Joe Greene Statue "Update"

16 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

I believe the thought there is that the busts would reside below the names and retired numbers of those attributed to their likeness.

I love this idea if you can make it accessible to the fans.

I attended the UNT-Alabama game several years ago.  They have a really cool "Walk of Champions" outside of Bryant-Denny Stadium.  The "walk" consists of life-size statues of champion coaches and players.  Would be awesome if we could do something along these lines near Apogee Stadium.

• Upvote 2

• 4 months later...

Something tells me Ashton may have some info on his cutting room floor.  

The Beyond the Green episode covering the Mean Joe's involvement in homecoming included a scene with Wren & Joe riding around Apogee in a golf cart together.  I couldn't help but hope that part of that ride included discussion of a future statue location.

On 9/29/2016 at 3:49 PM, Tyler Maryak said:

This is somewhat of a tangent, but it is related to the AD hearing and responding to fan feedback. Joe Greene's birthday, the survey, and the consultant's findings got me thinking about it and I thought now might be as good a time as any to go ahead and message The Wren® about the Joe Greene statue. Here is the correspondence, for those interested (with certain names redacted to prevent triggers).

Wrenovation.PNG

On 7/5/2016 at 9:10 PM, Side Show Joe said:

Thanks Tyler. Keep me updated. I look forward to seeing what the new AD thinks of this project. I know I'm fired up about it.

12 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

any info on the status? has it changed? Any connection with WB yet?

3 hours ago, jdennis82 said:

Something tells me Ashton may have some info on his cutting room floor.  

The Beyond the Green episode covering the Mean Joe's involvement in homecoming included a scene with Wren & Joe riding around Apogee in a golf cart together.  I couldn't help but hope that part of that ride included discussion of a future statue location.

Hey BTG_Fan1,

The top quote is the latest I heard and posted about in another topic. I think the season opener next year would be optimistic yet plausible.

jdennis82, I would love it if you were right.

Side Show Joe, I included you too, in case you weren't already aware.

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2016 at 11:05 AM, trud1966 said:

Honoring Joe Greene is a No-Brainer, his name alone practically promotes itself.  ....Should've been done this 25 years ago, so people will GLADLY dig in their pockets for this.  Hell, you could probably spearhead a GoFundMe account for this and have the money in a month.     This kind of feature will, believe it or not, will actually be a reason for people to come to the games to see it, pose with it for pictures.   The actual "unveiling" of the statue/wall event with Joe Greene present would get a ton of media attention.

Like the idea of the wall behind him with engravings of other images/players.   Another idea would be to incorporate some of the motifs that were up on Fouts that were removed...

Fouts.JPG

On 7/1/2016 at 11:21 AM, Tyler Maryak said:

It would be nice if donations could be funneled through athletics so the donation can be tax deductible and cut out the processing fee associated with GoFundMe. At least, that was the reasoning.

The original timeline was to unveil the idea at the Spring Scrimmage and start the public fundraising phase right then and there. That was the most disappointing busted timeline. But the hope was, at that point, that if we started fundraising that day, we would unveil the statue by Homecoming.

I agree about avoiding a crowdfunding option if possible. They take like 10 to 20 percent and I don't believe that you can set it up with a tax write off. Once the project is approved, it's easy enough to set up a secure portal through the University's own website that would keep all dontions for the project and provide an option to get a receipt for tax purposes.

On 7/2/2016 at 5:20 PM, Greenrex said:

Actually RV put it in a closet because he was a little upset that the bust didn't look like himself.

Though an unnecessary dig...it's a funny one. I imagined a satirical version of Rick being like, "gah! Dammit..." and tossing it into a closet.

@Side Show Joe I'm curious because of your username and the fact that you're a sculptor...are you involved with Side Show Collectibles?

9 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Wren Baker told me he had the bust that SideShowJoe created in his office and that they are trying to decide how best to display this bust and possible others.

This. I am excited about the possibilities.

1 hour ago, JesseMartin said:

I agree about avoiding a crowdfunding option if possible. They take like 10 to 20 percent and I don't believe that you can set it up with a tax write off. Once the project is approved, it's easy enough to set up a secure portal through the University's own website that would keep all dontions for the project and provide an option to get a receipt for tax purposes.

Though an unnecessary dig...it's a funny one. I imagined a satirical version of Rick being like, "gah! Dammit..." and tossing it into a closet.

@Side Show Joe I'm curious because of your username and the fact that you're a sculptor...are you involved with Side Show Collectibles?

No association at all.

I'm an art teacher. I sculpt on the side, although I've been spending more and more time sculpting lately. Right now I'm working on a sculpture of a colonial Spanish Texas predidio soldier from around 1760, for a museum in San Antonio. I tend to focus on historical figures.

The nickname Side Show was given to me by my brother a long time ago.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 6

13 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Wren Baker told me he had the bust that SideShowJoe created in his office and that they are trying to decide how best to display this bust and possible others.

This!! With the way Apogee is set up and fans having to walk across the bridge it makes for an interesting Dilemma  

My first thoughts are as you come off the walking bridge before you get to the Alumni Pavilion somewhere in there have the "Ring of Honor" type statue park and have a SIDEWALK not wood pellets leading to the Alumni pavilion.  

Maybe line the sidewalk that leads directly to the alumni pavilion with statues "Path/Road to _________"  Statues are lit with bright lights for night games and stay on in the evening.  

My two very quick not very well planned out ideas.   

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Too bad it just a bust and not a lifesized statue.

At one time there were plans for a life size statue in front of Apogee.  I believe Coca Cola was being presented with funding options for such a statue in meetings with RV prior to his departure.  Have no clue where that stands or if it stands any longer.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1