Ok - so I realize that this is a big 10 opening and on the other side of the country, however it is interesting nonetheless.  It is one of the most recent AD position hirings and from that standpoint interesting in terms of the types of candidates that they are looking at. 

Kaler and Turnkey President Len Perna declined to comment to the Star Tribune in recent days, and members of the search committee signed a confidentiality agreement. Prospective candidates also have been discouraged from talking publicly about the process.

None of the 14 sources could confirm whether there were more than nine people in an advanced stage of the search process, but based on those interviews, here is an alphabetical list of candidates who have been contacted and screened for the job by Turnkey:

Phil Esten, Penn State deputy AD: Esten, 43, spent six years as associate AD at Minnesota before becoming deputy AD at California-Berkley. In 2014, he took the deputy job at Penn State under Sandy Barbour, who'd also hired him at Cal. Esten played a key role in the fundraising for TCF Bank Stadium and later worked as president and CEO of the university's alumni association. The La Crosse, Wis., native got his doctorate in kinesiology from Minnesota.

Sean Frazier, Northern Illinois AD: Frazier is one of the candidates Turnkey has pursued most aggressively, according to sources. He was a finalist for the Rutgers AD position before taking the Northern Illinois job and has since drawn interest for AD posts at Pittsburgh and Illinois. The Long Island, N.Y., native and former Alabama football player was the deputy AD under Barry Alvarez at Wisconsin and served as the chair of the NCAA men's hockey committee in 2011. Frazier, 47, also served as the AD at Manhattanville, Merrimack and Clarkson.

Beth Goetz, Gophers interim AD: Some still view Goetz as the front-runner. She has drawn praise from inside the university since becoming interim AD when Norwood Teague resigned last August. A St. Louis native who played soccer at Clemson, Goetz, 41, began her career as a soccer coach and administrator at Missouri-St. Louis. She worked as a senior woman administrator at Butler before coming to Minnesota as deputy AD. One of her top references is Brad Stevens, who coached basketball at Butler before taking over the Boston Celtics.

David Gutzke, U.S. Bank senior VP: Gutzke, 58, comes heavily recommended from top executives at U.S. Bank. The Waverly, Minn., native was an honorable mention All-America safety at Princeton, and after getting cut from the Vikings, he got his MBA from St. Thomas. He has since built a career in wealth management. At U.S. Bank, he is the Senior VP/Managing Director of the Private Client Reserve, advising Minnesota business owners and executives along with their families.

Pete Najarian, CNBC stock analyst: Najarian, 52, was a three-time second-team All-Big Ten linebacker for the Gophers (1983-85) and graduated cum laude with a degree in genetic engineering. He played three seasons in the NFL and then became an options trader on Wall Street. In 2005, he and his brother, Jon, co-founded OptionMonster. He has a national profile as an analyst for CNBC and close ties to the Twin Cities business community.

Bill Robertson, WCHA commissioner: Robertson, 55, is a Cretin-Derham Hall and Cal State-Fullerton grad who worked in communications for the Timberwolves, Anaheim Ducks and Anaheim Angels before a 13-year stretch as vice president for the Wild. He became WCHA commissioner in 2014. He has strong Minnesota ties and a contact list filled with connections from the NCAA, NBA, NHL and Major League Baseball.

Bob Stein, Minneapolis attorney: Stein, 68, was a two-time All-America defensive end for the Gophers and spent seven years in the NFL. After earning his law degree, he worked as an NFL agent and was CEO of the Timberwolves (and Target Center) for eight years, at that team's inception. Many of Stein's hires, including Tim Leiweke (AEG, Toronto Maple Leafs) and Ron Minegar (Arizona Cardinals), Brenda Tinnen (Sprint Center, Kansas City) went on to highly successful careers themselves.

Gene Taylor, Iowa deputy AD: Taylor spent 13 years as North Dakota State's AD, leading the transition from Division II to Division I, where almost every sport there has succeeded, with the exception of women's basketball. The football team has won five consecutive Football Championship Subdivision titles. Taylor, 58, who hails from Safford, Ariz., also worked for the Naval Academy. He has made no secret that his goal is to become a Power Five conference AD.

Craig Thompson, Mountain West commissioner: Thompson remains a possibility for the Minnesota AD job, though it's believed he'd be hesitant to go through a drawn out search process, as it could compromise his current position. Thompson, 59, graduated from Minnesota with a degree in journalism and went into public relations, working for Kansas State, the Kansas City Kings and the Metro Conference before becoming commissioner of the American South Conference in 1987. He became commissioner of the Sun Belt Conference in 1991 and has been commissioner of the Mountain West since its founding in 1998.

