MGB: Terms of Villarreal's buyout

Brett Vito

2 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

I wouldn't call it money "well spent". That is a lot of money just get him to walk away. I would think we could have just reassigned him to another department within the university until his contract expired. If that wasn't possible, then I'd call it "money that had to be spent". Time to move on, and find the best possible AD to move our programs forward.

My company let go of one of its executives with a $500k buyout.  I hate that she got the money, but the company will come out ahead because her incompetence cost the company 100x more than that over the prior years.

It's like the old joke, why is divorce so expensive?  Because it's worth it.  (Says the guy having his 20th anniversary this year)

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, baberuthbomber8 said:

Do we know is covering what UNT completely owed him? or this a fraction of what we was owed?

His contract ran through Feb 2018.,

His base pay was $275,000 + ~10K in allowances.  He received $100k bonuses in 2013, 2014 and 2015.  Not sure if he was scheduled to get them in 2016 and 2017.

He still had ~20 months left of base salary, which comes out to ~$310,000.  Looks like the university paid him more than what he had left on his base contract to get him out the door.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Over 25K a month over the next 15 months. I'm flabbergasted at the notion that he was able to actually talk someone into giving him that kind of money. It's not money well spent, it's money horribly wasted. Just literally set on fire as far as I'm concerned. Good riddance and never come back to this great university again, ever. 

Resurrect "Lock The Gate", with a twist. Lock him out!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

His contract ran through Feb 2018.,

His base pay was $275,000 + ~10K in allowances.  He received $100k bonuses in 2013, 2014 and 2015.  Not sure if he was scheduled to get them in 2016 and 2017.

He still had ~20 months left of base salary, which comes out to ~$310,000.  Looks like the university paid him more than what he had left on his base contract to get him out the door.

Great golden parachute and retirement for someone who has sucked at his job the last 5 years.

Only at UNT

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

47 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Only at UNT?  Please, this happens at just about any and all government jobs anywhere in the country.

The man was under contract.  We either wait for it to expire (allowing him to continue to run the department) or we come to a settlement to get him away from the decision making room.

For someone all gung ho about him needing to removed, your now going to bitch about how it was made to happen?   If you don't want to know or like how the sausage is made, then get out of the damn kitchen.

You don't have to make sure he receives a salary FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE! That's what happened here. Good ole boys taking care of a good ole boy.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 12

You have three options. 1. Ride out the contract.  Many feel that was not a viable option. 2. Negotiate a settlement.  Which was done.  3.  Fire RV.  He has a contract.  In order to fire him, UNT would have to prove he was in violation of the contract.  Since according to Cerebus he was given a bonus in 2015, that would be hard to prove.  Unless his contract said something like "AD or assignment subject to the president" it would be hard to reassign him if he objected.  For those wanting RVgone immediately, you "cannot have your cake and eateth too.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Graddean said:

You have three options. 1. Ride out the contract.  Many feel that was not a viable option. 2. Negotiate a settlement.  Which was done.  3.  Fire RV.  He has a contract.  In order to fire him, UNT would have to prove he was in violation of the contract.  Since according to Cerebus he was given a bonus in 2015, that would be hard to prove.  Unless his contract said something like "AD or assignment subject to the president" it would be hard to reassign him if he objected.  For those wanting RVgone immediately, you "cannot have your cake and eateth too.

Yes, you can. You fire him and pay out his contract. If he wants a retirement, he can go be associate AD for some other Texas university, if any will hire him. 

UNT got yet again hustled by the hustler. I don't know how much of the state retirement UNT will be responsible for, maybe @Cerebus can answer that question. 

To say there wasn't another option is dishonest. There was. Fire him, call it what it is publicly, and pay the man to go away. It's at most an extra 100k. 

Although it is fitting that RV goes out on a "I resigned" lie. That's about lie #1,453,856 he has told this fan base.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Yes, you can. You fire him and pay out his contract. If he wants a retirement, he can go be associate AD for some other Texas university, if any will hire him. 

UNT got yet again hustled by the hustler. I don't know how much of the state retirement UNT will be responsible for, maybe @Cerebus can answer that question. 

To say there wasn't another option is dishonest. There was. Fire him, call it what it is publicly, and pay the man to go away. It's at most an extra 100k. 

Although it is fitting that RV goes out on a "I resigned" lie. That's about lie #1,453,856 he has told this fan base.

And on what basis would you fire him, and before you list a summary of about 5000 posts; think about all the good reviews someone has that has been on the job for over 15 years and got multiple contract extensions.  A lawyer would eat NT up if they tried to do what you propose.   

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

And on what basis would you fire him, and before you list a summary of about 5000 posts; think about all the good reviews someone has that has been on the job for over 15 years and got multiple contract extensions.  A lawyer would eat NT up if they tried to do what you propose.   

No he wouldn't. He couldn't. RV doesn't have a God given right to a job at UNT. He has a right to the money in the contract. That is it. Pay him the money and show him the door. He has no recourse.

You are aware that Mac isn't coaching anymore and didn't coach the next day after Portland St, right? Same thing. Pay him to go away.

Instead, UNT provided him a retirement. The Hattiesburg Hustler was always really good at one ting: protecting the Hattiesburg Hustler. Looks like that happened with this hustle of a "buy out," also.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

No he wouldn't. He couldn't. RV doesn't have a God given right to a job at UNT. He has a right to the money in the contract. That is it. Pay him the money and show him the door. He has no recourse.

