'17 QB Cade Pearson (Texas High) [LOI: NT]

24 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

One of the things Littrell said about Pearson is that he can "hold hats". Could one of you more well-versed in coach talk fill me in on what he is referring to?

He's a threat to run. "Holding hats" meaning guys have to pay attention to him running, and have less time to react to who they're supposed to cover or if they're gonna try to tackle the QB.

Anything you can do to make guys think an extra split second rather than react, the better it is for the offense

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 6

35 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

He's a threat to run. "Holding hats" meaning guys have to pay attention to him running, and have less time to react to who they're supposed to cover or if they're gonna try to tackle the QB.

Anything you can do to make guys think an extra split second rather than react, the better it is for the offense

Very much appreciated.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Selective reading from you? Count me as shocked

No, you spent a couple of paragraphs explaining what you look for in terms of a QB.  You used footwork, throwing motion, timing, etc...as traits you look for and then used Tebow as an example of failure and what occurs when players don't possess these traits.  The problem is that Tebow's traits didn't translate to the pro game, but were good enough to win the Heisman one year, be a finalist two other years and play for an elite program at Florida.  What is selective about that?  Is it because I chose to only quote that part of your post?  I read it all.  

Let's be honest, you follow recruiting like the rest of us, although a little more closely, and played the game through high school.  You are just as qualified as the next poster to evaluate a QB and we are all a couple of levels below Littrell and Harrell.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 7

26 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

No, you spent a couple of paragraphs explaining what you look for in terms of a QB.  You used footwork, throwing motion, timing, etc...as traits you look for and then used Tebow as an example of failure and what occurs when players don't possess these traits.  The problem is that Tebow's traits didn't translate to the pro game, but were good enough to win the Heisman one year, be a finalist two other years and play for an elite program at Florida.  What is selective about that?  Is it because I chose to only quote that part of your post?  I read it all.  

Let's be honest, you follow recruiting like the rest of us, although a little more closely, and played the game through high school.  You are just as qualified as the next poster to evaluate a QB and we are all a couple of levels below Littrell and Harrell.

Ah, okay. More proof of selective reading. I never once talked about footwork. And as far as Tebow, I said "that's what killed Tebow," when referencing only his throwing motion, not an example of a player not possessing "traits" plural.

I didn't say Tebow wasn't good in college. Just said that's what killed him, as in, at the NFL level. His throwing motion was why a 6'3", Heisman trophy winning, National Title winning,  1st round pick with a 4-year guaranteed contract who stayed out of trouble only lasted 2 and a half years in the NFL.

He had everything else you look for, but he whipped the ball down by his waist when he threw, which makes it much harder to project the ball than a tight release does, in addition to giving the defense more time to react. Anyone can go in their backyard right now and, if they have any background throwing a football, they can try throwing it normal, then try bringing the ball down by their waist and see how much harder it is to throw a spiral.

I never said I was anymore qualified than other posters. I was asked directly for some pointers on evaluating QB film, so I gave some. 

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Oops, I added footwork.  Regardless, using Tebow as an example of a failure in a thread discussing collegiate QB traits is how your original post read.  Found that odd considering Tebow was a Heisman winner and finalist.  Regardless of your assumption that I used selective reading, I did read your post and agreed with the majority.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Oops, I added footwork.  Regardless, using Tebow as an example of a failure in a thread discussing collegiate QB traits is how your original post read.  Found that odd considering Tebow was a Heisman winner and finalist.  Regardless of your assumption that I used selective reading, I did read your post and agreed with the majority.

Not all QBs are pocket passers and shouldn't be rated as such.  Not sure of the value of rating Tebow as a pocket passer at the college level when that clearly was not his strength. At the college level his strength was as a dual threat and ability to lead. 

Edited by TreeFiddy
  • Upvote 1