regional conferences

wardly

5 minutes ago, wardly said:

What are the chances that CUSA & Belt combine schools and separate into two regional conferences? If they do, what might they look like? [ULM and New Mexico State probably would not be included]

I like an idea like this, but there has to be a play off system included!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As long as North Texas is included with Southern Miss and LaTech while being in the same conference that picks up Astate and ULL then I am game. 

It would hurt to lose Marshall, but losing FIU & FAU would make it a neutral loss/gain. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Assuming Idaho, NMSU, and ULM aren't included in the deal, we get four of the remaining eight teams.  We keep the CUSA west division, and pick up the closest four sunbelt schools, and MTSU to balance things out.  Charlotte eventually replaces Marshall in the east when they bolt for greener pastures.

Our two new 10-team conferences look like this:

CUSA 3.5

UNT

LaTech

Rice

UTEP

ULL

Ark St

UTSA

Tex State

Southern Miss

MTSU

Karl Benson Wasteland (Misspelling intentional)

WKU

Marhshall

FiU

FaU

ODU

Charlotte

Appy St

Ga Southern

South Alabama

Troy

Since each conference has ten teams, they are each eligible to hold a conference championship game because the Cows of Texas at Austin say they are.  If the two conference champions meet at an agreed upon bowl game, preferably at a static location, then you've got yourself a mini four-team playoff from which the NCAA can go right piss off on itself.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

The NCAA will not give out any more autobids.   So no NEW conference will get one, at least for sure no G5 grouping of teams will have enough clout to get one.  So no march madness money, or any other tournament.  

So in order to swap teams you have to get the entire leadership (at the conference and university level) of two conferences to unanimously agree to a new arrangement.   It does't make sense for any subgroup of teams to get together and leave their respective conferences, because the new conference won't get an autobid.

Second big money issue is that CFB payout is per school, and the cap was just lowered to 10.   CUSA is at 14, SBC is about to be at nine.  If CUSA ends up with less than 14 teams, and SBC ends up with more than 9, then CUSA will make more per team and the SBC will make less.   The best payout solution is to drop 3 teams and have two 10 team conferences but 1) I don't think you could get enough votes to just abandon the bottom feeders, and 2) with our performance lately I don't think we want to go down that road, cause we have been one of the bottom feeders.

I don't think we are at the point that you could convince everyone in the SBC and CUSA to agree to some swap.  You for sure couldn't just drop anyone.    I also think the best solution is for SBC and CUSA to swap teams and become more regional, but I think we are years away from leadership thinking that is the best course.   

6 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Assuming Idaho, NMSU, and ULM aren't included in the deal, we get four of the remaining eight teams.  We keep the CUSA west division, and pick up the closest four sunbelt schools, and MTSU to balance things out.  Charlotte eventually replaces Marshall in the east when they bolt for greener pastures.

MUTS and WKU are so geographically close together that they need to be in the same conference / division.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Our two new 10-team conferences look like this:

CUSA 3.5

UNT

LaTech

Rice

UTEP

ULL

Ark St

UTSA

Tex State

Southern Miss

MTSU

Karl Benson Wasteland (Misspelling intentional)

WKU

Marhshall

FiU

FaU

ODU

Charlotte

Appy St

Ga Southern

South Alabama

Troy

These would be great conferences in the next EA NCAA Football game, but in real life I don't think there is any chance of the SBC leaving GaSt and ULM to die in the wasteland, and UAB is still a member of CUSA.   

WKU and MTSU IRL would demand to be in the same division.  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

These would be great conferences in the next EA NCAA Football game, but in real life I don't think there is any chance of the SBC leaving GaSt and ULM to die in the wasteland, and UAB is still a member of CUSA.   

WKU and MTSU IRL would demand to be in the same division.  

Totally forgot about UAB.  I was going by last year's standings to get my team pool.  GA St. I just flat out missed.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I think it's going to be a necessity in the future to G5s to do that...and by G5s, I mean every G5 conference not named MWC, AAC, and MAC. 

So, yes...I really think Sun Belt and C-USA need to sack up, look in the mirror and admit what they are, and rearrange accordingly. 

The MAC has already aligned geographically.  Same with the MWC.  I don't think there are any other G5 teams in either of their footprints.  

It's just the AAC, CUSA, and SBC that are having trouble with the concept.

