NT Daily covers UNT Fan Meeting from Monday

27 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I think ya'll are getting worked up over nothing.

We will have a new AD soon enough, hopefully we will hear some finalists names in the coming weeks.

GMG

Hope you are right.

What should be absolutely clear in this thread is that Hank Dickenson will by no means unite this fan base. His appointment as AD will cause several to walk away from the program. 

Thats what should be taken away from all this hopefully immaterial bickering.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Hope you are right.

What should be absolutely clear in this thread is that Hank Dickenson will by no means unite this fan base. His appointment as AD will cause several to walk away from the program. 

Thats what should be taken away from all this hopefully immaterial bickering.

See, to me, the fans have pretty much walked away already. If Hank gets the job, they, like me, will just stay away. Not because Hank is a bad guy, but because we have to get better people in this AD and they aren't in Denton right now.

At this point, to get many of us back, the university needs to hire outside of  He current AD staff. They need to hire someone who didn't come from an attendance juggernaut, but rather someone who has to understand that the UNT/Denton community don't like or have any major connection to our football program. 

Our problems are systemic and come from leadership and influences far above the AD when it comes to apathy and accepted losing. The next AD needs a fresh start and has to even see if there are enough people to get interested in our sports around here.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

First, as usual, the athletic department did a poor job contacting all the MGC members; short notice and hardly anyone invited I'm surprised 100 showed up (they planned it this way I'm sure). I know, as a major donor, I was not contacted, found out about it on Tuesday when I happen to read the Denton Record Chronicle on-line. I let Chip know this as we have spoken via email several times, trust me, it was duly noted. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

55 minutes ago, UNT78 said:

First, as usual, the athletic department did a poor job contacting all the MGC members; short notice and hardly anyone invited I'm surprised 100 showed up (they planned it this way I'm sure). I know, as a major donor, I was not contacted, found out about it on Tuesday when I happen to read the Denton Record Chronicle on-line. I let Chip know this as we have spoken via email several times, trust me, it was duly noted. 

Second, this was not the Athletic Department's doing...   This was Trip Kuehne & Mike Sicuro.   They got word out exactly where it needed to go in order to get the target audience they wanted.   It was not something they were going to blast an email out to 1000's of people for.

• Upvote 5

17 hours ago, meanrob said:

I'm way out here in Idaho but I'm doing a serious slow burn on the fact that Jub Jub chose a fan forum to campaign for his buddy and lecture the fans.  

That ain't right....

and the forum had nothing to do with who should be the next AD.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

and the forum had nothing to do with who should be the next AD.

Not until George brought it up in an extremely contrived campaign speech. 

Hank knows everything that was said at that meeting. Probably did moments after the meeting was over. They should have just let the AD attend.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

Norval F Pohl President 2000-2006

Reply to who was the last Pres to care about athletics. If you do not have a true commitment from your President and Chairman of the Board of Regents nothing else matters. That means hiring an AD who is a fundraiser or who can hire and supervise one and be held accountable in the long term. In the short term it means redirecting University's assets to athletics until such funds can be raised ( see U of H). Waiting for potential donors to come out of the woodwork is NOT a short term solution at any G5. If we want only to be known for Music we should drop athletics entirely or at least go to non scholarship al la Austin College or Mary Hardin Baylor.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

Reply to who was the last Pres to care about athletics. If you do not have a true commitment from your President and Chairman of the Board of Regents nothing else matters. That means hiring an AD who is a fundraiser or who can hire and supervise one and be held accountable in the long term. In the short term it means redirecting University's assets to athletics until such funds can be raised ( see U of H). Waiting for potential donors to come out of the woodwork is NOT a short term solution at any G5. If we want only to be known for Music we should drop athletics entirely or at least go to non scholarship al la Austin College or Mary Hardin Baylor.

If we want to be known for football we should drop music entirely or at least go to Austin College or Mary Hardin Baylor-level music course offerings.

See how that works?

