Under the radar recruits in Texas

dfw175

I think UNT could get the DT from Lancaster and the DT from Kennedale.  SMU is full on their defensive commits regard the Lancaster DT and UNT is a lot closer to home for the Kennedale DT than Army, Navy or Air Force..  These would be monster lands imo and they could anchor the UNT defensive line for years to come.  And it is do-able.

Edited by dfw175
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Ok here it goes.  A run down of where we stand on these kids.  This staff has a really good grasp of just about everything except East Texas and I would assume that is because they won't let Perry put offers out there yet.  They want to see these kids with their eyes first to make sure Perry is seeing what they want to see.

1. Mohamed Sanogo, LB, Plano West (no offer yet has 8 offers and all are winnable against on the recruiting trail) 

7. Manase Mose, OL (G/C), Euless Trinity (FINALLY!!) 

12. Jaylin Nelson, QB/ATH, Duncanville 

15. Segun Ijiyera, OL/Possible DT, Lake Dallas 

17. Seth Scott, OL, Skyline 

There are 4-5 Kids on this list we have not offered and I really hope we get them an offer while out in East Texas camping. 

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Did you get to watch any of them play?

No, just passing along the article.

Here is another kid that just switched positions from LB to DT and is an under the radar recruit DT at 6'1 275.  He won D Line MVP honors at the East Texas Scout combine.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1672626-clips-of-etx-combine-d-line-mvp

Edited by dfw175

Why are we not on these two DT's?  I also like Phillips from Lufkin and Davis from Trinity.  That ILB from Plano West will blow up this year.  Minnieweather, the RB from North Mesquite, has an impressive video, but he appears to be strictly a North and South type runner.  Reminds me a little of Byrd with his running style. 

4 hours ago, dfw175 said:

Here is another kid that just switched positions from LB to DT and is an under the radar recruit at 6'1 275.  He won MVP honors at the East Texas Scout combine.

http://www.scout.com/college/football/recruiting/story/1672626-clips-of-etx-combine-d-line-mvp

in that 30 second clip it has of him, in those 3 plays he played and didn't give up.. but i think if he played lower in his stance he could be a nice add

minnieweather, I could see him as that Rover/5th DB possibly?

Hawkins- I would like to see us get, if anything just for his size and what we could do with him in the endzone... but he could put on 20-30 Lbs and fill out as well...

Gjemar, would be a nice add and we could beat out the Military Acad. hopefully, but another good sign is that TCU and A&M have talked to the kid as well but have not offered... 

John Davis- Would like to try and pair davis and the OL from trinity, that could be a start to a pretty good pipeline which would be great for UNT

But would be great if we could land 4/5 if we landed more that would be even better

5 hours ago, dfw175 said:

Here is another kid that just switched positions from LB to DT and is an under the radar recruit at 6'1 275.  He won MVP honors at the East Texas Scout combine.

Might be a great candidate for the hybrid position on D?

First, under Mac anyone with any offers would be a big get.  However, I am not sold on 247 being that great of identifier of talent and I trust the current staff a lot more to evaluate players than 247.  

I hope the days are quickly ending were NT has to battle for low offer players and fans think it is a recruiting coup to beat out the service academies.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

First, under Mac anyone with any offers would be a big get.  However, I am not sold on 247 being that great of identifier of talent and I trust the current staff a lot more to evaluate players than 247.  

I hope the days are quickly ending were NT has to battle for low offer players and fans think it is a recruiting coup to beat out the service academies.  

I don't disagree on much here except beating out Service Academies can be difficult.  If said Academy pitches the right stuff they're a hard sell to beat.  Hey kid, come here go through Football for 5 years get your free ride and when you graduate you'll be in some leadership position making 6 figures.  Not a bad enticement.  I believe Navy has the best selling as far as that goes for $$ right away. 

20 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Usually at most schools they always say they trust the staff even before they have any results from their recruiting.  EJ is pretty good on identified talent and has a good track record of identifying under the radar players over the years.  Probably need to wait to see how a few of their recruits turn out before trusting or not trusting in the current staff.  That being said we'll find out soon one way or the other how this current staff recruits at UNT.

6 hours ago, GMG24 said:

I don't disagree on much here except beating out Service Academies can be difficult.  If said Academy pitches the right stuff they're a hard sell to beat.  Hey kid, come here go through Football for 5 years get your free ride and when you graduate you'll be in some leadership position making 6 figures.  Not a bad enticement.  I believe Navy has the best selling as far as that goes for $$ right away. 

Unless they have changed, service academies don't offer traditional ships and can sign a lot more players than other schools are limited to.   However, most go to prep schools and a great number are weeded out after that one year.  For the most part they are not competitive recruiting against d1 schools although as stated before they recruit a lot of mostly borderline players.