What does Benford need to stay at UNT?

What does Benford need to stay at UNT?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. What does Benford need in the 2016-17 season to get his contract renewed?

• 20+ wins, win conference, make it to the NCAA Tourney
    • 20+ wins, multiple conference tourney wins, make it to the NIT or other postseason tourney (Vegas 16?)
    • 20+ wins and conference tourney win
    • 20 wins
    • .500 record and advance to first round of conference tourney
    • He'll get renewed either way
    • He can't do anything. We just didn't want to fire all of our coaches in the same year

We all know how pissed we were when Tony Benford was retained for a fifth season shortly after the end of a rather disappointing 2015-16 one. What do you think it will take for Benford to see Year 6?

I think with the new direction a new (and hopefully better) athletic director will go, there will be higher standards placed on Benford and the men's hoops team. I think it will take over 20 wins and a deep run in the conference tournament with a possible berth in a postseason tournament like the Vegas 16 in order for him to keep his job. I think if Rick hadn't have stepped down, I think 19-20 wins and a choke in the first round of the conference tournament could have saved him his job.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think that winning 20+ games and getting into either the NCAAs or NIT would earn him a two-year extension, at most. Even then, the new AD probably won't keep him around, as he isn't his guy...

If RV was still here, it would have been much less of a bar, since he got an automatic extension, as well, if Benford got extended. But thankfully, those days are over.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

This is year five of a five-year contract, right?  I can't see him grasping lighting in a bottle and getting enough production to merit an extension.  Contract simply not renewed.  Nobody gets "fired."  Coaching situation sits in limbo through the spring while we await the expiration date.  Recruiting falls off a cliff for a year.  New guy comes in for the start of the 2017-2018 season, hopes for the best, ignores the current roster and schedule, and hits the road building a team with "his" guys.

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

This is year five of a five-year contract, right?  I can't see him grasping lighting in a bottle and getting enough production to merit an extension.  Contract simply not renewed.  Nobody gets "fired."  Coaching situation sits in limbo through the spring while we await the expiration date.  Recruiting falls off a cliff for a year.  New guy comes in for the start of the 2017-2018 season, hopes for the best, ignores the current roster and schedule, and hits the road building a team with "his" guys.

That would be a very foolish plan to ignore the current players and start over.  Combs is one of the best players NT has had in a long time.  Others like Lawson and Brice have big time potential.   Whatever you think of Benford coaching, his recruiting has been good the past couple of years.  

• Upvote 3

On 6/14/2016 at 4:34 PM, rws69 said:

Average attendance 5000 plus. Whatever causes that may earn an extension.

The only performance on the court that could draw 5,000 people per game would be in VERY poor taste!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

He has killed our chances in games by refusing to play man defense. Maybe the team is not disciplined enough, but I know they're athletic enough. That's what they need to be working on in practice. Those zone defenses allowed way too many open 3-pointers and way too many offensive rebounds. If our players aren't guarding the shooters or in position for a rebound, then what the hell are they doing?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, wardly said:

He must win 20+games, excluding cupcakes, and go deep in conference tournament to have any chance of retaining his job. The question I have is that while he can recruit, can he coach? History says no.

So he needs to win something more along the lines of 24 to 25 games?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the answer is now a lot different than it was before the AD change.  People assume it will be bad for Benford that a new AD is coming in, I don't.   He is getting an one year audition to be retained.  His last four lamentable years are now not nearly as important.   

The new AD is not likely to care about him messing up the potentially best team in NT history, and the sharp decline in attendance because of that.    He will be judged on what happens this season, and a strong showing will probably get a new contract.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

I think the answer is now a lot different than it was before the AD change.  People assume it will be bad for Benford that a new AD is coming in, I don't.   He is getting an one year audition to be retained.  His last four lamentable years are now not nearly as important.   

The new AD is not likely to care about him messing up the potentially best team in NT history, and the sharp decline in attendance because of that.    He will be judged on what happens this season, and a strong showing will probably get a new contract.   

So our new AD is not going to be capable of looking up his overall record?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

potentially best team in NT history???

How can that possibly be with a very large hole in the middle? (that wasn't addressed this off-season) Brice can't stay on the court for more than 18-20 minutes. The Temara kid is not a replacement for Eric Katenda in the middle.

This team should be entertaining but I don't see much more than 18 wins. A good number of schools also returns a nucleus as well. 18 wins may get Benford a 2 year deal based on how competitive this team is and what the attendance looks like. He's either not renewed or given 2 years. He also will not be released prior to the 2nd semester before Keith Frazier and Ryan Woolridge are eligible.

Edited by Cooley
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Cooley said:

The Temara kid is not a replacement for Eric Katenda in the middle.

Before Katenda stepped foot on the court in a mean green jersey everybody on this board questioned why we recruited a partially blind player and now he is so good that we can't possibly have a replacement for him on our current roster? Big fan of Katenda as I usually support french athletes since I am french myself but give the Temara kid a chance...

• Upvote 2