Why Not North Texas???....

7 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

If SL delivers then he can use any damn slogan he wants. We have all been burned too often, but we have to hit the jackpot sometime.

Agree.
If he's successful, we'll need a tradition of slogans in the form of a question.  Like,
"When are we gonna lock the gate?"
"Who's packing 4 suits?"
"How many feet of heat?"
"What kind of plan is it, if it's not a high school plan or a college plan?"
"Where is Bethune-Cookman?"
"Why can't we get our tickets?"

• Upvote 1

New Slogans:

Mean Green Football. FCS scholarship levels at twice the cost and 10 times the sadness!

Apogee Stadium WIng Zone Family Deal. 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, and enough tears for the whole family!

UNT Baseball Fever! Catch It! in like 10-15 years, OR never. Whatevs

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

This is exactly what he did.  Coach is tired of people asking "why North Texas?  He told us "why not."  A goldmine of hs players and coaches in the surrounding four counties, passionate alumni and fans, large student body, great university and more I can't remember (old age.)

Glad we went.

GMG!

• Upvote 3

I think what he was saying here is lost in translation since you weren't there.  He has been asked by lots of his coaching buddies "Why North Texas?" To which he replies to them why not? He believes in this place, this state and the coaches and athletes in it.  He is a ball coach who eats sleeps and breathes football.  He is going to be a really good HC. I just pray we can keep him around long enough to make him our own Gary Patterson.  This guy is big time! 

• Upvote 1

I guess the difference to me is I think he is sincere, whereas Mac was giving us total coach speak.  Coach Littrell never once mentioned being on a national championship team or being team captain at OU.  He talked about being in the same situation as a player at OU that our players are in now, adapting to new leadership.  I felt that he was genuinely trying to answer the question. 

I understand your cynicism, but I choose to have hope.

GMG!

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I think what he was saying here is lost in translation since you weren't there.  He has been asked by lots of his coaching buddies "Why North Texas?" To which he replies to them why not? He believes in this place, this state and the coaches and athletes in it.  He is a ball coach who eats sleeps and breathes football.  He is going to be a really good HC. I just pray we can keep him around long enough to make him our own Gary Patterson.  This guy is big time! 

The first few times I heard McCarney say it, I thought all of these same things you are thinking.    It sounds like you have chugged a vat of Mean Green Koolaid.

Curious... How long have you been associated w/UNT @GMG24?  This is not an attempt to discredit you, rather to offer a different in points of view.

@TheTastyGreek has been around UNT as long (longer?) as I have.  He's seen the cycle plenty of times.   Can't blame him one bit for wanting to see the proof in the pudding this time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

The first few times I heard McCarney say it, I thought all of these same things you are thinking.    It sounds like you have chugged a vat of Mean Green Koolaid.

Curious... How long have you been associated w/UNT @GMG24?  This is not an attempt to discredit you, rather to offer a different in points of view.

@TheTastyGreek has been around UNT as long (longer?) as I have.  He's seen the cycle plenty of times.   Can't blame him one bit for wanting to see the proof in the pudding this time.

Lived in Denton my entire life, born in 88.  Been to many Unt games, football and bball.  McCarney was my first experience of coming in as a new coach.  I saw the dodge hire and liked it until I saw the staff and knew it would never work.  I got to Unt campus in 2009. Graduated in 2013.  I was coaching while McCarney was here and heard him at coaches conventions, most coaches felt like he was a glorified cheerleader screaming from mountain tops.  Ask any TXHSFB coach about Littrell and UNT staff, light years ahead of previous staff with exception of a few one of whom is still here in Coach Perry! I am VERY glad we kept him.

I definitely understand people's wanting to wait and see approach, I am just coming from a coaches perspective (usually pretty easy to see a BSer) especially now that I'm in year 8 of coaching and year 4 of teaching and coaching.  For what it's worth, a lot of coaches are impressed with UTSA staff as well. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Lived in Denton my entire life, born in 88.  Been to many Unt games, football and bball.  McCarney was my first experience of coming in as a new coach.  I saw the dodge hire and liked it until I saw the staff and knew it would never work.  I got to Unt campus in 2009. Graduated in 2013.  I was coaching while McCarney was here and heard him at coaches conventions, most coaches felt like he was a glorified cheerleader screaming from mountain tops.  Ask any TXHSFB coach about Littrell and UNT staff, light years ahead of previous staff with exception of a few one of whom is still here in Coach Perry! I am VERY glad we kept him.

I definitely understand people's wanting to wait and see approach, I am just coming from a coaches perspective (usually pretty easy to see a BSer) especially now that I'm in year 8 of coaching and year 4 of teaching and coaching.  For what it's worth, a lot of coaches are impressed with UTSA staff as well. 

I'm going to try and remember this when Littrell is successful, and come back to give you kudos for your unbridled confidence that he's the man.   I doubt you'll be patting yourself on the back.  But you've been very outspoken so far, whereas most people have more "cautious optimism"... myself included.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

I definitely understand people's wanting to wait and see approach, I am just coming from a coaches perspective (usually pretty easy to see a BSer) especially now that I'm in year 8 of coaching and year 4 of teaching and coaching.  For what it's worth, a lot of coaches are impressed with UTSA staff as well

giphy.gif