Mattress Mac

untjim1995

Saw this on Facebook today. I wonder if the next AD will try to get him on board again to at least show us as a team or school he would be interested again. If not, the practice fields are up for bidding again...still can't believe RV let him name the fields after the Dickster after Mattress Mac threw a fit.

BTW, it doesn't show on here, but below this on his Facebook bio, he shows that he played football at both UT and at North Texas, so he does use us to look better on his resume...but has no interest in our school. 

image.png

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

He "played for both schools (UT and NT) between 1969-1970"...???

I wonder how many games Mattress MaC played at Texas ? 

Do the naming rights for practice fields and/or other items expire ?  I always thought NT was held hostage over this.  I mean, he made a gift.  Once the gift is given, Isn't it the gift receiver's property ?  Or maybe this was a payout over several years and the Athletic Dept. allowed the threat to ensure NT got the gift ($1mil).  To this day I hate to look at that sign.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Saw this on Facebook today. I wonder if the next AD will try to get him on board again to at least show us as a team or school he would be interested again. If not, the practice fields are up for bidding again...still can't believe RV let him name the fields after the Dickster after Mattress Mac threw a fit.

They are?  Where did you get this idea?

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

BTW, it doesn't show on here, but below this on his Facebook bio, he shows that he played football at both UT and at North Texas, so he does use us to look better on his resume...but has no interest in our school. 

image.png

McIngvale was a big donor to NT until Dickey was fired.   Dickey should have been fired, but now that RV is gone; I assume NT will try again to get in his good graces.  

By the way, he was a good not great player at NT.  He donated a lot when Dickey was here, in fact he was probably the biggest donor ever to NT athletics at the time.  

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, greenjoe said:

Do the naming rights for practice fields and/or other items expire ?  I always thought NT was held hostage over this.  I mean, he made a gift.  Once the gift is given, Isn't it the gift receiver's property ?  Or maybe this was a payout over several years and the Athletic Dept. allowed the threat to ensure NT got the gift ($1mil). 

Depends on the legal agreement that outlines the terms of the gift. Don't know the specifics about Dickey Practice Facility, Lovelace Stadium, Warranch Tennis Complex or the Ernie K basketball practice gym.

Was the Snake Pit renamed after Ken Bahnsen after he gave a big gift to athletics?

What about Fouts too? It was originally called "Eagle Stadium" from when it opened in 1952 until 1954, when it was renamed after Theron Fouts retired as Athletic Director. I dunno if it was just an honorific thing then or if it was because he made a donation. 

Same goes for every building named after people on campus:

Bain Hall: Named after Dr. Wilfred C. Bain, First head of Music Department 

Bruce Hall: Named after Dr. William Herschel Bruce. President of North Texas State Normal College 1906-1923

Chilton Hall: Named after Joshua Crittenden Chilton. Established Texas Normal College & Teacher Training Inst, May 8, 1890. President thru 1893

Clark Hall: Named after Ms. Edith L. Clark, first Dean of Women, 1916-1944

Crumley Hall: Named after John Jackson Crumley, president from 1893-1884. Put the "North" in North Texas Normal College

Curry HallNamed after Dr. O.J. Curry, first dean of College of Business Administration, 1946-1974

Hurley Administration Building: Named after UNT President Alfred F. Hurley, who took us from NTSU to UNT.

Kendall Hall (First building and second building -The Sweat Box, both RIP): Named after Joel Sutton Kendall, President from 1899-1906.

Kerr Hall: Named after S.A. Kerr, Vice-chairman of the Board of Regents, 1949-1967

Marquis Hall: Named after Dr. Robert Lincoln Marquis, President of North Texas State Teachers College, 1923-1934

Mathews Hall: Named after Dr. James Carl Matthews, first dean of the School of Education, first vice-president of the teachers college, and president of the university, 1951-1968

McConnell Hall: Named after Dr. W. Joseph McConnell, president of the teachers college and the state college, 1934-1951

Pohl Rec Center: Named after President Norval Pohl, 2000-2006.

