DRC: Dickenson the right person for UNT’s athletic director

Harry

The Mean Green Game Day goals are important to reiterate because they demonstrate how Hank Dickenson thinks and works. This campaign thrives, as do many other civic projects he leads, because of Hank’s relationships in Denton.

Mean Green Game Day is one of many ventures on which Hank and I have collaborated over the years. He has chaired the Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors and currently sits on the CVB’s Advisory Board, both roles where he’s been intricately involved in our initiatives.

He has invested in Denton for more than 20 years, and not just to tout the Mean Green (though he never misses that opportunity). The fact is he loves this city and UNT.

Recent changes in the North Texas athletics landscape have altered Hank’s title from deputy athletic director to acting athletic director. It’s my understanding that a nationwide search is underway for the new one. I just wonder, though, why everyone doesn’t see what I see. We’ve got our guy!

Of course, this is only my opinion and should not be taken as the opinion of the Denton Record-Chronicle just because you are reading it in this newspaper.

Like hundreds of you, I’m a Hank fan. He’s in the trenches with us, giving more than his 100 percent to uphold our Denton way of life. I don’t pretend to know what the experts look for when seeking the next Athletic Director, but I do know Hank Dickenson.

He knows sports and bleeds them all. He’s been wrangling UNT athletics for more than two decades, through ups and downs, wins and losses. And he’s still here.

As the team readies and Mean Green Game Day ramps up for year five, let’s do it with the best man on top.

Go. Mean. Green.

read more:  http://www.dentonrc.com/business-tech/denton-business-headlines/20160618-kim-phillips-dickenson-the-right-person-for-unts-athletic-director.ece

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

24 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

No, please no. My dealings with Hank through the years have always been nice, but we need fresh blood at the top with new ideas. 

This is how I feel as well.

• Upvote 1

What we have here is a public campaign by Hank Dickenson for the AD job. This is eerily similiar to the Chico public campaign after Dodge was let go, right down to the amount of success.

Except Hank has been here 15 plus years, not the one year Chico had under his belt.

Make no mistake, this is a planned move by Hank right down to the Georgio on air endorsement. We are seeing an active campaign for AD, and Hank has way more good ole boy connections than Chico could ever dream of. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 5

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

What we have here is a public campaign by Hank Dickenson for the AD job. This is eerily similiar to the Chico public campaign after Dodge was let go, right down to the amount of success.

Except Hank has been here 15 plus years, not the one year Chico had under his belt.

Make no mistake, this is a planned move by Hank right down to the Georgio on air endorsement. We are seeing an active campaign for AD, and Hank has way more good ole boy connections than Chico could ever dream of. 

I don't think Hank is pushing this though he may have said he would be interested in the job.  I think this is more about people who are "comfortable" with the way things are and don't want change.  Some people know with RV leaving their own jobs on not secured any longer.  It's really sickening when you think about it. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, FirefightnRick said:

No disrespect but you are wrong sir.

Rick

I agree. Georgio was pushing Hank from the beginning. It's a coordinated effort to keep the status quo. 

Its why UNT is what it is. Let's hope for once the status quo doesn't win out.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Granted I'm living several states away so y'all would know better than me.  I'd bet my other point is still correct.  He has plenty of people who would like him to get the job so they can hang onto theirs.  

I understand because of your distance living away and all but I know for a fact he's contacted folks about it around town.  

I promise you, he wants the job.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1