DRC: Littrell, UNT getting creative to fill out depleted roster

Brett Vito

I've been in the locker room several times and it's not impressive by any means.  Look at other D1 schools and this is an area that should be Improved. Excited about increasing and improving the quality of our social media campaigns as well.  Like what this new staff is doing! Refreshing, old fart and his mini Mac free scholarship pet project, was totally off and out of touch with today's kiddos.  Excited for the new AD too.  We need new blood in this position too.

• Upvote 6

For everyone that is predicting 5-6 wins and rainbows and lollipops for this season, this number should be the sobering reality that revises your win prediction. 68 scholarship players is embarrassing. There is no way to sugar coat it. FCS schools have 65 scholarships on board. I still think Littrell is the man to get the job done but it is going to take more time than any of us think or believe.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

For everyone that is predicting 5-6 wins and rainbows and lollipops for this season, this number should be the sobering reality that revises your win prediction. 68 scholarship players is embarrassing. There is no way to sugar coat it. FCS schools have 65 scholarships on board. I still think Littrell is the man to get the job done but it is going to take more time than any of us think or believe.

I have a sinking feeling it's actually worse than what is being reported.

Rick

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Littrell's courting of so many JUCOs is a complete dice roll.  Come August, if only half have qualified, I'd count that as a small victory.

However, as I've stated before, we don't face a Murderer's Row of opponents, either out of conference or in conference.  So, again, I expect this team to be able to win at least four games, with six not being out of the question. 

A pretty green 2011 squad pulled out five for McCarney's initial effort.  They were also under 85 scholarships.  

I expect Littrell to do as well as 2011 McCarney.   

• Upvote 3

Littrell was asked about incoming jucos and whether we had lost any.  He said that it is always a risk with jucos that are not here for the spring, but what I thought I heard him say was that we had not lost any yet.

It seems like he would know by now if kids took care of business or not since the semester has been over for a little while.  Now, if he has kids that have to go this summer to complete their required work, then that is a different story.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

I can't stress this enough....

There has never been a better time to try and walk on at North Texas.

Rick  

That was during the McCarney era.

We have a lot of walk-ons coming, but the difference is that they won't all be starters and get scholarships.

3 minutes ago, Aldo said:

We have a lot of walk-ons coming, but the difference is that they won't all be starters and get scholarships.

A few will likely get ships.   Just not nearly as many or as fast.  Most programs reward 1 or 2 a year usually doing the junior or senior season.    

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

Unfortunately...it's right now.

If there's a Chris Hurd or Casey Fitzgerald out there...there's never been a better time for them to get a chance than right now.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

does coach L have a friend who has a son who is great qb that can help us?

UCLA QB just transfered to Blinn keep an eye on him

• Upvote 1

This staff's decision to pickup JUCO's is the right move for us right now.  He realizes we don't have 3-4 years of waiting around for HS freshman to lead this team and its new system.  Get those guys who can make a difference today, win some games, and use this story of success.  Highlighting the turn around for this program, selling the future, and going after the better HS recruits.  This heavy focus on JUCOs is a quick, short term fix and the staff knows this.  The remaining players from last years team didn't play the style of football that is being established.  Again, these JUCOs can fill in the gaps and make a difference for the next couple of years.  Allowing his Freshman a little time to grow within the system.  This coaching staff wants to win and im excited to see their excitement, fresh ideas and creating this new brand of MEAN GREEN FOOTBALLS! 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Littrell's courting of so many JUCOs is a complete dice roll.  Come August, if only half have qualified, I'd count that as a small victory.

However, as I've stated before, we don't face a Murderer's Row of opponents, either out of conference or in conference.  So, again, I expect this team to be able to win at least four games, with six not being out of the question. 

A pretty green 2011 squad pulled out five for McCarney's initial effort.  They were also under 85 scholarships.  

I expect Littrell to do as well as 2011 McCarney.   

A strong case could be made that the 2010 roster Dodge left for McCarney was much stronger than the 2015 roster McCarney left for Littrell. I guess we will see in September when we know how many starters are new to the program and how many came from Littrell's recruits and transfers. Every starter for McCarney's first game but 3 was either on the 2-deep for the first or last game of the 2010 season. The 3 being Cyril Lemon(true freshman), Andrew Power(juco), and Ryan Boutwell(redshirt freshman who saw time in 3 games as a true freshman but was never on the 2-deep). We already know the starting quarterback won't be from last year's 2-deep. How many other position will be the same?

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

It's really disheartening and sad realizing how much McCarney actually screwed us. Not only did he lose his team, and the players. He lost the next few years for us due to his ineptitude at managing an FBS roster

I hope the margaritas are good.

Good riddance

rv allowed this situation to develop. Mc should of been told to shape up or leave after his heart event. No leadership from the AD's office in pretty much the last 10 years.

Where are those on this board that supported rv? rv didn't expect anything from his coaches?

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Mo Green said:

Mc should of been told to shape up or leave after his heart event. 

Really interesting to contrast the treatment of Dickey vs Mac after their health problems.

12 minutes ago, Mo Green said:

Where are those on this board that supported rv?

A lot of people have gone missing, but then again there is a lot of new accounts...