year if we haven gone bowling yet...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I expected us to be near the bottom since we are coming from a 1-11 record with a new coach and a new quarterback.  Prognosticators are not going to dig very deep reviewing one and two win teams.

I still believe that this coaching staff is going to be better than advertised and the talent on board is underrated and late signees were done after the preview articles went to press.  I believe that Coach Littrell said that the talent level was better than people think and that poor performance last year was more due to lack of motivation and effort.

My instinct and optimism tell me that this is a four win team with the capacity to even be bowl eligible if the coaching staff is able to get new schemes to gel.  The enthusiasm of the new recruits is refreshing.  If all new JUCO recruits show up and play to near their potential we could be the team with the biggest turnaround.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

I expected us to be near the bottom since we are coming from a 1-11 record with a new coach and a new quarterback.  Prognosticators are not going to dig very deep reviewing one and two win teams.

I still believe that this coaching staff is going to be better than advertised and the talent on board is underrated and late signees were done after the preview articles went to press.  I believe that Coach Littrell said that the talent level was better than people think and that poor performance last year was more due to lack of motivation and effort.

My instinct and optimism tell me that this is a four win team with the capacity to even be bowl eligible if the coaching staff is able to get new schemes to gel.  The enthusiasm of the new recruits is refreshing.  If all new JUCO recruits show up and play to near their potential we could be the team with the biggest turnaround.

I am okay with this optimism.

12 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I am okay with this optimism.

So am I. Because this optimism is based on years of watching a lot of North Texas football, both very good and very bad. I also agree with the logical part of his analysis. That being that no publication is going to dig very deep on a 1-11 team, and unless you've gone to the actual practices, you really don't know what this team's true potential is. And even if you have gone to the spring practices and spring game, the new influx of players (hopefully that also means talent) can change the dynamics very noticeably..........hopefully in the upward direction.

Now, it's time for the game day atmosphere to take on a different look/energy. These coaches and players can't do this all by themselves. If we're not excited and committed, then why should they be? I'm pretty tired/sick of seeing players constantly encouraging the fans to raise their noise level/participation. 

THAT'S NOT THEIR JOB!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1