It's a fine line to balance it all.  I don't envy President Smatresk's job.  
He probably is getting an earful from every angle about how they're all underfunded... and likely hearing about how terrible athletics is and why money should be diverted from athletic programs to ones that are more successful, like Music or Education...  It does not appear that he's doing so.

• Upvote 2

I've read through this whole thread to make sure that one of the questions I had about HD's (alleged) "big positive" (connections/relationships in the Denton community) hadn't been addressed. It hadn't. 

If Hank has so many "relationships" in the Denton Community then why do "volunteers" have to go around the square (and other places) every year begging the local community to let us do something as simple as putting up schedules in their windows? Does Hank coordinate these volunteers? Does Hank send out word to these community people whom he allegedly has relationships with that volunteers are coming to place schedules in your windows and please welcome them with open arms?

Because as recently as a few years ago, I was still hearing from volunteers that they still ran into the old "if we show support to you, then that will hurt out TWU business" lame-a$$ excuse that they've always used.

This is not a huge point, but it is "community support 101". Something that our AAD should have handled YEARS AGO! 

And as to the "if you're kid played football" analogy. My son played football and I NEVER lobbied with the coaches for any additional playing time and/or promotion for him. And that is because I knew that it would have had the opposite effect. My son got as much playing time as he earned. My assessment (a significant part of my job with the state was to assess people) of UNT90 is that he would have the same policy. AND his folded arms were about concentrating on what he was going to say to the group, not "don't you dare approach me". 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

On June 30, 2016 at 2:19 PM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I spoke more than anybody did in the room on Monday.  You sat on the other side of the room with a scowl on your face, and your arms folded across your chest.....body language said you were not accepting introductions.  Nice that you keep taking personal jabs at GD and his weight....classy of you

You... were not the one who spoke the most, but...

On June 30, 2016 at 3:33 PM, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I thought the analogy was pretty good.

...it seems like you sure do think highly of your own voice.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

I can't find the @MeanGreen_MBA post where he said I sat there with a scowl on my face with arms folded. He can kiss my ass. He obviously knew who i was and didn't have the courage to even say hello. I don't know him from Adam. Grow a pair.

I had numerous conversations with multiple people, one of whom I've been more than a little hard on. He and I talked for 20 minutes. If MBA had more intestinal fortitude, I'm sure we could have had the same type of constructive conversation.

Too bad he didn't. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

I could not tell what the purpose of the meeting was really supposed to be. Do the decision-makers really need to be told to stop running one of the 40 largest colleges in the US like one of the smallest? I guess so, because this little get-together seems like exactly that. It seems like 'cart before the horse'.  Instead, hire the right AD and he already knows all the stuff that needs to be done. 

If NT hired from within, it would cement NT's place as one of the most disproportionately bad athletics programs in college sports, for decades to come. Loved the 'see the results' comment. Yes and you will see those results for another 15 years. So this is not a time for just winging it, or DIY as seems to be happening.

On 2014 numbers, there were 36 universities that had more full time undergraduates than NT. Of those, only 6 had athletics programs on par or less than NT. The rest were all well-recognized names. Any expectation other than quickly becoming a well-recognized name is a waste of time. And by 'well' I mean not only the high level of notoriety but also being recognized for doing well. That expectation will guide who should be the AD, then he will lead without the need for consultants.
  • Upvote 5

11 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I can't find the @MeanGreen_MBA post where he said I sat there with a scowl on my face with arms folded. He can kiss my ass. He obviously knew who i was and didn't have the courage to even say hello. I don't know him from Adam. Grow a pair.

I had numerous conversations with multiple people, one of whom I've been more than a little hard on. He and I talked for 20 minutes. If MBA had more intestinal fortitude, I'm sure we could have had the same type of constructive conversation.

Too bad he didn't. 

I sat up front, asked questions to both coaches, and twice asked questions to the consultants.  I did not complain about the past, and bitch about the future.  Nobody asked more questions than I did.  Why would I want to talk to somebody who has nothing but negative things to say about anything?  I have better things to do with my time..."Kiss My Ass", "Grow a Pair"?  You wonder why I didn't reach out to you?  I prefer to talk to people who want to contribute in a positive way, not bitch and complain about everything. if UNT90 would channel that energy into a positive direction, he could actually be an asset!  He wonders why/complains that the University wont listen to him.....

