Memo To Our New Athletic Director

DeepGreen

What other G5s get that the last AD had no clue about (ok, one of the things) or was too lazy to employee is that you can find the right P5, tell them you are only interested in a one and one, and get it done.

The last guy just wanted to whore this program to make HIS job easier. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

5 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Unbelievable how our fanbase was gladly sold SMU and Army as being premier OOC opponents to bring to Apogee...when both were easily hosted by us at Fouts...

SMH

It's like small children. They only know what they are taught by their parents. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

27 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Unbelievable how our fanbase was gladly sold SMU and Army as being premier OOC opponents to bring to Apogee...when both were easily hosted by us at Fouts...

SMH

Question:  From an opposing school's standpoint, is Apogee really materially more of an attraction to play UNT than Fouts?   Hear me out.  I always hear the big benefit for OOC visits is for their recruiting, which the move across the street doesn't impact.  Apogee only holds 350 more people than Fouts did, which isn't significant.  Sure the facilities are much nicer, but I'd think that would be lower down on the pro/con list of scheduling a game with us.  If we were selling out Apogee regularly, the additional in-person exposure might be a draw, but you could have said the same when we were at Fouts.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Not regularly getting P5 opponents at Apogee is somewhat understandable but NOT getting premier G5 opponents in lieu of those P5 opponents is NOT.  Colorao State, Fresno State, Boise State, San Diego State, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston,  and Tulsa - and even if you are really desperate distant outpost like UConn, Buffalo, and Hawaii would be better than what they have be offering recently

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Question:  From an opposing school's standpoint, is Apogee really materially more of an attraction to play UNT than Fouts?   Hear me out.  I always hear the big benefit for OOC visits is for their recruiting, which the move across the street doesn't impact.  Apogee only holds 350 more people than Fouts did, which isn't significant.  Sure the facilities are much nicer, but I'd think that would be lower down on the pro/con list of scheduling a game with us.  If we were selling out Apogee regularly, the additional in-person exposure might be a draw, but you could have said the same when we were at Fouts.  

Is it more of an attraction than the Texas St. Stadium? Because they have hosted Tech and Arizona St with UT a mere 30 minutes away (sound familiar?)

Getting it done. That hasn't been done around UNT for the better part of a decade. There is a culture of laziness and doing the minimum at UNT. At doing what is best for you personally,not what's best for the AD.,

I'm more convinced than ever that a clean sweep needs to happen inside the AD if UNT makes the right hire.

Then again, if they make the right hire, that hire will see this inside 2 months. 

Also becoming more evident is that this is an all or nothing proposition for Dickenson. Wanna run your good buddy out front to campaign hard for you? That's fine, but don't think this will go unnoticed by the new AD, who will absolutely, and should, replace Dickenson when hired. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 8

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Stebo comments about Fouts & the Baylor game - 09/19/2008

God, where do you start to explain the power at Fouts. Remember the Baylor game? You know - the one we won? Well the power was so bad that their headsets weren't even working on the sidelines. At halftime, the Baylor team had NO power in their locker room. None. It simply went out and there was nothing that could be done to fix it. These basic "amenities" - you know, running water, electricity... the really FANCY stuff... and our lack of them has been what has kept teams like TCU, Houston, and Baylor from wanting to return to Fouts. You don't think that it is the stadium size that keeps them away do you? That is a really bad myth. It is because Fouts is a dump underneath those stands. The outside isn't half bad as long as you have binoculars. The infrstructure is just absolutely terrible. A new stadium will get all sorts of schools "back" to Denton, they want a winnable game just as much as we want the crowd. Teams like Tulsa have had their own stadium problems so they are a little more understanding.

Maybe the new AD can make it so.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

My Lord it's like how they seem to announce 2-4 Super Bowls every year now.

I know we want our new guy to schedule us some big names at Apogee, which I am a big fan of, too. But unless SMU cancels our series early, the next open slots we have for future nonconference games is 2022. Is there any damage to pull out of these games against Toilet Bowl State and Nose Hair College?

• Upvote 2

On July 3, 2016 at 7:19 PM, untjim1995 said:

SMH

No surprise.  Several of us have been bringing up how horrible the effort in scheduling has been for years, citing example after example of other schools getting it done.  Yet time after time we'll still have the same enabling, spineless rubes dismissing it as worthless complaining and refusing to demand accountability from anyone up there.  

Rick 

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

4 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

No surprise.  Several of us have been bringing up how horrible the effort in scheduling has been for years, citing example after example of other schools getting it done.  Yet time after time we'll still have the same enabling, spineless rubes dismissing it as worthless complaining and refusing to demand accountability from anyone up there.  

Rick 

Yep, just the go along to get along crowd that will make excuses for anything. Some have started to come around, others appear to have disappeared with Rick Villarreal, and still others make excuses in the face of irrefutable evidence that all of UNT's peers are scheduling better than UNT.

Its the reason a terrible AD was allowed to keep his job for 15 years. There is dysfunction in all aspects of this program, including the fanbase. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

On July 5, 2016 at 6:56 AM, UNT90 said:

Yep, just the go along to get along crowd that will make excuses for anything. Some have started to come around, others appear to have disappeared with Rick Villarreal, and still others make excuses in the face of irrefutable evidence that all of UNT's peers are scheduling better than UNT.

Its the reason a terrible AD was allowed to keep his job for 15 years. There is dysfunction in all aspects of this program, including the fanbase. 

The thing is that the dysfunction isn't only relegated to the RV years. It's what has been allowed to be the status quo for decades in Denton when it comes to supporting UNT sports. 

Getting rid of RV was necessary from just a morale standpoint, as evidenced by sparse crowds at Apogee and the Super Pit. But that apathy that just crushes this place, is so thick, that it's just hard to see how it's gonna ever change. It sure as hell  isnt changing from beating SMU, Army, or SBCUSA schools. It's gonna take a massive win over a P5 AND a winning season to attract fans and money. But we scheduled so bad and for so long out that there's little chance of winning one of those p5 games on the road, so it's probably why we will look back on this last decade and realize that this is when FBS football at UNT fell apart. And it happened because nobody cared beyond the hearty few that still hang around here today. Apathy caused this, RV was merely the virus carrier...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

The situation is never hopeless. All it takes is leaders who think it's important on their own. As long as the leaders think, 'well I'll ask around and see if very many people think it's important' then there will be failure. On the other hand, when they just decide to have a successful program and then do have one, then if they asked around they would find a lot of people who care. That's what being a leader is about. We haven't had that before. Maybe we have that now. There has been a lot of change.

• Upvote 4

On 7/5/2016 at 6:56 AM, UNT90 said:

Having no desire to post here is not synonymous with not caring. It just gives you nothing to reply to and encourages you to cannibalize and argue with people you're even more aligned with, which is pretty entertaining a thing to read sometimes.

Edited by Quoner
  • Upvote 5