7 hours ago, Quoner said:

In a thread full of overreactions and kneejerks, my favorite so far is the post scolding JD for not giving up more than 2 top 5 prospects and 2 projects for a rental closer with a drinking and spousal abuse problem. 

I'm sorry, maybe you missed the time where the Yankees gave up nothing to get him from the Reds

• Downvote 3

9 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I'm sorry, maybe you missed the time where the Yankees gave up nothing to get him from the Reds

So you are faulting JD for not pulling the trigger on something when his suspension and future were up in the air when the bullpen looked largely settled after last season? I still disagree, but at least kinda see the logic to it now.

• Upvote 1

I don't think his future was ever in question.  Suspension maybe, but he was still going to be around.  Even if you thought the bullpen was settled, Chapman is the kind of player you go after.  He is the real deal.  Every time I went to a Reds game, I looked forward to seeing him close the game. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

But took on an $8M salary going into arbitration for more money with a suspension coming up. Do you like Chapman more than Desmond?

I haven't seen Desmond in person, but just based on what I've seen, yes.  Chapman is that good.  I didn't realize he was going to be free so soon.  If I had faith in JD, I'd be optimistic in getting him in.  But, he's made some odd moves in my book, that have backfired.

I'm still amazed we haven't parted ways with our strength and conditioning staff.  WAY too may recurring injuries and rehab setbacks.

• Downvote 4

10 hours ago, Rudy said:

I haven't seen Desmond in person, but just based on what I've seen, yes.  Chapman is that good.  I didn't realize he was going to be free so soon.  If I had faith in JD, I'd be optimistic in getting him in.  But, he's made some odd moves in my book, that have backfired.

I'm still amazed we haven't parted ways with our strength and conditioning staff.  WAY too may recurring injuries and rehab setbacks.

So...just to recap...you haven't watched Ian Desmond play and weren't aware he's been arguably the Rangers best player this year (apologies to Cole and Beltre) and you think with a better reliever (who would not have pitched until May) and the removal of Desmond, the team would be better?

JD has some moves to quibble with for sure, but I'm curious which ones you take most issue with? Also, which injuries bother you the most? I'm not trying to lead you anywhere, I'm just genuinely curious bc there's a whole segment of people that stay stuff like this and no one ever asks why.

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

I'm sure those super-cool fastballs will look awesome finishing out another 7-1 loss without the team's most productive offensive player.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

JD sends high-A infielder Travis Demeritte to the Braves for Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez. 

Harrell will stabilize the back-end of the rotation...sinker-baller...won't strike out a lot of people, but should be able to give 6 every night. in terms of quantitative analysis...Harrell has actually out-pitched Hamels over their last 5 starts (speaks more to Cole, in truth)

Alvarez is a plus-arm, especially as a lefty...28K in just 15 innings this season (he had 41 in 23.1 minor league innings this year as well) that's well over a 16k/9 rate...that's even way more than Aroldys Chapman!!

added - everything I've read on Demeritte indicates that he's a plus-power infielder who can't field with a big, long swing that leads him to strike out a lot.  Dan Uggla, as his ceiling, basically. 

Edited by Censored by Laurie
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

JD sends high-A infielder Travis Demeritte to the Braves for Lucas Harrell and Dario Alvarez. 

Harrell will stabilize the back-end of the rotation...sinker-baller...won't strike out a lot of people, but should be able to give 6 every night. in terms of quantitative analysis...Harrell has actually out-pitched Hamels over their last 5 starts (speaks more to Cole, in truth)

Alvarez is a plus-arm, especially as a lefty...28K in just 15 innings this season (he had 41 in 23.1 minor league innings this year as well) that's well over a 16k/9 rate...that's even way more than Aroldys Chapman!!

added - everything I've read on Demeritte indicates that he's a plus-power infielder who can't field with a big, long swing that leads him to strike out a lot.  Dan Uggla, as his ceiling, basically. 

Jeff Sullivan, often accused of hating the Rangers and sometimes happy to confirm it, had a pretty solid write up of the trade: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rangers-land-potential-relief-ace/. Also, Demeritte has already been popped for steroids once and is in a very hitter friendly league. He was always going to be trade fodder the way the pipeline and roster is constructed, so we'll see if they sold him when the time was right. 

In no way shape or form am I taking Chapman over Desmond.  Desmond has been the team's MVP this season without any question whatsoever.  Maybe I'm overreacting and he's having a career year when he's going to be a FA but I would LOVE to see him sign a long term deal here because I think the move to the OF will better help his future years and his production.

You could a bullpen full of Chapmans and Mariano Rivera's but they're only going to be as good as the starting pitching is.  If the starters fail to consistently make it to the 6th and 7th innings at least then they'll still burn out those arms.