12 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

I did not talk the longest, but did ask the most questions. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

14 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I sat up front, asked questions to both coaches, and twice asked questions to the consultants.  I did not complain about the past, and bitch about the future.  Nobody asked more questions than I did.  Why would I want to talk to somebody who has nothing but negative things to say about anything?  I have better things to do with my time..."Kiss My Ass", "Grow a Pair"?  You wonder why I didn't reach out to you?  I prefer to talk to people who want to contribute in a positive way, not bitch and complain about everything. if UNT90 would channel that energy into a positive direction, he could actually be an asset!  He wonders why/complains that the University wont listen to him.....

I did not talk the longest, but did ask the most questions. 

Way to mischaracterize everything I said, champ.

You didn't approach because your an Internet tough guy who doesn't like or probably know how to constructively handle interpersonal disagreements. 

Left up to you, RV would still be AD, the problems inside the AD would never have come to life, you would still be saying how great facilities are at UNT, and UNT would probably have to drop back down to FCS because of the suck people like you are willing to accept.

If you have the courage, come by my tailgate for the SMU game and let's have a frank, constructive  discussion about this program. Or tell me where you tailgate and I'll come by your tailgate.

Or keep doing what I expect you to do, Internet tough guy.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

12 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Way to mischaracterize everything I said, champ.

You didn't approach because your an Internet tough guy who doesn't like or probably know how to constructively handle interpersonal disagreements. 

Left up to you, RV would still be AD, the problems inside the AD would never have come to life, you would still be saying how great facilities are at UNT, and UNT would probably have to drop back down to FCS because of the suck people like you are willing to accept.

If you have the courage, come by my tailgate for the SMU game and let's have a frank, constructive  discussion about this program. Or tell me where you tailgate and I'll come by your tailgate.

Or keep doing what I expect you to do, Internet tough guy.

Nice manipulation of the facts.  You don't know me...or anybody I suspect.  I can be found at the Pavilion prior to the SMU, and all games.  If I get a new parking spot, I may have a small tailgate cook-out for all pre-game festivities.  Again, I have no real interest in speaking with somebody that is nothing but negative and manipulates all conversations to fit his agenda.  Try being a bit more positive, and then I will determine if you warrant some of my time...

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

57 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Nice manipulation of the facts.  You don't know me...or anybody I suspect.  I can be found at the Pavilion prior to the SMU, and all games.  If I get a new parking spot, I may have a small tailgate cook-out for all pre-game festivities.  Again, I have no real interest in speaking with somebody that is nothing but negative and manipulates all conversations to fit his agenda.  Try being a bit more positive, and then I will determine if you warrant some of my time...

Ah, the spin of someone who doesn't want honest, frank conversation. A person who only wants those to believe as he believes.

Let's cover some of your previous statements. First you said I wouldn't have the balls to show up at that meeting. I did. I said you wouldn't have the balls to have a conversation with me. You didn't. You accused me of "hiding behind a computer screen." I don't. But you are very content to name call while hiding your identity.

Coward. 

No wonder you were such a Rick Villarreal supporter. No wonder you will shill for anything UNT, good or bad. 

If you are going to call someone out publicly, be a man and have an in person conversation with them. I will with you, Hank Dickenson, George Dunham, or anyone else that wants that conversation. 

You see, that 20 minute conversation I had at that meeting was productive for both the person I had that conversation with and myself. But you don't want productive, you want to be a little girl and call people out yet never exposing yourself in person to any debate on the matter.

Coward. 

Ill make a point to make a journey to the Pavillion pre-SMU and have Christopher Walker point you out since he knows who you are. I'll approach you. You tell me you don't want a conversation, I'll walk away. What I've found is people like you change their opinion or run from a pointed, in person conversation. I mean, you've already done it. But I'll make you do it in public. 

Fair enough? 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

• Harry locked this topic