Mean Green sighting

Marty

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Bet the House started out very very good, ate there at least once a week.

Quality and customer service has fallen a lot.  I've noticed a ton of staff changes.

Curious when you were there last?  I have been a few times in the last couple of months, and actually thought it had improved some from my initial visit in the old location.  I would rate their BBQ as good/very good depending on the meat. 

1 minute ago, LongJim said:

Curious when you were there last?  I have been a few times in the last couple of months, and actually thought it had improved some from my initial visit in the old location.  I would rate their BBQ as good/very good depending on the meat. 

Went there last month.   Like I said I went once a week for months, started going at the old location that didn't have enough seating.    Everything was great at first, but then at the same time I notice staff changes things began to go wrong.  Meat was sometimes hit or miss.  Orders were often wrong.  I would order brisket from the wet side, and get extremely dry brisket from the flat side.   I complained about it, they took it back and just added more dry meat from the wrong side of the brisket.  Either someone in the kitchen doesn't know the difference, or the wait staff didn't know or couldn't communicate it.  

I'll give it another try soon if you say they have improved.  

One thing I have noticed with BBQ joints is there is a fair amount of variability from day to day.   I can go one day and crown it the all time champ and be disappointed my next visit.  So it is best to not be overly harsh on a place after just one visit.   I tend to like them all to some degree but I will tell you this.  Pappas BBQ is pure garbage.  There is basically nothing good I can say about the place. 

7 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Went there last month.   Like I said I went once a week for months, started going at the old location that didn't have enough seating.    Everything was great at first, but then at the same time I notice staff changes things began to go wrong.  Meat was sometimes hit or miss.  Orders were often wrong.  I would order brisket from the wet side, and get extremely dry brisket from the flat side.   I complained about it, they took it back and just added more dry meat from the wrong side of the brisket.  Either someone in the kitchen doesn't know the difference, or the wait staff didn't know or couldn't communicate it.  

I'll give it another try soon if you say they have improved.  

Well, don't go on my recommendation!  I don't like to damn places with faint praise--especially Denton joints.  I have also seen them screw up orders, or flat forgot my friend's order completely on one visit, so I think they're still struggling a bit sometimes, but the brisket I had last week was damn good.  Ribs were a miss.  Sausage was ok.

13 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

One thing I have noticed with BBQ joints is there is a fair amount of variability from day to day.   I can go one day and crown it the all time champ and be disappointed my next visit.  So it is best to not be overly harsh on a place after just one visit.   I tend to like them all to some degree but I will tell you this.  Pappas BBQ is pure garbage.  There is basically nothing good I can say about the place. 

I am glad somebody else thinks pappas BBQ is trash. I like all their other places but hate the BBQ 

14 minutes ago, kingwoodgreen said:

I am glad somebody else thinks pappas BBQ is trash. I like all their other places but hate the BBQ 

Agreed it is strange considering I think the Pappas family does a great job with everything they touch.  No idea why they can't turn out at least mediocre BBQ. 

1 hour ago, HoustonEagle said:

Pappas BBQ is pure garbage.  There is basically nothing good I can say about the place. 

1 hour ago, kingwoodgreen said:

40 minutes ago, HoustonEagle said:

Agreed it is strange considering I think the Pappas family does a great job with everything they touch.  No idea why they can't turn out at least mediocre BBQ. 

I'm certainly no BBQ connoisseur, but I've had a lot worse than Pappa's - at least at the 59 & Bellaire location.  Of course, I've had a lot better, as well.

But I guess they over-did things about two weeks ago!  WE ARE UNFORTUNATELY CLOSED DUE TO A FIRE

My local favorite is The Swinging Door in Richmond.

For those in or passing through Fort Worth, Billy Oak Acres BBQ off Las Vegas trail is a must. Don't judge by appearances or else you will never step inside. They only serve as long as they have meat, so get there early.

BBQ brisquet and the ribs are fantastic. Chicken Fried Steak is good, also. Closed on Tuesdays.  

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Army of Dad said:

Dickeys doesn't pretend to be something it's not. We will have to disagree as I don't think it's horrible, but they won't be winning any best BBQ awards.

Bet the House is good, but they are no where near Lockhart good.

I may have to consider giving Hard 8 another try and follow @UNTexas advice and avoid the Coppell location.

You talking Lockhart Smokehouse or ACTUAL Lockhart Texas (Black's, Smitty's and Kreuz)??

Lockhart Smokehouse's brisket was meh but damn their regular sausage is da bomb. Because it's actually from Kreuz.
Bet The House's regular sausage is ok, but their jalapeño cheese sausage is OMG. Both of them come from Fischer's Meat Market up in Muenster.

16 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Bet the House started out very very good, ate there at least once a week.

Quality and customer service has fallen a lot.  I've noticed a ton of staff changes.

When I've spoken with Cody and Shawn that's the biggest thing they've said they've had to deal with, finding good people who can put as much care into the place as they do. Especially when you have to get there at like 2am to toss some briskets on.

Weekends are usually consistently good because Shawn, Cody and Jessica are all there. 

1 hour ago, TheWestie said:

You talking Lockhart Smokehouse or ACTUAL Lockhart Texas (Black's, Smitty's and Kreuz)??

Lockhart Smokehouse's brisket was meh but damn their regular sausage is da bomb. Because it's actually from Kreuz.
Bet The House's regular sausage is ok, but their jalapeño cheese sausage is OMG. Both of them come from Fischer's Meat Market up in Muenster.

When I've spoken with Cody and Shawn that's the biggest thing they've said they've had to deal with, finding good people who can put as much care into the place as they do. Especially when you have to get there at like 2am to toss some briskets on.

Weekends are usually consistently good because Shawn, Cody and Jessica are all there. 

I meant the famous trio from the city of Lockhart.

7 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I think of Memphis as dry rub, not that St. Louis ketchup crap.

Well then:

1PRNu5f.gif

___

21 hours ago, HoustonEagle said:

One thing I have noticed with BBQ joints is there is a fair amount of variability from day to day.  

Agreed.  It's really easy to make one excellent brisket.  It's really hard to make 20-50 really good briskets day after day.

• Upvote 1

Here's my take on BBQ-

-The Lockhart trio are hard to beat.

-Try Opie's in Spicewood; great 'que, but once they're out, they're out!

-Coopers in Llano is over rated

-Would like to try Franklins in Austin but refuse to wait in line for an hour or more at any restaurant

-Have heard Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church(referenced above) is really hard to beat 

• Upvote 1

In my humble opinion:

Overall favorite: Kreuz Market in Lockhart

Best bbq turkey: Black's in Lockhart. It can be really tough to barbecue turkey without drying it out, and they figured it out.

Best bbq Frito pie: Rusty Star outside Waco (brisket and some sauce instead of chili, beans, jalapeños, Fritos, onions)

Best chicken: Lately, probably Bet the House.

Best burnt ends: Kreuz Market when you can get 'em, but Salt Lick will do

Best beans: Smitty's in Lockhart (I don't really like their meats as much as I do the other two places in Lockhart)

Best ribs outside of Lockhart: Pizzitola's in Houston

Best sausage wraps: Probably Meyer's Smokehouse in Elgin. Southside Market changed theirs... ugh.

Hard Eight in Roanoke does a good job. Cooper's in Fort Worth is good, but man, that's a drive.

Riscky's must have changed their sausage recipe or provider. I had some at an event last weekend and it was like eating hot bologna covered in thin sauce. No bueno.

As for Dickey's, I'll take their food any old day, and twice on Sunday, over friggin' Spring Creek... ugh.

• Upvote 1