MGB: D’Vonta Derricott talks about UNT, plans for future

Wow I mean Mike Ekeler has been as huge an assistant hire as I can ever recall.  Guy just keeps producing as a recruiter.  Amazing first recruiting campaign.  Very excited about this defense.

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Wow I mean Mike Ekeler has been as huge an assistant hire as I can ever recall.  Guy just keeps producing as a recruiter.  Amazing first recruiting campaign.  Very excited about this defense.

What would be terrible is the defense produces big time then he moves on to another job :( thats what i'm worried about

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

What would be terrible is the defense produces big time then he moves on to another job :( thats what i'm worried about

Uh . . . I've had enough of the alternative (minimal production, stays here until finally booted).  Don't get me wrong . . . I'd love to see Coach Ekeler build up a lights out defense and stick around, but the first part is vastly more important.

• Upvote 5

9 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Uh . . . I've had enough of the alternative (minimal production, stays here until finally booted).  Don't get me wrong . . . I'd love to see Coach Ekeler build up a lights out defense and stick around, but the first part is vastly more important.

Yeah, if we're good enough that he leaves I'm A ok with that. 

• Upvote 1

29 tackles on a full season for an FCS? That's about 2.5 a game? Was he a starter? 

Look, I hope he pans out, but this most likely isn't any great recruiting coup. We were probably his only offer this year. Maybe a good depth and ST add, but I wonder how much PT he gets. 

6 hours ago, Huff said:

I am not sure how many of these late signees will help our team in 2016 - or even make it to campus - but I appreciate that this coaching staff is out knocking on doors and turning over rocks to try to get some better players to work with.   They are not sitting around eating BonBons or trying to figure out a way to play another 18 holes of golf today.  That kind of effort will pay off in the long run.

Agree. Especially if a qualified, motivated AD is hired to give them help.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

20 hours ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

I learned a long time ago that that fabulous philosopher, Janis Joplin, had it right when it comes to matters like this:

On 7/3/2016 at 6:18 PM, UNT90 said:

Maybe a good depth and ST add,

I think this is where we are in terms of short-term strategy. Need to backfill add depth to a depleted roster with more than just walk-ons. LBs were a definite weakness, and I feel like the lineup could (and should) be completely revamped.