Here is the current CUSBAC map:

gABBDnl.jpg

The real issues as I see them

1) No one can be left out.

2) No one is leaving, makes no sense for the P5 conferences to expand, they will probably contract.

3) SBC is going to have to be talked into reducing their per team CFB payout by taking more than 10 teams.

4) Both conferences have to be happy with the mix of teams they get.

So, what are the two new lineups that can be made out of this?

ETA: Also someone has to take UALR and UTA and BB only schools.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

The NCAA will not give out any more autobids.   So no NEW conference will get one, at least for sure no G5 grouping of teams will have enough clout to get one.  So no march madness money, or any other tournament.  

So in order to swap teams you have to get the entire leadership (at the conference and university level) of two conferences to unanimously agree to a new arrangement.   It does't make sense for any subgroup of teams to get together and leave their respective conferences, because the new conference won't get an autobid.

Second big money issue is that CFB payout is per school, and the cap was just lowered to 10.   CUSA is at 14, SBC is about to be at nine.  If CUSA ends up with less than 14 teams, and SBC ends up with more than 9, then CUSA will make more per team and the SBC will make less.   The best payout solution is to drop 3 teams and have two 10 team conferences but 1) I don't think you could get enough votes to just abandon the bottom feeders, and 2) with our performance lately I don't think we want to go down that road, cause we have been one of the bottom feeders.

I don't think we are at the point that you could convince everyone in the SBC and CUSA to agree to some swap.  You for sure couldn't just drop anyone.    I also think the best solution is for SBC and CUSA to swap teams and become more regional, but I think we are years away from leadership thinking that is the best course.   

What is kept the conf but restructured to make them more regional and had a playoff agreement ?

3 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

A few years ago we were talking about doing something with CUSA and the MWC.  Now we're talking about the Sun Belt and it seem like a big step on the wrong direction.  It is probably inevitable that some kind of consolidation will happen but we don't need to be rushing into it.   

I think it needs to happen sooner rather than later. The conference and the schools within must be proactive and dictate their fates rather than someone else. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

I think it needs to happen sooner rather than later. The conference and the schools within must be proactive and dictate their fates rather than someone else. 

With TV cut we do need to be proactive now! Even if you had to go to 12 to keep lower schools can you imagine the savings in travel! Also maybe increased attendance! A playoff system for a champion at the conf schools stadiums would be another large revenue steam!

15 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

With TV cut we do need to be proactive now! Even if you had to go to 12 to keep lower schools can you imagine the savings in travel! Also maybe increased attendance! A playoff system for a champion at the conf schools stadiums would be another large revenue steam!

Yep. G5 must make every action to insure relevance in the CFB world. 

22 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

It's not proactive to take an option today that will still be available years from now.  Unless it gets us some big benefit for TV contracts in two years (which it won't) then there's no rush.  It would be better for us to remain a level higher than the Sun Belt than lower ourselves to combine with them.  Much of the scheduling issues can be solved by going to divisions in all sports.  

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

It's not proactive to take an option today that will still be available years from now.  Unless it gets us some big benefit for TV contracts in two years (which it won't) then there's no rush.  It would be better for us to remain a level higher than the Sun Belt than lower ourselves to combine with them.  Much of the scheduling issues can be solved by going to divisions in all sports.  

Going to divisions? We are in divisions. There is no reason for us to go play in Carolina or Florida or for them to come play us. We need to disband and become something else. Create a Texas, Arkansas, and Louisiana conference for all I care. Every game aside from UTEP would be very accessible in this event. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

The real issues as I see them

1) No one can be left out.

2) No one is leaving, makes no sense for the P5 conferences to expand, they will probably contract.

3) SBC is going to have to be talked into reducing their per team CFB payout by taking more than 10 teams.

4) Both conferences have to be happy with the mix of teams they get.

So, what are the two new lineups that can be made out of this?

ETA: Also someone has to take UALR and UTA and BB only schools.

Look at my MS Paint artistry!  Bask in its glory!

8gfD7bz.jpg

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Completely forgot about the Chanticleers.  They will be provisional in 2016, join the SBC in 2017, and bowl eligible in 2018.

My beautifully rendered map is thwarted once again as it has 12 in the east and 11 in the west without Coastal.  Gotta move one more team west.  Southern Alabama?