not sure what you'd be anticipating the Rangers finding in terms of a front-line starter.  I'd give some strong consideration to throwing the farm at Atlanta for Teheran, they might be dumb enough to listen, but failing that prayer, Greinke is really the only one on a bad team, and he's out hurt another few weeks. White Sox are likely selling (not Sale or Quintana), so maybe you roll the dice on James Shields? a 3-4 like Odorizzi, Cashner or Hellickson would help. 

starters - Hamels had back-to-back off nights...it only sounded alarms given everyone else's shit starts during that time. Darvish will find it again as hopefully he gets stretched out..control issues is just rust...he's still missing a ton of bats. add Odorizzi...ride some combination of Griffin, Perez and Lohse until Colbra is back. 

bullpen - Diekman is back soon...Dyson, Bush, Barnette and Claudio seem to be decent bullpen pieces, but team needs a legit 9th inning guy. Robertson is available, Madsen in Oakland...or maybe a bit cheaper Gomez in Philadelphia or Ottovino in Colorado

bats - I'd be on the phone to the White Sox yesterday asking for Melky...then I'd keep my AL Central rolodex out to buzz the Twins for Kurt Suzuki. if San Diego is looking to go a lot younger, Yangervis Solarte would be a great pick up. you can find bats on the cheap...but if you feel you need a big one in there to replace Fielder/Choo...I bet Longoria or Ryan Braun would love a playoff run-in. 

it's a long season. Rangers ran out quickly, but even with a poor run of form are still 3-4 games clear. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Falling apart. Starting pitching injuries and season long slumps by Fielder and Moreland appear to have turned the best team in baseball into one of if not the worst team in baseball the last month. 

Rangers were not as good as their record showed during that run, and are not as bad as they've performed recently. Wouldn't sweat it too much, should be a fun chase for the ALW. Both Astros & Rangers are in that 87-92 win territory.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Rangers were not as good as their record showed during that run, and are not as bad as they've performed recently. Wouldn't sweat it too much, should be a fun chase for the ALW. Both Astros & Rangers are in that 87-92 win territory.

They are that bad right now. Their starting pitching is the worst in the majors right now.

You act like the same players are taking the field. They aren't. Especially on the mound. This is a VASTLY different team than the one that was the best team in baseball in late May/early June.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

They are that bad right now. Their starting pitching is the worst in the majors right now.

You act like the same players are taking the field. They aren't. Especially on the mound. This is a VASTLY different team than the one that was the best team in baseball in late May/early June.

well...tied. both the Rangers and the Diamondbacks have just 5 quality starts over the last 30 days.

that said, they still have a 3.5 game lead over the Astros and are in good wild card shape...which should be their focus because the Astros are about to get a hell of a lot better without making a trade when both Alex Bregman and Yulleski Gurriel up to the majors and Keuchel seems to be getting his shit together.

Dangle Gallo, Brinson, Tate, Mazara...hell...anyone...in front of the Braves for Teheran. when they say no...call the White Sox for Melky/Robertson/Shields...and when they ask too much for the arms send Rua and some kid at high A their way for the Melk-man...then ring up the Phillies for a Hellickson/Jeanmar Gomez package...that runs you, say Andy Ibanez and Yohander Mendez. Kurt Suzuki for "future considerations" and a couple hundred thousand dollars. maybe put in a call to see how in shape that pompous douche father of the year Adam Laroche is?

options abound and Daniels is creative. after 2014, this team should've been down for a half-decade, but he made a series of shrewd moves that any Ranger fan should be grateful for (I'm a neutral observer here)

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Another Darvish loss.

2.5 game lead.

Rick

If you're gonna play in Texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

And the losing streak is over.

Texas wins 7-4 after a scary 9th when Tolleson and Dyson combined to give up 3 runs.

Texas has now won 5 of their last 20 games.

And cudos to the White Sox' Chris Sale for refusing to wear one of their puke ugly 70's era uniforms today.  Reports say he cut up the uni's in the lockerroom while the team was taking batting practice so they couldn't be worn, and was scratched from tonight's lineup and sent home for insubordination....LOL!!!

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/chris-sale-reportedly-home-argument-uniforms/story?id=40828228

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

And cudos to the White Sox' Chris Sale for refusing to wear one of their puke ugly 70's era uniforms today.  

Was it this jersey?

OSZ2v24.jpg

Because I love that jersey.    

I also love the Astros marmalade throwback look:

h8ejzKF.jpg

Then again I like stirrup socks, high crown hats, and knickerbocker pants... so my baseball fashion sense is dated.  

5 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Was it this jersey?

