SEC will one day poach best of ACC, Big 12 as football money gap grows

Harry

On 6/6/2016 at 11:59 PM, outoftown said:

No. It wont happen. The money gap is about to shrink again, as ESPN is losing subscribers and the new ways of selling TV will not bring it the same amount of $. As a consequence we have seen the peak of what TV contracts bring in, and with that, the money gap will shrink again.

As some of you correctly noted, I was wrong here, primarily because my premise that TV contracts will get smaller has not yet come to pass. That said, I am wondering if they really can keep going up and if at any point there will be a ceiling. After all ratings -even accounting for streamers - are going down even for the SEC, and ESPN has been making less profit the last few years.

That said how NIL and the new playoff system will impact interest across conferences is really hard to predict right now.

Edited by outoftown

11 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

This…if ISU gets into the B1G, I’ll be real impressed, since they already have that state sewn up for TV purposes. But if you aren’t UT, OU, and KU, the next few weeks may be very tough on your stomach as fans of the other Big XII schools.

So just for grins consider the remaining 8 Big !2 teams poach 8 of the 10 football programs from the AAC, leaving Tulsa and Tulane behind. I would khing because of existing bowl  affiliations and even a watered down TV contract they could remain a P5 conference while if the AAC absorbed the remaining Big 12 members thy still would be a G5 conference. This could add Tulsa and Tulane to the CUSA WEST moving So. Miss and UAB east. Other than that I don't see any gains for UNT, and this would be a small one at best.

• Upvote 1