Finishing out wingzone into bowl

Stan R

First, I would try to get the wing sponsored. The Buffalo Wild Wingzone sounds good. Discounted wings after the game. Seems like a natural fit. Doesn't seem like a hard sale. Let them name the price. Some sponsorship is better than none at all. Raise the price in a couple of years when wingstop wants a piece of the action.

Why not?

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, GangGreen said:

First, I would try to get the wing sponsored. The Buffalo Wild Wingzone sounds good. Discounted wings after the game. Seems like a natural fit. Doesn't seem like a hard sale. Let them name the price. Some sponsorship is better than none at all. Raise the price in a couple of years when wingstop wants a piece of the action.

Why not?

I like it, but it might be a little awkward if our new AD is competent enough to get Colorado into Apogee.

On June 7, 2016 at 9:38 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think the idea was to remove the wingzone altogether whenever Apogee is ready to be expanded.   Hence the steel beams rather than concrete like the rest of the stadium.

I hope so, and I hope they put the Video board back there where it was suppose to be in the first place.

Stupid asses.  They were told NOT to build that section like that Because it was going to force a couple of thousand to have to sit 40-70 yards further away from the field, thus we'd never see it fill up.  And they did it anyways.

Dumb!

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I hope so, and I hope they put the Video board back there where it was suppose to be in the first place.

Stupid asses.  They were told NOT to build that section like that Because it was going to force a couple of thousand to have to sit 40-70 yards further away from the field, thus we'd never see it fill up.  And they did it anyways.

Dumb!

Rick

In all honesty, I think the product on the field has played an infinitely-higher role in the wingzone being empty.

I think it's a great barometer for the need to expand.  
Like you're saying, the seats themselves are very far away from the field.  If we can get attendance high enough to consistently fill that section (more or less), then the demand will certainly be there for a decked student side... which, IIRC, is the 1st step in expansion anyway.  The wingzone will be there for a while, until the horseshoe is completed when needed.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Again, why is this called the "wing zone" when it looks like a tail and positioned like a tail in relation to the rest of the stadium?

First thing they should do is move the Green Brigade to the end zone area and open up their section for students.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Again, why is this called the "wing zone" when it looks like a tail and positioned like a tail in relation to the rest of the stadium?

First thing they should do is move the Green Brigade to the end zone area and open up their section for students.

I like the band behind the visiting team. When we start packing the stadium and bringing in Bigger teams, that will intensify the experience for the other team. Students can pack the wing zone. Call it the eagles nest. Maybe make it for Freshmen. Kind of "earn your wings" zone. That is when we start packing the place. 

On 6/7/2016 at 11:27 AM, greenjoe said:

That's the coolest green bus I've ever seen.

I'd like to see a time when people lined up to get tickets.  Sleeping bags and folding cots in front of the ticket office.  90 makes a good point.  Again.  A double decked student side with luxury boxes needs to be our next need.  I've never been in the wing section but I like it.  Maybe someday I'll bring a sack lunch and hike up there.

GO MEAN GREEN

I sat up there for the SMU game two years ago because it was so dang hot in the lower section.  I hiked my butt up to the top and enjoyed a decent breeze. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I like the band behind the visiting team. When we start packing the stadium and bringing in Bigger teams, that will intensify the experience for the other team. Students can pack the wing zone. Call it the eagles nest. Maybe make it for Freshmen. Kind of "earn your wings" zone. That is when we start packing the place. 

The students invested too much to be relegated to the end zone seating.  Every other school places their band in the end zone.  The band behind the visiting team doesn't cause that big of a distraction considering they are down between the 10 and 20 yard line.  Let the freshmen sit in the upper level of the student side and then move forward/down each year so the seniors sit up front.

We need some Mean Machine dancers from the movie Longest Yard.  Put them on the front row of "the tail" and encourage all that sit there to shake their tail feathers.  The lower section of the end zone should remain for the family packs.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree. It should be the TailZone. Also that sounds like a zone I'd like to be in.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Aquila_Viridis said:

I agree. It should be the TailZone. Also that sounds like a zone I'd like to be in.

Anyone reading from the AD, ahem, make it so?

Also if we finish out the bowl, it would really screw up the eagle in a nest look from outer space. Do we really want to ruin that? (in case anyone is wondering, yes sarcasm).

But for real, expand the student section before, uh, touching that tail. 

But we're, getting WAY ahead of ourselves.

On 6/7/2016 at 7:56 PM, eagle2014 said:

I hope they fill it in. I can't stand the way it looks, it comes off as cheap to me. 

I too agree with this, but why fill it in? We are coming off of a 13K average attendance. There is no demand for more seats. Leave it how it is regardless of how cheap it looks. Make no mistake, it does look cheap though. I thought this since the first time I saw it in 2012. It's a nice looking stadium that did a nose dive for the sake of costs/future expansion in the end-zone seats. That was my first impression. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

So if it is changed from wing zone to tail zone, I guess the sponsorship targets would have to change.  I can think of a couple of potential sponsors that would help with 18-54 male demographic.  It would be a nice touch to have, just above the family fun pack zone.

• Upvote 1

I hope we're in a situation down the road where we need to expand.

I personally love the wing zone. Here's an idea: if we ever needed to expand the wing zone, take the current structure out, extend the upper level of seats on the press box side all the way around to the student side, then add another wing structure above the new end zone upper tier.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1