OSZ2v24.jpg

h8ejzKF.jpg

Then again I like stirrup socks, high crown hats, and knickerbocker pants... so my baseball fashion sense is dated.  

I'm reading it was this one which is no where close to their ugliest uni's.  Supposedly it was over discomfort and not over looks?

image.png

When I had heard the story I had imagined it was this one he cut up.

image.jpeg

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I'm reading it was this one which is no where close to their ugliest uni's.  Supposedly it was over discomfort and not over looks?

image.png

When I had heard the story I had imagined it was this one he cut up.

image.jpeg

Rick

I heard the same. I also heard he was pissed because of the heat and having to wear these collared unis.

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Thank you Adrian Beltre!!!

2 run walk off home run...(his second HR of the game).. off of Maddon to beat the A's 7-6.

....and Houston lost.

Back to a 3 game lead.

Rick

And 7 over Seattle. Need to keep this streak going. Fielder being out for the year will help. He obviously hasn't been right all year and now Bannister won't feel a duty to play him. 

Jon Daniels missed the boat again ad missed out on Chapman. 

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:55 AM, Cerebus said:

Was it this jersey?

OSZ2v24.jpg

h8ejzKF.jpg

I think the Astros have maybe the best look in baseball now.  They have a great updated look to their classic uniforms. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It would be really really really awesome if we could get Chris Sale. A lot of the stories I've read have said that it would take Gallo (I'm fine with that) and Profar. I don't know that I'm good with shipping Profar out, especially since he can play every position in the infield, and now that Prince is out he will get more ABs. I'd like to see them perhaps talk to Tampa Bay about Matt Moore or Odorizzi. Tampa wants a power corner infielder, we have Gallo. Build a package around him and get another starter in here (preferably one with a few years of control). It's been tough to watch the last month or so, but I think the Rangers will be just fine.

1 hour ago, mattmartin817 said:

It would be really really really awesome if we could get Chris Sale. A lot of the stories I've read have said that it would take Gallo (I'm fine with that) and Profar. I don't know that I'm good with shipping Profar out, especially since he can play every position in the infield, and now that Prince is out he will get more ABs. I'd like to see them perhaps talk to Tampa Bay about Matt Moore or Odorizzi. Tampa wants a power corner infielder, we have Gallo. Build a package around him and get another starter in here (preferably one with a few years of control). It's been tough to watch the last month or so, but I think the Rangers will be just fine.

Chris Sale is 27 and one of the top 5...maybe 3 pitchers in the game. you send them Profar, Gallo, Brinson...whoever they damn well ask for. take Melky's contract off their books...and inquire about Miguel Gonzalez as well as a cheap 4th starter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sale may be a head case and if he doesn't like the heat, then he doesn't need to come here.  Rumors out there that we may pick up Sabbathia.  I would not deal profar, but would be fine with letting Gallo go. Cabrera is already a two strike player, I believe, so I would also pass on him.

BTW, watched the 30 for 30 short last night, The Deal, about the Rangers dealing ARod to the NY.  We took a SS prospect Arias when we could have had a 2B prospect named Robinson Cano.  Hart was a terrible GM.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Rudy said:

Jon Daniels missed the boat again ad missed out on Chapman. 

I think the Astros have maybe the best look in baseball now.  They have a great updated look to their classic uniforms. 

In a thread full of overreactions and kneejerks, my favorite so far is the post scolding JD for not giving up more than 2 top 5 prospects and 2 projects for a rental closer with a drinking and spousal abuse problem. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Sale may be a head case and if he doesn't like the heat, then he doesn't need to come here.  Rumors out there that we may pick up Sabbathia.  I would not deal profar, but would be fine with letting Gallo go. Cabrera is already a two strike player, I believe, so I would also pass on him.

BTW, watched the 30 for 30 short last night, The Deal, about the Rangers dealing ARod to the NY.  We took a SS prospect Arias when we could have had a 2B prospect named Robinson Cano.  Hart was a terrible GM.

not defending Hart...but you'd be hard-pressed to find a GM without an oops. 

Sale is from Florida and pitched at Florida Gulf Coast in college, so I doubt he'll be too bothered by the heat.

The Dodgers are putting Julio Urias, amongst others, on the table for Sale now that they're without Kershaw (my fantasy team hopes for just a few more weeks). The Red Sox are considering Yoan Moncada and/or Andrew Benintendi. I bet the Astros would put Bregman and McCullers. The Pirates either Glasnow or Tailon. these are all center-pieces of packages the Rangers couldn't sniff.

