NT Daily covers UNT Fan Meeting from Monday

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Dunham is the campaign manager for the Hank Dickerson for AD campaign. Same old North Texas bullshit. 

Some donors, and I'm beginning to think Dunham is one of them, care more about keeping the tight but group of 50 or so major players, never wanting the university to expand beyond that. Dickenson is ABSOLUTELY cut from this cloth. 

There were about 100 people in that meeting, a meeting open to any UNT fan to attend. And 100 showed up. From a 35,000 student university with a conservative estimate of 100k fans living within 60 miles of Denton. 

If that's how you want it to stay, President Smatresk, go ahead and hire Hank Dickenson. 

And be prepared for some long time fans to walk away.

So sick of important alumni picking friendships over what is best for UNT athletics, and that's absolutely what George Dunham is doing here. 

"One thing we seem to be really good at [at] North Texas is complaining,” Dunham said, also saying he planned to listen for the most part but would speak up if needed"

Here is the thing George....not one person, that I can recall, said anything about Hank until you did.  You came with an agenda and plugged it when you could. 

what we're seeing from people like Dunham is the old guard in its death throes. I wonder if he feels so strongly about his friend becoming ad that he'd walk away from the program. 

I don't want to see us lose any supporters, but at the same time if they're not part of the solution they're part of the problem. 

I'm wondering if anyone from the ivory tower/wine and cheese crowd was at the meeting silently supporting their chosen successor. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, All About UNT said:

"One thing we seem to be really good at [at] North Texas is complaining,” Dunham said, also saying he planned to listen for the most part but would speak up if needed"

Here is the thing George....not one person, that I can recall, said anything about Hank until you did.  You came with an agenda and plugged it when you could. 

Ya, because there is nothing to complain about when it comes to UNT athletics, right George? And then to say Hank "made excuses for the last guy for 15 years" and actually believe that's a selling point? Like what UNT needs is another guy that is practiced at making excuses? It was about the worst argument for Hank that could have been made. 

Stop picking friendship over what's best for UNT athletics, George Dunham. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, Silent Eagle said:

what we're seeing from people like Dunham is the old guard in its death throes. I wonder if he feels so strongly about his friend becoming ad that he'd walk away from the program. 

I don't want to see us lose any supporters, but at the same time if they're not part of the solution they're part of the problem. 

I'm wondering if anyone from the ivory tower/wine and cheese crowd was at the meeting silently supporting their chosen successor. 

George got quite the applause from the older crowd after his campaign speech. There was more than silent support. I hope the applause was people just being polite, I fear just the opposite. 

George attempting to play the victim was also laughable. The "I've been personally attacked for the comments I made on my show" line followed by an attempt to generate tears made me throw up in my mouth. It was like seeing RV in action all over again. He was intentionally trying to play victim and generate sympathy for his friend. It's was extremely calculated. 

Really pissed me off. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 7

8 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Dunham is the campaign manager for the Hank Dickerson for AD campaign. Same old North Texas bullshit. 

Some donors, and I'm beginning to think Dunham is one of them, care more about keeping the tight big group of 50 or so major players, never wanting the university to expand beyond that. Dickenson is ABSOLUTELY cut from this cloth. 

There were about 100 people in that meeting, a meeting open to any UNT fan to attend. And 100 showed up. From a 35,000 student university with a conservative estimate of 100k fans living within 60 miles of Denton. 

If that's how you want it to stay, President Smatresk, go ahead and hire Hank Dickenson. 

So sick of important alumni picking friendships over what is best for UNT athletics, and that's absolutely what George Dunham is doing here. 