You are aware that Mac isn't coaching anymore and didn't coach the next day after Portland St, right? Same thing. Pay him to go away.

Instead, UNT provided him a retirement. The Hattiesburg Hustler was always really good at one ting: protecting the Hattiesburg Hustler. Looks like that happened with this hustle of a "buy out," also.

Mac is still getting his monthly salary until his contract runs out.  Not sure why that is a termination, but RV is a retirement in your mind.   RV's was obviously not a quick decision after the most horrible of game performances like Mac's, but a negotiated settlement with RV holding most of the cards.  The fact that RV gets to remain an extra month in transition doesn't change anything.  

9 hours ago, UNT90 said:

If TRS works like ERS then RV has been paying a % of his salary to TRS for all 16 years of his employment. UNT has also had to pay a similar % of his salary to TRS for his entire employment. Whether RV gets fired, resigns, or otherwise, he will either reach the "rule of 80" (years of service + age = 80) or he will reach age 60. RV will get to retire at age 60 regardless of how much longer he works here. The difference is that if he hits rule of 80 he will get to collect pension checks immediately, if he doesn't, he won't be able to collect pension checks until he hits age 60. NT will not be responsible for any part of the pension payments, they will be paid by TRS, just like Mack Brown's massive payments will be.

5 hours ago, Silent Eagle said:

I suppose the contract supersedes the fact that Texas is an at will employment state. If not, game over.  He's gone, the end justifies the means. 

A contract does give you rights that an "at will" employee does not have.  As GrandGreen pointed out, the legal battle that might ensue could be much more costly than the settlement.

16 minutes ago, Graddean said:

A contract does give you rights that an "at will" employee does not have.  As GrandGreen pointed out, the legal battle that might ensue could be much more costly than the settlement.

There is no legal battle. This shows a really bad lack of knowledgable. RV has a right to the money in the contract, not the position of AD. That's why you see many universities "re-assign" employees that they want to fire. And no, you don't need a "for cause" element to do this. 

UNT decided to take care of a good ole boy, plain and simple. Building personal relationships that benefit the hustler has been his strength. Too bad he didn't put more effort into building relationships that benefitted UNT athletics. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

15 hours ago, UNT90 said:

You don't have to make sure he receives a salary FOR THE REST OF HIS LIFE! That's what happened here. Good ole boys taking care of a good ole boy.

So you are going to pay the man either way.  1) you can outright fire him and publicly admonish him 2) you let him bow out gracefully.  Either way he is done.  If I'm looking for a place of employment as a future AD and have a decision between the 2 scenarios (all other things being equal) i choose the place that doesn't poop on me out the door if things don't go right.

You can be upset all you want (cuz that is what you do, no matter the scenario) but the man deserved some of the kid glove treatment for the good he did do in the past 15 years.  His ENTIRE term was not a bad.  The last few years were more bad than good, but it wasn't a 100% loss either.  I was not a fan of his for most of his tenure but that doesnt mean i wanted him run out tarred and feathered.  

2 hours ago, UNT90 said:

There is no legal battle. This shows a really bad lack of knowledgable. RV has a right to the money in the contract, not the position of AD. That's why you see many universities "re-assign" employees that they want to fire. And no, you don't need a "for cause" element to do this. 

UNT decided to take care of a good ole boy, plain and simple. Building personal relationships that benefit the hustler has been his strength. Too bad he didn't put more effort into building relationships that benefitted UNT athletics. 

There isn't a legal battle because of the settlement.  Not sure why that is so hard for you to understand.  If they tried to fire him with cause (so to not have to pay him) then YES there would be a legal battle.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

There isn't a legal battle because of the settlement.  Not sure why that is so hard for you to understand.  If they tried to fire him with cause (so to not have to pay him) then YES there would be a legal battle.

I'm not advocating firing him for cause. I'm advocating cutting ties now, pay him now and be done.

And no, he doesn't deserve "kid glove" treatment for destroying football and basketball and putting this AD in a position from which it may never recover, and doing it in the most critical period in college athletic history. 

He deserved to be fired, paid to go away, and not be assured a retirement he didn't earn.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I'm not advocating firing him for cause. I'm advocating cutting ties now, pay him now and be done.

And no, he doesn't deserve "kid glove" treatment for destroying football and basketball and putting this AD in a position from which it may never recover, and doing it in the most critical period in college athletic history. 

He deserved to be fired, paid to go away, and not be assured a retirement he didn't earn.

You hate the man, we all get it.  But if you think that the way this was handled is isolated to only UNT then your have your head so far in the sand even your feet can't see daylight.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

You hate the man, we all get it.  But if you think that the way this was handled is isolated to only UNT then your have your head so far in the sand even your feet can't see daylight.

I don't know the man. I hate his job performance and don't think he should be rewarded a lifetime check for a crappy, incomplete job performance. 

And no, this isn't a kin to any other institution. No other institution keeps a failure of an AD around for 15 years and then makes sure he gets to retirement because he is such a good guy. It's ridiculous behavior from a large state university

Usually the people who accuse me of "hating" Rick Villarreal are the people who have a personal relationship with him. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 6