Abner Haynes Sculpture

• Harry featured this topic
1 hour ago, Side Show Joe said:

This is the clay model of the Haynes bust. Like I said in the Greene thread, it is about 80% finished. I still have to sculpt the jersey and pads, and clean up the rough areas in the face and hair. I really hope the next AD wants to finish this project. I know Abner isn't in the best of health. I think he would enjoy returning to Denton to be honored.

P1060813.JPG

For comparison, here is Abner's Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Fame bust.

haynes_abner.jpg

Happy 4th of July everyone.

YES!!! let's do this 

• Upvote 2

• 3 years later...
22 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Just curious, but what would that cost to finish out in bronze?

I was going to ask the same question.  Side Show Joe, can you give us an estimate on the finished product?  And where would the AD place this bronze bust of Abner?  Athletic Center?

Regardless, Abner should be honored for what he did in the advancement of black athletics at UNT.  And set the record straight once and for all.  It was not the black player from smu that was the first in Texas.

I had an email argument with Bob West of the Port Arthur news.  His reasoning was that smu was "major college football" at the time.  And I called bullshit on that remark!!!!

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

I was going to ask the same question.  Side Show Joe, can you give us an estimate on the finished product?  And where would the AD place this bronze bust of Abner?  Athletic Center?

Regardless, Abner should be honored for what he did in the advancement of black athletics at UNT.  And set the record straight once and for all.  It was not the black player from smu that was the first in Texas.

I had an email argument with Bob West of the Port Arthur news.  His reasoning was that smu was "major college football" at the time.  And I called bullshit on that remark!!!!

I was PMing Lifer, when I saw you both had the same question.

I've been fortunate over the past few years, and now earn between $10 to $12K for a bronze bust like this. Of course I love UNT and would complete it for much less. Provided COVID-19 doesn't interfere with the operations at the foundry, I could have the bronze bust with a nice green marble base done within 5 months, at a cost of $5,000.

As for where a Haynes bust could be placed... I'd place it in the recruiting lounge at the IPF. Wren has the matching Joe Greene bust I finished did back in 2013 (a photo of the Greene bust is in another thread). I think the two would look nice in that space.

I could also make a heroic size action pose similar to the Joe Greene, but it would be more expensive. Not as expensive as Brian Hanlon, but it would still cost a good chunk of change. I think such a statue would look great at the student entrance. Here are the best poses for such a statue. It's a long off season, so pick your favorite pose. 1,2, or 3?

haynessculpt3.jpg

haynessculpt1.jpg

haynessculpt2.jpg

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2

On 4/23/2020 at 12:13 PM, Side Show Joe said:

I know this isn't the time for the athletic department to be spending money, but the way this virus disproportionately effects our older population really got me to thinking about Abner Haynes. Wren did a great job of getting a quality sculptor to honor Joe Greene. I really hope once we get past COVID-19, Haynes will also get his due.

I've had this sculpture finished for the last 4 years, and I see it every time I go into my studio to work. If Wren wants to go another direction, that fine. I just hope UNT gets to honor Haynes, like we did Joe Greene.

IMG_0310 - Copy.jpg

855D678B-522C-4A00-AC69-6B7F14FA9FEA.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...

This para in an ESPN article on UT got me thinking about this thread. I wonder if Black students on our campus know the Abner Haynes story. It seems like the AD could put out a little info to show that NT was the first in Texas. At the risk of sounding opportunistic, this might be the right time for a hard push to get Haynes properly honored on campus. Obviously we don’t have UT money to just snap fingers and pay for a statue, but if the AD was willing to put some weight behind the effort we could raise the money. At the least we could get this bust completed and mounted. Would look great at the stadium, in the Athletic Center or even in the Union. 

—————————

Jamail said the only time frame he had in mind was "pretty quick." One month and one day after the student-athletes made their requests, the university announced Monday several initiatives to address its racist history, including renaming a campus building, erecting statues of the first Black student and the first Black football letterman, and committing millions in athletic revenue to programs for minority students.