MGB: UNT future football schedules update

Brett Vito

So, we already had payday games scheduled for 2020 and 2021.  Just curious, who is it that you would have scheduled for home games?

I can't believe it took so long to get HBU on the schedule.  Figured they would have been included in one of the games already on our schedule.  Rhode Island is a bit of a head scratcher though.  SFA, TSU, or PVA&M would seem to be better FCS choices.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Brett Vito said:

Should we even be booking FCS schools? Who is paying for RI to come down here? We started off with Houston, Indiana , UOhio. Can we not get a MWC, Mac team for a one on one?

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, rws69 said:

On a positive note, that is SIX home games in each of the next six years - seven if we host championship game.

With one that doesn't matter to anyone ever that UNT has to pay $400k a year for. 

So really 5 home games a year for the next 6 years.

Meanwhile, all of our conference foes but one are hosting P5s. 

FCS here we come!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 9

21 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

So, we already had payday games scheduled for 2020 and 2021.  Just curious, who is it that you would have scheduled for home games?

I can't believe it took so long to get HBU on the schedule.  Figured they would have been included in one of the games already on our schedule.  Rhode Island is a bit of a head scratcher though.  SFA, TSU, or PVA&M would seem to be better FCS choices.

Any one of your suggestions would have surpassed Houston Baptist (didn't know they even played football) or Rhode Island.  You can schedule FCS schools that actually have a pulse.  Playing the likes of these teams tells us as a fanbase that we can't compete against even decent Texas FCS teams.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Good thing we let Rick Villarreal hang around for 6 extra months to F up the schedule even more.

Good Lord.

Rick Villarreal has assured that UNT will continue to be the laughing stock of Texas College Football for the next 6 years. It's like UNT WANTS to move to FCS.

Alumni won't take this gone schedule seriously. Get ready to see about 4K a game on the alumni side for the foreseeable future.

This is exactly right. This are the same people that actually think join with the Sun belt is a good idea  because they are "regional".

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure why anyone is surprised, these are buy games to offset the away guarantee games.  Problem is, why would NT book any games before the new AD comes in.  My guess these games were already contracted before RV was terminated.

This is exactly why I think a 5 game home schedule ever other year with another home and away series with a fb division school is much better than this type of schedule.  

It's obvious RV booked them. The question is why was he allowed to do so. 

We are the conference joke for the next 6 years. You think the AAC or the MWC wants any part of this? And UNT better be careful. Conference mates don't tend to like it when you intentionally stay below other program's standards. UNT better watch it or they are going to find themselves in Idaho's position. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

48 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure why anyone is surprised, these are buy games to offset the away guarantee games.  Problem is, why would NT book any games before the new AD comes in.  My guess these games were already contracted before RV was terminated.

This is exactly why I think a 5 game home schedule ever other year with another home and away series with a fb division school is much better than this type of schedule.  

The downside is that we would have an even harder schedule each year with this approach.  We need wins and Mac was adamant about the FCS game to offset the bodybag game.  I guess on the bright side he was 4-1 in against FCS teams.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Silent Eagle said:

What's the cost to cancel? 

He probably didn't even put in an out clause. 

Way to go BOR and 17. Your facorite friend just F'd your university without lube. And you stood by and let it happen. 

Worst AD in UNT history.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 7

As I have said and done, I'll never step foot in Apogee for one of these wastes of time. FCS games literally provide zero to what the program needs. Seriously, why did we replace decrepit, toilet-bowl Fouts? We can't even get a home-and-home with Iowa or Mizzou with a brand new stadium...so much fail.

At any rate, you all can enjoy Texas Southern, Nicholls State, Portland State, Butt Cookman, Lamar, Incarnate Word, Abilene Christian, Houston Baptist, and Rhode Island. Those games either tell us nothing about our team or we embarras ourselves--plus, we give away money that  we apparently need desperately to bring in these teams.

UNT90 is so right--scheduling is the single worst thing this AD does...and that is really saying something.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 4