11 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Really don't see Pete Najarian happening but that was an interesting name. 

I thought that as well.  I have also reviewed the University of Florida list, and one thing sort of jumps out at you... many of the top candidates whether or not they are from the athletic department or athletics trak seem to be either in the department already or alumni of the school.  There is also a very big push to regional tie-ins, ie they have either lived or worked in the area around the college.   It seems to me that hiring someone with experience in DFW and at least the state of Texas would be a plus for this particular hiring cycle.  RV had business and athletic administration experience but he wasn't from here.  I sincerely wish they could be more transparent in terms of who  the final candidates are as it would bring some much needed attention to the program and perhaps engage more of the alumni and fans.  If Minnesota and Florida can do it why can't we?  I always heard that they didn't want to release the candidate names for confidentiality purposes but frankly if they feel like being listed as a possibility for our job is a negative screw them.  This is such an important hire we need to have some transparency in my opinion.

• Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

I thought that as well.  I have also reviewed the University of Florida list, and one thing sort of jumps out at you... many of the top candidates whether or not they are from the athletic department or athletics trak seem to be either in the department already or alumni of the school.  There is also a very big push to regional tie-ins, ie they have either lived or worked in the area around the college.   It seems to me that hiring someone with experience in DFW and at least the state of Texas would be a plus for this particular hiring cycle.  RV had business and athletic administration experience but he wasn't from here.  I sincerely wish they could be more transparent in terms of who  the final candidates are as it would bring some much needed attention to the program and perhaps engage more of the alumni and fans.  If Minnesota and Florida can do it why can't we?  I always heard that they didn't want to release the candidate names for confidentiality purposes but frankly if they feel like being listed as a possibility for our job is a negative screw them.  This is such an important hire we need to have some transparency in my opinion.

Bout time I could +1 you @Harry

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly what I was thinking when I read that article. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Harry said:

It seems to me that hiring someone with experience in DFW and at least the state of Texas would be a plus for this particular hiring cycle.  RV had business and athletic administration experience but he wasn't from here.  

The ongoing, refuse to die sentiment that players, coaches, athletic directors, towel boys, one night stands, future ex-wives, and livestock must all "be from here" still confounds me to no end.  Yes.  Business is done a bit differently in Texas than other places, but it's not some Gordian knot that only somebody born with a rodeo belt buckle could ever comprehend.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

The ongoing, refuse to die sentiment that players, coaches, athletic directors, towel boys, one night stands, future ex-wives, and livestock must all "be from here" still confounds me to no end.  Yes.  Business is done a bit differently in Texas than other places, but it's not some Gordian knot that only somebody born with a rodeo belt buckle could ever comprehend.

Yes, the whole "divided loyalties" thing is far over stated. Yes, there are some that let divided loyalties interfere with their job, but most professionals do not. 

Paul L. Foster, chairman of the UT Board of Regents is a Baylor alumnus. The new business building on the Baylor campus is named for him because he (gasp) gave money to both his alma matter and to the school where he works. 

Darrell Royal was a graduate of OU.

Nick Saban is a graduate of Kent State. 

Get the best person you can find! 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Paul L. Foster, chairman of the UT Board of Regents

And UT Regent Ernest Aliseda is a, gasp -- Aggie.

34 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Get the best person you can find!

Of course that goes without saying.  Just thinking all else equal it would be nice to have an AD who understands UNT, and has some affiliation with the DFW area we need to try and garner support from.

Question -- does UNT have a good Sports Administration type of program?  You would think with our size we should have a pretty quality program that could perhaps help provide AD type of candidates.   I know the RTF program is good at UNT just wondered about athletics administration prep.  We seem to hire a lot of the support staff from other schools and areas.

3 hours ago, Harry said:

And UT Regent Ernest Aliseda is a, gasp -- Aggie.

Of course that goes without saying.  Just thinking all else equal it would be nice to have an AD who understands UNT, and has some affiliation with the DFW area we need to try and garner support from.

Question -- does UNT have a good Sports Administration type of program?  You would think with our size we should have a pretty quality program that could perhaps help provide AD type of candidates.   I know the RTF program is good at UNT just wondered about athletics administration prep.  We seem to hire a lot of the support staff from other schools and areas.

Our sports program is still pretty new.  It will take some time to build that up...it is a relatively new field of study