A package of 3-4 of Profar/Gallo/Mazara/Brinson/Tate might get you moved to the last three pile if these two other clubs come in with their best.  you can't just sit on your prospects in the middle of a very winnable pennant...especially when a bona fide ace is (really, might be) available (assuming you can get him signed). Profar isn't the next Cano...or even Xander Bogaerts...he's Jean Segura if you're lucky. Gallo, at best, is Mark Trumbo/Chris Davis...at worst he's Russel Branyan/Mark Reynolds. Mazara is Kole Calhoun. Brinson is a slow CF (likely corner in the majors) with some pop who strikes out a bunch...so I don't know, Khris Davis? and Tate is 2-3 seasons away from settling into a niche between Carlos Martinez and Jimmy Nelson level prospect. 

it's a no-brainer if he's available and you can get him signed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

not defending Hart...but you'd be hard-pressed to find a GM without an oops. 

Sale is from Florida and pitched at Florida Gulf Coast in college, so I doubt he'll be too bothered by the heat.

The Dodgers are putting Julio Urias, amongst others, on the table for Sale now that they're without Kershaw (my fantasy team hopes for just a few more weeks). The Red Sox are considering Yoan Moncada and/or Andrew Benintendi. I bet the Astros would put Bregman and McCullers. The Pirates either Glasnow or Tailon. these are all center-pieces of packages the Rangers couldn't sniff.

A package of 3-4 of Profar/Gallo/Mazara/Brinson/Tate might get you moved to the last three pile if these two other clubs come in with their best.  you can't just sit on your prospects in the middle of a very winnable pennant...especially when a bona fide ace is (really, might be) available (assuming you can get him signed). Profar isn't the next Cano...or even Xander Bogaerts...he's Jean Segura if you're lucky. Gallo, at best, is Mark Trumbo/Chris Davis...at worst he's Russel Branyan/Mark Reynolds. Mazara is Kole Calhoun. Brinson is a slow CF (likely corner in the majors) with some pop who strikes out a bunch...so I don't know, Khris Davis? and Tate is 2-3 seasons away from settling into a niche between Carlos Martinez and Jimmy Nelson level prospect. 

it's a no-brainer if he's available and you can get him signed.

I agree with the sentiment but not your evaluation of Mazara and Kole Calhoun. That and your Brinson comp make me think you're way too deep in fantasy baseball stat comp land. I'm also sorry about some of the guys I'm guessing you drafted or had to pick up on the waiver wire. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Quoner said:

I agree with the sentiment but not your evaluation of Mazara and Kole Calhoun. That and your Brinson comp make me think you're way too deep in fantasy baseball stat comp land. I'm also sorry about some of the guys I'm guessing you drafted or had to pick up on the waiver wire. 

well...I am far more a fantasy baseball guy. wanna compare notes? we have a big nerds league that over the course of nearly a decade has pared down our scoring to pretty damn well mimic real-life value. 

so ya...it's far more numbers based assessments on Mazara and Brinson...and while I don't think they're far off (I'd love to hear your assessments for their ceilings), I think my over-all point is one I think you agree with...no one is untouchable and certainly the idea of balking at including someone like Profar for someone like Sale is ludicrous. 

1 hour ago, Censored by Laurie said:

well...I am far more a fantasy baseball guy. wanna compare notes? we have a big nerds league that over the course of nearly a decade has pared down our scoring to pretty damn well mimic real-life value. 

so ya...it's far more numbers based assessments on Mazara and Brinson...and while I don't think they're far off (I'd love to hear your assessments for their ceilings), I think my over-all point is one I think you agree with...no one is untouchable and certainly the idea of balking at including someone like Profar for someone like Sale is ludicrous. 

Yes - although your love of deep leagues makes my second place one year league I've been doing for 4 years with a bunch of lawyer types look sad and pointless. That said, you can really build a solid team around Betts, Arenado, Kluber and Quintana. Quintana is my annual fantasy performer I am irrationally tied to in real life trade talks, and Kris Davis is my guy I didn't trust in long enough and got hot right after I made a move. 

I also had no idea that Calhoun was top 4 in WAR this season for RF's, so eff me - I was blinded by Halo hatred, although I still think Mazara becomes a .300 hitter with average defense in a corner spot with 25 homeruns a year consistently within 2 seasons. Even with his slump/adjusting period, he's not that far off that tract. I really don't have a good sense of Brinson this year (just like how the Mazara love really got going this time last year.), mostly bc I never expected him to be anything beyond trade fodder. Also, not that I have the level of dedication to prospects you do, but I have only seen stuff about him having plus defense and speed with the bat lagging behind. Has that changed this year? What role did his injury play?