Home adorned with cryptic messages under city’s scrutiny

Kyle Martin | Staff Writer

@Kyle_Martin35

On the corner of Malone and Panhandle Streets, anybody can find the orange and red hand-painted lettering on the house of Patrick Burke. His windows read, “EARTH IS FLAT,” “gLObaL,” “Practice Truth / Fear Nothing” and things of the like.

“My guess is that, just like infinite space has no edges (supposedly, right?), that the realm of earth, the earthly plane, probably doesn’t have any edges either … that it just keeps going out in all directions forever,” Burke said. “But I mean, that’s just a guess.”

Burke is a self-proclaimed “flat-earther” and avid “space-junky.” After a few years of time and research, Burke has now furnished his house to convey his beliefs and displays homemade lawn art on his own private property.

The city of Denton, however, is now telling him he can no longer do this.

Patrick Burke's, a "flat-earther" and avid "space-junkie", house sits on the corner of Panhandle and Malone. Burke has decorated his lawn and home to show his beliefs, however, Denton Community Improvement Services has stated he is in violation of three city ordinances. Hannah Breland | Staff Photographer

Patrick Burke’s, a “flat-earther” and avid “space-junkie”, house sits on the corner of Panhandle and Malone. Burke has decorated his lawn and home to show his beliefs, however, Denton Community Improvement Services has stated he is in violation of three city ordinances. Hannah Breland | Staff Photographer

According to a letter sent to Burke by the Denton Community Improvement Services, Burke is in violation of three city ordinances: his signs that fall under “portable” and “non-conforming” signs are a violation.

The letter’s comments from officer Caleb Norris of Community Improvement Services reads: “The ‘YOUTUBE ERIC DUBAY 200 PROOFS’ sign on this property is a portable sign…It is unlawful to install, place, display, maintain, or make use of any portable sing. All portable signs on this property must be completely removed from public view.”

Patrick Burke has received letters from Denton Community Improvement Services that he is in violation of three city ordinances. Hannah Breland | Staff Photographer

Patrick Burke received letters from Denton Community Improvement Services that he is in violation of three city ordinances. Hannah Breland | Staff Photographer

Other comments involve Burke’s “Practice Truth / Fear Nothing” sign, which is said to be a ground sign needing a proper permit. Included with the letter was an application to receive a proper permit for the sign, and it stated that Burke has until June 21 wherein an inspection will be performed on his property to determine if he has properly fixed his violations.

Burke argues that his signs should be treated as “yard art” and left alone, but says he will likely comply with city regulations anyways.

“This is absolutely ridiculous for people to think that a boat disappears behind a curve at sea-level, and yet, when I get in a plane and take a picture out the window I still can’t see the curve,” Burke said.

Burke has a deep interest in the Earth and his beliefs in the lack of a globe.  His inspiration stems from studying Eric Dubay, author of “The Flat Earth Conspiracy.”  On Burke’s front lawn, anybody can see his homemade sign painted with orange lettering that reads “YOUTUBE ERIC DUBAY 200 PROOFS.”

Eric Dubay’s argument revolves around his “200 Proofs Earth is Not A Spinning Ball” video. He presents his evidence that the Earth is not flat. Moreover, widespread rationale among the proponents of the theory is that the horizon does not change. Using mathematics and basic scientific tools, such as the telescope, Dubay argues his point that the horizon stays flat upon all perspectives, despite changes in altitude.

“All amateur balloon, rocket, plane and drone footage show a completely flat horizon over 20-plus miles high,” Dubay said, as his first proof in his video. “Only NASA and other government space agencies show curvature in their fake CGI photos and videos.”

Burke wants Dubay’s video to reach 1 million views. His passion for belief in a flat Earth dates back to his personal studies using telescopes and elevated positions on the Earth. After searching for many years for proof of his theories, Burke found Dubay’s YouTube video to be everything he was looking for.

And despite remaining in conflict with the local government toward his abode’s upkeep, Burke’s resolve remains unshaken.

“The truth doesn’t fear investigation,” Burke said of his message. “Bulls–t does, but the truth doesn’t. All you have to do is put that s–t out there and I promise you, it’ll spread like wildfire. It’s the truth.”

Featured Image: Patrick Burke’s, a “flat-earther” and avid “space-junkie”, house sits on the corner of Panhandle and Malone. Burke has decorated his lawn and home to show his beliefs, however, Denton Community Improvement Services has stated he is in violation of three city ordinances. Hannah Breland | Staff Photographer

View Full Article

• Upvote 1

City of Denton better read up on some Supreme Court cases and use of signs on someone's private property residence, not Commercial.

City could be easily sued for prohibiting free speech. Let the nutty guy do his own thing, he is not hurting anyone expressing his views.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTFan23 said:

This guy is a complete nutjob from what I can tell.

When you were at Western Hills did you and your friends ever drive by Crazy Agnes's place there on Granbury Road just (south I think) of where University Drive T's into Granbury Road? 

She painted the outside of her wooden privacy fence that faced Granbury Rd with big loud messages about aliens and about the manufacturing plant across the street taking over the world.  She built wooden pill boxes to stand guard in, had all kinds of signs everywhere and on top of her house..etc.

It was a daily event to make some kind of call there.  We had to help her off the roof a couple of times.  

Bless her heart I loved her spirit.  It was always interesting to see what she would have in place next time we drove by.

Rick

55 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

When you were at Western Hills did you and your friends ever drive by Crazy Agnes's place there on Granbury Road just (south I think) of where University Drive T's into Granbury Road? 

She painted the outside of her wooden privacy fence that faced Granbury Rd with big loud messages about aliens and about the manufacturing plant across the street taking over the world.  She built wooden pill boxes to stand guard in, had all kinds of signs everywhere and on top of her house..etc.

It was a daily event to make some kind of call there.  We had to help her off the roof a couple of times.  

Bless her heart I loved her spirit.  It was always interesting to see what she would have in place next time we drove by.

Rick

First time I have heard of this.

The pope once  declared the world was flat...... based on the passage..." spread the word to the four corners of the earth" ..... and we all know spheres don't have corners..

The Inquisition killed a lot of people that dared question the Pope on anything (infallible) .......There are still a lot of odd people out there that come up with some crazy conclusions including those who think the world began about 5000-6000 years ago and want that taught in public schools... [ unfortunately some have been  on the Texas State School Board .. may still be some ]. . I have even known of a religious group locally  that thinks "pep rallies" are idol worship... 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

The pope once  declared the world was flat...... based on the passage..." spread the word to the four corners of the earth" ..... and we all know spheres don't have corners..

The Inquisition killed a lot of people that dared question the Pope on anything (infallible) .......There are still a lot of odd people out there that come up with some crazy conclusions including those who think the world began about 5000-6000 years ago and want that taught in public schools... [ unfortunately some have been  on the Texas State School Board .. may still be some ]. . I have even known of a religious group locally  that thinks "pep rallies" are idol worship... 

I mostly thank God for the Inquisition because my ancestors were Huguenots forced to flee France for the Netherlands, then England, then America, because they were Protestants.  If not for the Inquisition, our family would likely still be living in godforsaken Europe.

(And, yet...all these centuries later, I married a Catholic.  A Mexican Catholic; but a Catholic, nonetheless.  Sorry, ancestors.)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Likely they might have come anyway... my father's side came because of poor economic conditions in the 1800's.. 

I have been in Europe a dozen times or so ... I would not describe it like you did... in fact Northern Europe is very modern and advanced...