Ya that's bad

We get a little over a 100 alumni at our UNT Lacrosse Alumni Game

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NTAlum09 said:

Ya that's bad

We get a little over a 100 alumni at our UNT Lacrosse Alumni Game

This illustrates the amount of apathy, of hopelessness, that has been allowed to fester with nothing to look forward to athletically. Losing in football, losing in basketball, losing in women's basketball, no baseball, no commitment to excellence from anyone. Most of us are disheartened that even with RV gone and the consultants coming in, very little will change in the foreseeable future. Hype is just that. Hype. I fear this latest effort by Dr. S may have come too late.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

This illustrates the amount of apathy, of hopelessness, that has been allowed to fester with nothing to look forward to athletically. Losing in football, losing in basketball, losing in women's basketball, no baseball, no commitment to excellence from anyone. Most of us are disheartened that even with RV gone and the consultants coming in, very little will change in the foreseeable future. Hype is just that. Hype. I fear this latest effort by Dr. S may have come too late.

We will have an answer to this inside a month. If Hank is named AD, it will be the death of UNT athletics. It will be more go along to get along and more excuses for failure. 

IF UNT goes outside and hires a youngish person who has turned around an AD at a lower level, hope abounds. It's not too late, but it's late.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

I have known Hank since he first came to UNT. He wants what is best for the University, honest as the day is long,and is qualified for the position. However, I think he is tied to the past administration much like Clinton is tied to Obama.[not trying to be political,just showing an example].

• Upvote 7

9 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Some donors, and I'm beginning to think Dunham is one of them, care more about keeping the tight big group of 50 or so major players, never wanting the university to expand beyond that. Dickenson is ABSOLUTELY cut from this cloth. 

I think this all goes back to communication with alumni.    If you are not a GMG forum member, how else were you going to hear about this event ?    The only media attention that it seemed to get was after the actual meeting took place.    

I agree that our fan base is apathetic, especially now.   But, this event could have been much better attended with a little more publicity.   On the other hand, I am not sure that they wanted a lot of people to show up.   IMO, this event was probably staged in part to attempt to quell the negativity coming from this forum.    I am not being critical of anyone here.   Just making an observation.     The hardcore UNT fans are all right here.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1

If you want to see why people are willing to walk away from this program just look at some of the opinions in this thread.

Despite countless example after example of fans being treated like lepers, horrible business practices and zero accountability we still have spineless fans who refuse to stand up for their "friends" and for their university.  I saw this in dealing with Mandy McKinley as well.  

One poster above told me to my face Monday night he's 50/50 on Hank, then wakes up this morning and states he's worried nothing will ever change around here. 

WTF????? 

I like most of ya,...and yall  know I'd do just about anything for you but I'll never understand some of you guys with the whole..."Well....he's never pissed down my leg...so he must be a good guy" approach.

My point being we never stand up for our own and it's just sickening.

Unreal!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Whether they will admit it or not, the entire senior administration at the athletic department are tired and burned out.  A fresh start is critical.  Interesting how Dunham can switch from media to non-media upon his own whim.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, drex said:

Whether they will admit it or not, the entire senior administration at the athletic department are tired and burned out.  A fresh start is critical.  Interesting how Dunham can switch from media to non-media upon his own whim.

And then use his media status to get quoted in the school newspaper. Such seedy behavior.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

So you've got some consultants readily admitting there are many problems within the department, and you (general you) want to promote from within?

Nothing personal to Dickenson, as I don't know the guy, but he's unfortunately guilty by association.

On top of that it's small-time mentality. Put your big boy pants on, stop acting on emotion, and make the right business decision for the program.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

I know we're running out of time, since banners take 7 months for the payoff. But, have we considered flying a new one that says:

Just Say "NO tHANKs" to UNT AD!

Sounds like you just got yourself a project. 

Then you can strangely fixate on yourself after you fly the thing, right?... ?

11 hours ago, Silent Eagle said:

If he walks away, he proves he cares more about a friend than he does what is best for UNT.

If that's the case, good riddance.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Sounds like you just got yourself a project. 

Then you can strangely fixate on yourself after you fly the thing, right?... ?

If he walks away, he proves he cares more about a friend than he does what is best for UNT.

If that's the case, good riddance.

Change is scary for some people.  
But I'm fairly certain the new AD will be sure to meet with George Dunham early on to get level with him.   Once they meet, and figure out that both want what's best for UNT athletics, George will jump on board.  I'm betting the same for "the 17" and any others that were chummy with RV before.

• Upvote 4