Scoular Hall (RIP): Named after For Dr. Florence I. Scoular, first dean of the School of Home Economics, 1946

Stovall Hall (RIP): Named after Dr. Floyd Stovall, who served as director of the English Department and first dean of the College of Arts & Sciences in 1946

Terrill Hall: Named after Menter B. Terrill, president of the private North Texas Normal College from 1894 until it became a state normal college in 1901

Willis Library: Named after A. M. Willis of Longview, member of the Board of Regents, 1965-1983, chairman from 1969-1983

Wooten Hall: Named after Benjamin Harrison Wooten of Dallas, chairman of the Board of Regents, 1949-1969

• Upvote 1

Mattress Mac hasn't completely removed himself from NT.  He attended an event at an influential alum's house the night before the FB game at Rice two years ago.  I wasn't at the event before the BB game at Rice this spring, but it wouldn't surprise me if he attended that.

I still think that the "high road" for him would have been to name the practice fields for Andrew Smith.  The relationship between Mac and DD is well know, but there's probably a lot of newer GMG members who aren't aware of the relationship between Mac, Andrew, and Andrew's family, and that Mac paid for the entire FB team to be flown down to attend Andrew's funeral in Bay City.

• Upvote 1

Now that some years have passed since his acrimonious departure, I'm fine with the practice fields being named after Dickey. He did a lot for football in the time he was here. The winning streak and bowl win were great achievements for a program that had suffered for so long.

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, TheWestie said:

Depends on the legal agreement that outlines the terms of the gift. Don't know the specifics about Dickey Practice Facility, Lovelace Stadium, Warranch Tennis Complex or the Ernie K basketball practice gym.

Was the Snake Pit renamed after Ken Bahnsen after he gave a big gift to athletics?

What about Fouts too? It was originally called "Eagle Stadium" from when it opened in 1952 until 1954, when it was renamed after Theron Fouts retired as Athletic Director. I dunno if it was just an honorific thing then or if it was because he made a donation. 

Same goes for every building named after people on campus:

Bain Hall: Named after Dr. Wilfred C. Bain, First head of Music Department 

Bruce Hall: Named after Dr. William Herschel Bruce. President of North Texas State Normal College 1906-1923

Chilton Hall: Named after Joshua Crittenden Chilton. Established Texas Normal College & Teacher Training Inst, May 8, 1890. President thru 1893

Clark Hall: Named after Ms. Edith L. Clark, first Dean of Women, 1916-1944

Crumley Hall: Named after John Jackson Crumley, president from 1893-1884. Put the "North" in North Texas Normal College

Curry HallNamed after Dr. O.J. Curry, first dean of College of Business Administration, 1946-1974

Hurley Administration Building: Named after UNT President Alfred F. Hurley, who took us from NTSU to UNT.

Kendall Hall (First building and second building -The Sweat Box, both RIP): Named after Joel Sutton Kendall, President from 1899-1906.

Kerr Hall: Named after S.A. Kerr, Vice-chairman of the Board of Regents, 1949-1967

Marquis Hall: Named after Dr. Robert Lincoln Marquis, President of North Texas State Teachers College, 1923-1934

Mathews Hall: Named after Dr. James Carl Matthews, first dean of the School of Education, first vice-president of the teachers college, and president of the university, 1951-1968

McConnell Hall: Named after Dr. W. Joseph McConnell, president of the teachers college and the state college, 1934-1951

Pohl Rec Center: Named after President Norval Pohl, 2000-2006.

Scoular Hall (RIP): Named after For Dr. Florence I. Scoular, first dean of the School of Home Economics, 1946

Stovall Hall (RIP): Named after Dr. Floyd Stovall, who served as director of the English Department and first dean of the College of Arts & Sciences in 1946

Terrill Hall: Named after Menter B. Terrill, president of the private North Texas Normal College from 1894 until it became a state normal college in 1901

Willis Library: Named after A. M. Willis of Longview, member of the Board of Regents, 1965-1983, chairman from 1969-1983

Wooten Hall: Named after Benjamin Harrison Wooten of Dallas, chairman of the Board of Regents, 1949-1969

Not sure what your point is.  Most of these buildings were built long before big donors were honored with name buildings.  Also most were primarily built with state funds so the naming was done to honor past leaders of the university.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

On June 10, 2016 at 5:48 PM, UNTLifer said:

They are?  Where did you get this idea?

