Dan McCarney on coaching memories

Harry

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

There is no way in hell I'm giving forty five minutes of my life to hear about Iowa and big ass rings.

If anyone does, though, I would love you for providing a TL;DR version.

2 hours ago, jtm0097 said:

Iowa, Iowa, Iowa, and I won a national championship at Florida. Why not North Texas? Grey Goose will fix it. 

which may very well look roughly like this.

• Upvote 2

It's rather sad that Mac went out of NT in such a ball of flames, HoD was an amazing year. I can't figure out if he went senile, or what happened. We weren't recruiting well, but his strength and conditioning was second to none. His last year was nothing but Iowa Iowa Iowa, stubbornness, and horrific losses. He was a great coach for his first three years. I'm still confused as to this day what happened. It's so bad that I could really go my entire life without ever hearing him speak again.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

It's rather sad that Mac went out of NT in such a ball of flames, HoD was an amazing year. I can't figure out if he went senile, or what happened. We weren't recruiting well, but his strength and conditioning was second to none. His last year was nothing but Iowa Iowa Iowa, stubbornness, and horrific losses. He was a great coach for his first three years. I'm still confused as to this day what happened. It's so bad that I could really go my entire life without ever hearing him speak again.

He lived off the talent Dodge left him and when it came time for "his guys" to produce it was painfully obvious he hadn't been recruiting D1 athletes. In many ways, he left the program in worse shape than Dodge. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

50 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I'm not sad because he gets to collect a check while sitting on his ass at the beach eating lobster. As far as the strength coach, I heard he got into with Mac and stormed out of his office...and I hope he told Mac's stubborn ass off.

And no he WAS NOT a great coach, he was an outdated coach.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

tl;dr everything at Iowa and Iowa St and Wisconsin is do it first class or don't do it at all.  Iowa St. Assistant Terry Allen's son, Chase Allen, has committed to Iowa St. after Mac found him and recruited him to North Texas last summer.  I've been part of a national championship, 20, 21 bowl wins.  It's been an amazing journey uh ride for me.  We won the first bowl game for Iowa St. in 100 years.  People constantly sell you short.  You can respond to that and succeed.  Content if he doesn't get back in to coaching.  My most enjoyable years of 45 years of coaching were spent at Iowa St.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NTAlum09 said:

I'm not sad because he gets to collect a check while sitting on his ass at the beach eating lobster. As far as the strength coach, I heard he got into with Mac and stormed out of his office...and I hope he told Mac's stubborn ass off.

And no he WAS NOT a great coach, he was an outdated coach.

I'm not sad for him, more or less the whole situation. And I'm not surprised, Mac couldn't recruit.

He was a great coach, but a sorry recruiter. Outdated agreed, but great coach on the X's and O's for his first three years. Something happened after the HoD victory.

Y'all seem to forget that after HoD a LOT of rumors were flying around about Mac being a candidate across the country for bigger jobs. 

We've got a lot of hindsight here. Much like when people say they never thought the extension was a good idea.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

57 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I'm not sad for him, more or less the whole situation. And I'm not surprised, Mac couldn't recruit.

He was a great coach, but a sorry recruiter. Outdated agreed, but great coach on the X's and O's for his first three years. Something happened after the HoD victory.

Y'all seem to forget that after HoD a LOT of rumors were flying around about Mac being a candidate across the country for bigger jobs. 

We've got a lot of hindsight here. Much like when people say they never thought the extension was a good idea.

Please provide links to these "rumors" because I don't remember anything credible being talked about. 

59 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

And I remember quite a few people questioning the extension when it was announced. Especially the number of years. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

His first 2 years his record was 9-15 until Skandany came in and saved his ass...I'm sorry but what the hell kind of X's and O's are you talking about?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Evidently Mac also thought he was on to bigger and better things because he seemed to pretty much quit UNT. 

I was surprised when RV gave MaC a 5 year extension.  I never heard Mac's name mentioned for another coaching job.  And, even if someone felt an extension was due, wouldn't 3 years have been gesture enough ? 

Any why do schools feel like they have to give 5 year contracts ?  If the coach is so good that other schools want them, they'll go regardless of contract.  The contract has no bearing as to the loyalty of the coach.  Only of the school.

Give the new AD a 3 year deal.  If we like him and he us, we can extend it.  If not, he can get a better job or we can find a better AD.

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

He lived off the talent Dodge left him and when it came time for "his guys" to produce it was painfully obvious he hadn't been recruiting D1 athletes. In many ways, he left the program in worse shape than Dodge. 

How is it that Dodge left us in terrible shape, but yet Dodge's players gave us one of the best seasons in our history?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

How is it that Dodge left us in terrible shape, but yet Dodge's players gave us one of the best seasons in our history?

The only answer I've been able to come up with for that is Skladany.  

The reality of the 2013 season is that the defense was so stout, that it put the opposing defense on the field for too long.  You could see the fatigue on the other teams in the second half.  

I have zero doubt in my mind that those very same players, recruited as freshmen and sophomores under Dodge, would've been neglected like their predecessors and given up 50+ points a game had there been no coaching change.  

Skladany is the variable in all the other constants.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Please provide links to these "rumors" because I don't remember anything credible being talked about. 

Define "credible."  Obviously, he wasn't actually offered a P5 HC gig; it was just something the pundits were talking about.  Even before last season, there was an article or two suggesting that Iowa State would be well served to bring back McCarney.

9 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Define "credible."  Obviously, he wasn't actually offered a P5 HC gig; it was just something the pundits were talking about.  Even before last season, there was an article or two suggesting that Iowa State would be well served to bring back McCarney.

Agent trying to negotiate more financial security for his client?

• Upvote 1