MGB: Terms of Villarreal's buyout

Brett Vito

Over 25K a month over the next 15 months. I'm flabbergasted at the notion that he was able to actually talk someone into giving him that kind of money. It's not money well spent, it's money horribly wasted. Just literally set on fire as far as I'm concerned. Good riddance and never come back to this great university again, ever. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Over 25K a month over the next 15 months. I'm flabbergasted at the notion that he was able to actually talk someone into giving him that kind of money. It's not money well spent, it's money horrible wasted. Just literally set on fire as far as I'm concerned. Good riddance and never come back to this great university again, ever. 

I see a "Ricky V's" sports bar and buffet in his future. In Hattiesburg of course. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Over 25K a month over the next 15 months. I'm flabbergasted at the notion that he was able to actually talk someone into giving him that kind of money. It's not money well spent, it's money horribly wasted. Just literally set on fire as far as I'm concerned. Good riddance and never come back to this great university again, ever. 

There is no talking and giving it is called contracts. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, foutsrouts said:

Except that RV played UNT.

And this is what infuriates me. Then he gets to walk away on terms of a "mutual decision" while latching onto UNT's teat for another 15 months. If we're paying this douche bag to kick rocks then call it a FIRING because that's exactly what it is. Instead, outsiders could chalk this up as something that it isn't. A firing of this magnitude gives the program credibility and sets standards of how not to suck. UNT just keeps doing UNT type things. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

$ well spent!!

I wouldn't call it money "well spent". That is a lot of money just get him to walk away. I would think we could have just reassigned him to another department within the university until his contract expired. If that wasn't possible, then I'd call it "money that had to be spent". Time to move on, and find the best possible AD to move our programs forward.

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I personally enjoyed the headline more than the article itself.

Well played Vito, well played...

"UNT playing Rick Villarreal $384,906 in buyout "

Updated 

1 hour ago, Brett Vito said:

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Brett Vito said:

What Baylor is going to realize as was represented by penn st.. Is wrongfull termination lawsuits. At Penn it is millions in settlement not including att fees. I am sure this was negotiated with these factors in mind. You can't fire people like you use to!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

What people are missing is that he will basically remain an employee of UNT for the next 15 months, which gets him to a state retirement.

Good ole boys taking care of their own. 

I would put odds at about 70% that Dickenson is your next AD.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 10

Just now, UNT90 said:

What people are missing is that he will basically remain an employee of UNT for the next 15 months, which gets him to a state retirement.

Good ole boys taking care of their own. 

I would put odds at about 70% that Dickenson is your next AD.

The more things change, the more they remain the same.

This is unlikely. If true, I'm handing in my Mean Green resignation. 

• Upvote 3

@Brett Vito is there any way to determine if he is being retained in any capacity as a UNT employee?  Even just on paper? I'm assuming that is what monthly payments do? Is he still receiving health benefits? 

Will this get him to the state retirement that he has been holding on for?

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

The semantics are interesting.  Resignation combined with buyout aren't usually two terms you see together.  Looks like a mutually beneficial negotiation that saves face for everybody.  I don't mind that he'll likely get his pension, which I don't see mentioned in any of this.  

Paying him monthly reeks of keeping him as an employee in order to collect retirement.

i do have a problem with it. It's friends protecting friends yet again and shows nothing has changed at Good Ole Boy U. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 7

28 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

@Brett Vito is there any way to determine if he is being retained in any capacity as a UNT employee?  Even just on paper? I'm assuming that is what monthly payments do? Is he still receiving health benefits? 

Will this get him to the state retirement that he has been holding on for?

Paying him monthly reeks of keeping him as an employee in order to collect retirement.

i do have a problem with it. It's friends protecting friends yet again and shows nothing has changed at Good Ole Boy U. 

Pension comes from being a state employee! I am sure that was taken into consideration! 

• Upvote 2