I got it from common sense to not have anything on your athletic department named for a losing coach who only has his name on that sign because we were held hostage by the donor giving us a million dollars and threatening to take it back. Those fields should be named after either Hayden Fry or Mean Joe Greene. This is an easy thing to correct if the next AD is competent and sees value in the naming rights of those fields. Hell, the field on Apogee could just as easily be named after a huge donor if the right AD gets in there and makes some improvement with the alumni.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I got it from common sense to not have anything on your athletic department named for a losing coach who only has his name on that sign because we were held hostage by the donor giving us a million dollars and threatening to take it back. Those fields should be named after either Hayden Fry or Mean Joe Greene. This is an easy thing to correct if the next AD is competent and sees value in the naming rights of those fields. Hell, the field on Apogee could just as easily be named after a huge donor if the right AD gets in there and makes some improvement with the alumni.

He flat out paid for the practice fields themselves, and part of the deal was that they would be named after DD.  If we want our practice fields to be named after someone else, we'll need to tear those out and start over.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He flat out paid for the practice fields themselves, and part of the deal was that they would be named after DD.  If we want our practice fields to be named after someone else, we'll need to tear those out and start over.

No we wouldn't...seriously, why we need to tear those out and start over because someone else bid again on the naming rights of a practice field? Because that donor is no longer around and doesn't even mention us as an interest anymore...if he can come back into the fold with a new AD, then we can keep it as is. If not, let us get some more revenue and reopen that naming process again. 

I don't think you all understand how ridiculous it is that those fields are named after a coach who had a 42-64 record here and only had three winning seasons out of nine. And that isn't even talking about the ridiculous interactions he had with the fans and media. Mattress Mac is the only reason that name is there and he hasn't given back to the athletic department since the Dickster was fired, which is now approaching 10 years ago. 

• Downvote 3

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

No we wouldn't...seriously, why we need to tear those out and start over because someone else bid again on the naming rights of a practice field? Because that donor is no longer around and doesn't even mention us as an interest anymore...if he can come back into the fold with a new AD, then we can keep it as is. If not, let us get some more revenue and reopen that naming process again. 

I don't think you all understand how ridiculous it is that those fields are named after a coach who had a 42-64 record here and only had three winning seasons out of nine. And that isn't even talking about the ridiculous interactions he had with the fans and media. Mattress Mac is the only reason that name is there and he hasn't given back to the athletic department since the Dickster was fired, which is now approaching 10 years ago. 

He didn't just pay for "naming rights," as was done with Apogee.  He paid for the entire thing.  If I had my druthers, I would not have named the fields after DD.  Of course, neither would RV.  But it doesn't matter--part of the deal if we wanted to get the money from Mattress Mac to build the fields was that the fields would be named after DD, and a deal's a deal.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Stix said:

there's probably a lot of newer GMG members who aren't aware of the relationship between Mac, Andrew, and Andrew's family,

I got confused for a sec because I wasn't here for Andrew Smith's time. I thought you were talking about these dudes.

24_IowaRootsPRINThoroz-e1443076249147.jp

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I don't think you all understand how ridiculous it is that those fields are named after a coach who had a 42-64 record here and only had three winning seasons out of nine.

I don't think it's ridiculous to honor a coach whose team won 26 consecutive conference games, four consecutive conference titles, our first bowl trip in 42 years and our first bowl victory in school history.

As long as Mattress Mac is alive, it would be idiotic to take the practice field name away. He has a net worth of $75 million and might change his mind and begin supporting UNT again someday.

And if you take the name away, you tell other big money donors we don't honor our commitments to them.

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I got confused for a sec because I wasn't here for Andrew Smith's time. I thought you were talking about these dudes.

Nope.  I take it you've sorted it all out.  Here's the NT Daily article from 2004:

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth145150/m1/9/