5 hours ago, Quoner said:

Jeff Sullivan, often accused of hating the Rangers and sometimes happy to confirm it, had a pretty solid write up of the trade: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rangers-land-potential-relief-ace/. Also, Demeritte has already been popped for steroids once and is in a very hitter friendly league. He was always going to be trade fodder the way the pipeline and roster is constructed, so we'll see if they sold him when the time was right. 

I wonder if JD fished for Teheran or Freddie Freeman at all in these talks. Braves are a long way from competing for mediocre, let alone a division...Rangers could've helped re-stock the farm

The reason I'd take Chapman is relievers like him don't grow on trees. 

As for the injuries, I'd say pretty much all of the repeating injuries and rehab setbacks are in some way the responsibility of the conditioning staff, minus Hamilton. 

7 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

I'm sure those super-cool fastballs will look awesome finishing out another 7-1 loss without the team's most productive offensive player.

And I'm sure those super cool looking home runs are going to look awesome when we still lose by 2-3 or or closer of the month can't finish another save.

This is just like football. Would you take that difference maker at quarterback instead of the receiver who is having a career year?

• Downvote 4

5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

This is just like football. Would you take that difference maker at quarterback instead of the receiver who is having a career year?

Are you comparing a bullpen pitcher to a quarterback?   Or are you thinking Sale?    
Chapman would be more like a kicker.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Rudy said:

As for the injuries, I'd say pretty much all of the repeating injuries and rehab setbacks are in some way the responsibility of the conditioning staff, minus Hamilton. 

And I'm sure those super cool looking home runs are going to look awesome when we still lose by 2-3 or or closer of the month can't finish another save.

Are you familiar with the concept of WAR at all? Are Choo, Holland and Fielder the injuries frustrating you?

Edited by Quoner

5 hours ago, Rudy said:

Relief pitchers and the bullpen is always a year to year proposition.  Obviously I get Chapman is really good and has been for some time now but you always take an every day very very good player than That may save you 35-45 games given he has that many chances to begin with.  Again the issue hasn't been that the bullpen is just bad but the fact that starting pitching has been god awful for about a month or month and a half now and they can't get deep into games resulting in arms just getting overworked, tired and not pitching to their capability.  

Desmond carried the team for the first couple of months in the season and even now he's still prob their best offensive player that is playing at a high level.  Sure he's having a career year but I think think the situation here as well as his position change played a significant role in that and could very well do so going forward as well.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rudy said:

War, you mean like actual combat?  Yes.  and its the repeated setbacks on their injuries that are frustrating, but maybe that's just my kinesiology degree talking.

Cool - based on your background, what do you think they did wrong with them and are doing wrong with others? What do you think other teams are doing right?

Kind of hard to say when I'm not in the training room.  But you are correct when you say other teams are doing something right.  When several players are having the same injury over and over, and when there are repeated setbacks with rehabilitation, you're doing something wrong. 

• Downvote 2

15 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Kind of hard to say when I'm not in the training room.  But you are correct when you say other teams are doing something right.  When several players are having the same injury over and over, and when there are repeated setbacks with rehabilitation, you're doing something wrong. 

Here's the current injury report - what patterns do you see? They appear to all at least be leaning one direction when they get hurt. Is it core-related?

3/1/16 Tanner Scheppers P Torn cartilage, left knee 60-Day Disabled List
3/25/16 Josh Hamilton LF Recovery from left knee surgery 60-Day Disabled List
5/23/16 Drew Stubbs CF Sprained left toe 60-Day Disabled List
6/21/16 Derek Holland P Left shoulder inflammation 60-Day Disabled List
6/22/16 Colby Lewis P Strained right lat muscle 60-Day Disabled List
7/5/16 Bryan Holaday C Bruised left thumb 15-Day Disabled List
7/19/16 Prince Fielder DH Herniated discs in neck 15-Day Disabled List
7/20/16 Shin-soo Choo RF Lower back inflammation 15-Day Disabled List

56 minutes ago, Quoner said:

Here's the current injury report - what patterns do you see? They appear to all at least be leaning one direction when they get hurt. Is it core-related?

I really wish Stubbs and Holaday had gotten hurt at the same exact time. there'd be so many questions...such little plausible deniability 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hope this is not the kiss of death...12 more outs at this writing and the Rangers will put another game on the ASStros and the Marinaras. They are both big losers tonight!

5 hours ago, Quoner said:

I see at least 2 off the top of my head that are recurring injuries, minus Hamilton. His body is just beat to hell at this point. There's not a one answer fits all. And you can't say what someone is doing wrong or right without all of the information.

But when you have guys repeatedly getting hurt, there's an issue and it's the staff's job to figure out what the issue is

• Downvote 1